• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

information for a short version of Blue Ridge Parkway and Natchez Trace

carlesonra

Greetings Riders,
Thank you for your time in reading this post.
I know many have travelled all 400 miles that are the BRP and Trace and I would like get opinions on which sections are in the "Bucket List must see before" category. Judith and I are working on a camp trailer, 30 day trip accross the country this August-September and would like to experience these classic trails but do not have the time for the entire routes.
We are located in Arroyo Grande, Ca. and would appreciate any direction you could offer.
Thanks,
Bob and Judith Carleson

I rode the BRP this past Fall and would say I enjoyed the southern NC end more with the higher elevations and scenery. I really liked the area around Linn Cove and south. It may also depend on the time of year you're traveling as certain sections at certain elevations may have more flowering shrubs/flowers, it you want to see that. The only area I would avoid is around Roanoke.

I rode the BRP this past Fall and would say I enjoyed the southern NC end more with the higher elevations and scenery. I really liked the area around Linn Cove and south. It may also depend on the time of year you're traveling as certain sections at certain elevations may have more flowering shrubs/flowers, it you want to see that. The only area I would avoid is around Roanoke.

I think you are right. I've done it tip to tip round trip twice and I live close enough that I ride it several times per year near the Va/NC border. The part from the northern end at the top of Afton Mountain to Bedford is good. About 40 miles or so near and around Roanoke is the worst part since civilization has intruded and it is not as interesting. I like the rest but my favorite part is probably the area near Mount Mitchell.

Good info so far-I agree with above. As the BRP goes into Smoky Mtn NP at southern terminus, you might want to get some routes from there & in what direction? Keep asking questions-lot of help here. I like www.motorcycleroads.us to plan trips as you can look one state at a time & there are notes from riders that give info on type of road. As scenic roads are also often twisty that makes for a good camper trip too. Many riders use Google Earth to plan trips too.
I'm a KY "expert" if you come my way I can help.

Nice;

Pismo area, wow. We are just in ClovisCA and rode the Natchez Trace 2 years ago, its full length, South to North. I grew up next to the BRP in Virginia, so its an old favorite too. Get as much in as you can. Both are slow touring byways, but so well worth all the time spent there. Legendary Byways indeed. History, unbelieveable. The Natchez is a tad faster to travel, speeds higher, but NO stopping intersections its entire length for 444 miles. NICE. THE BRP very similarly built with much more elevation changes through the very Blue Mountains. Enjoy, Randy

Greetings Riders,
Thank you for your time in reading this post.
I know many have travelled all 400 miles that are the BRP and Trace and I would like get opinions on which sections are in the "Bucket List must see before" category. Judith and I are working on a camp trailer, 30 day trip accross the country this August-September and would like to experience these classic trails but do not have the time for the entire routes.
We are located in Arroyo Grande, Ca. and would appreciate any direction you could offer.
Thanks,
Bob and Judith Carleson

First and foremost....welcome to the forum...

Good info, thus far and sure few more will chime in...

Do you use a GPS that you can load waypoints, routes?

If so I am attaching a file of the BRP and waypoints and some routes associated with BRP...

Also check this PDF file as well: http://issuu.com/blueridgeparkwayas...issuu.com/v/light/layout.xml&showFlipBtn=true

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• A BRP all Routes, Waypoints, VC, Overlooks.gpx
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Back