• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

USB power upgrade for '86 R80RT

mikefj40

I found this weatherproof USB power outlet from Burns Moto in Redwood City, CA, ($24.00). Now I can keep my phone and bluetooth headset charged while on the road. An added bonus was ordering the part during the Superbowl blackout and having it hand delivered to my mailbox the next day. I'm only a couple of miles from RWC but great customer service nonetheless.

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

USB.jpg

Alternative

Good to see some suppliers addressing the desire to have charge/recharge capabilites on (older) bikes.

On my 1994 R100RT I have a "normal" 12v cigarette outlet mounted bulkhead style in the left "glove box" and wired via a fuse to the battery. Until recently I would just plug in the regular "car" power cord for my 'phone/Scala/MP3 player. More recently I have used a simple low proflie plug/adapter that fits into the car socket yet has two USB sockets so that now I use USB/USB leads to power/charge what ever I need.

All my Airheads have battery tender leads. Looks like you just add the SAE plug and attach the USB socket where the battery tender goes: no extra leads to battery that way. What an easy option this is!

Good to see some suppliers addressing the desire to have charge/recharge capabilites on (older) bikes.

On my 1994 R100RT I have a "normal" 12v cigarette outlet mounted bulkhead style in the left "glove box" and wired via a fuse to the battery. Until recently I would just plug in the regular "car" power cord for my 'phone/Scala/MP3 player. More recently I have used a simple low proflie plug/adapter that fits into the car socket yet has two USB sockets so that now I use USB/USB leads to power/charge what ever I need.

One advantage with this system is that items can be left in the locked "glovebox." In my case the socket is mounted on the bulkhead of the left side glovebox. I do not use a large tank bag so do not have/need a flying lead to feed into it, but I think the OP's product would be a good choice if I did.

I have a couple of those with an SAE pigtail wired to them to use with my Powerlet cords.

In case anyone in Canada is looking to get one, they are on sale currently at Princess Auto for $4.99. They'll ship to US as well, but you may not end up saving much with the shipping included.

My R80 still has the original alternator.

How much extra stuff do you think could be put on it?

When looking at the USB plugs check the amp rating out of it. If you have an Ipad it takes 2 amps for charging. I had to replace all my car charger when I got my Ipad. Make sure the package has Ipad on it. If it does not an Ipad will not charge but will have power to use it.

Don

Back