• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1994 R1100RS Clutch Cable

rd400racer

http://www.rd400racer.com
Coming into work this morning the clutch cable just felt odd. I get a cup of coffee then go outside to check it...pull the lever twice and the cable breaks. Talk about lucky, at least it happened in the parking lot.

Now the fun. I searched every site that I could think of and did some blind google searches and can't find anybody that has this cable for sale. A & S had one but the picture looks completly different. Anyone know of a hook-up? This is my daily rider; I need to get it back on the street!

Its a standard BMW part number. I know because I replaced mine on my 94RS last fall. It too failed much like yours.

Also, replace the plastic bushing in the clutch lever pivot. The bushing wears and wastes lever travel during operation, but also saves wear on the clutch lever itself. Replace any/all sleeves/bushings for that matter.

Then, make certain to lube everything, the bushings/sleeves, pivot boolts, lever pviot point, cable end barrel, etc. That cable end barrel is especially important, because it allows the cable end to remain straight to the cable during clutch lever operation. It relieves any stress on the cable strands right at the crimped on end. Not doing this properpy WILL drastically reduce the cable service life.

This I KNOW from first hand experience. The original cable to the bike, is still zip tied alongside its replacement as a backup. I changed out the original cable at 120,000 miles, but did not properly install the replacement, and it failed right at the clutch lever at 45,000 miles.

Then, make certain to lube everything...

Andy means the machinery at both ends, but not the cable itself. BMW cables are lined with Teflon; if lube is added, the Teflon swells and binds, and is eventually cut by the cable. The clamp-on cable luber isn't used on BMWs.

Last edited:
Get on the phone to whatever BMW motorcycle dealerships you choose.

It is part number 32 73 2 324 962 with an MSRP of about $45.

I finally found one at Beemer Boneyard. Should get it in two days.

I find it ironic that I raced this weekend without a hickup and then break down coming into work on Monday morning!

Back