• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Old Time Radio

I am looking forward to hearing the original "War Of the Worlds" that scared everybody when Orson Wells produced it on the Mercury Theater.

Bob

Lots of folks are into nostalgia for the good old days ... that's why they were the good old days.

Nice archive of radio shows!
I remember listening to CKWG "Stereo 103" (Winnipeg) in the early 80's.
They would have a Comedy Bowl (comedy album tracks) followed by The Shadow
on Sunday nights after 10. I would get into trouble because I was supposed to
be going to sleep and not listening to the radio. (was wearing headphones, but the
Monty Python and Robin Williams records would make me laugh out loud) 35 years
later I'm still listening (no longer CKWG) and am working in radio... an argument
for childhood influences - you decide whether or not they should be followed. :p

But keep this in mind. -- Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hop A Long I listened to on radio then saw him ride by the same rocks and trees every week on TV and maybe liked the radio version better. When one of my uncles came to the house with his"go west on vacation pics" he had a pic of him & my aunt standing with Hop A Long at the studio-I was impressed! My radio aves were: The Phantom-remember-"who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?, The Shadow Knows! Ha HA HA,etc"... and The Lone Ranger-also later on TV(I still think back to that radio show and my anticipation when I hear the William Tell Overture!) and Amos & Andy(I know what people say...) George Burns & Gracie Allen , Jack Benny, and my favorite of all -listening to KU basketball(except for OSU slowdown games-what a drag on the ears) with Clyde Lovellet & later Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain. Now I have this mega screen HD TV and hard to find something worth watching cause only we have a gazillion channels:laugh

I grew up in the mountains in the 50s. We had one weak AM radio station and one very snowy TV station when the wire to the top of the mountain wasn't broken or crossed up. The highlight of my day was when Uncle Remus was broadcast at 5:15 PM on the radio. I loved listening to the gentle old man with his tales of Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox and Brer Bear. My imagination painted a far better picture of the stories than were later depicted on TV and movies (Song of the South).

Unfortunately, our PC society has apparently deprived us of the original recordings of the shows.

Yes, I remember thee Uncle Remus stories with fondness too.

Arent you glad that his descendants have branched out into telling wonderful BMW stories with their exaust note? :)

Ken

Back