• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Careful with that gasket sealant!

You may recall I had a meltdown in my 1963 r69s. Both pistons melted, left worse than right.

So, I have cleaned out the melted piston bits from the head, scraped off the melted piston from the valves (bench grinder was great for that- they just flaked off). Cleaned off the melted piston from the ouside of the valve guides (dremel tool with brass wire bush). Valves lapped, held gasoline in the chambers with no weeping, so I went to start to get the bike ready for the new pistons and bored cans.

I went to clean the engine case, and pull off the old gasket. Here's a pic. There was so much sealant that it plugged the oil passages! Check out the top of the gasket- you can see the sealant oozed into the space and blocked it off. The bottom holes were likewise plugged. While I'm not happy with how this played out, at least this was not my handiwork!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 111
Some people have absolutely no business touching mechanical things. My aircraft mechanic father always reminded me of the pitfalls of too much sealant. Sorry for your demise.

Ouch

So much for splash oiling. On the pre 61? bikes the right cylinder has no oil passage and the splash can keep that cylinder oiled and cool enough although it may be marginal. Slinger cleaning on those bikes is an opportunity to drill an oil passage for that side with a special jig. I wonder if my '59 R60 has one? Gotta go in there some day.
Ralph

Back