• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Say hello!

tmoyer

Intermediate Adventurer
I've noticed lately that when new members post and introduce themselves, many read but few respond. I saw one earlier today that had over 100 views and only 2 replies.

You can post and say hello in less time than it takes to read the message.

Show some love!

Best "love" I can show is to recommend that this forum not be the new person's only contact with MOA.

On the website it's pretty easy to find the location of your nearest club chapter and the benefits of joining will outweigh being a forum member in no time.

Best "love" I can show is to recommend that this forum not be the new person's only contact with MOA.

On the website it's pretty easy to find the location of your nearest club chapter and the benefits of joining will outweigh being a forum member in no time.

The website and forum are a valuable resource, especially for younger folks and folks whose local clubs are either not very active or not in-line with ones interest. The friends I've made through this forum have remained my friends in real life, even though we're not local to one another. In fact, the posts I make on here remain key points of conversations I have with random new people I meet at rallies.

For almost 8 years as a member, I lived pretty close to the headquarters of the MOA itself, on the edge of a pretty famous city. I could count on one hand the amount of local BMWMOA activities I witnessed. In fact, were it not for the internet, there's no way I would have found out about the MOA. There was no local Airhead club when I joined and my interactions with the local club have only made me certain to not officially join.

I'm jealous of those who have a better local scene than the forum.. but I don't think I'm the only one who weighs the situation in the other direction.

The forum is often the first point of contact for a Noob. Many times it's before the bike is purchased. They are excited to be here and I try to make an effort to say Hi and welcome them. I'm guessing many will check back often to see if anyone has replied and that sets the tone for a friendly site/group.

The website and forum are a valuable resource, especially for younger folks and folks whose local clubs are either not very active or not in-line with ones interest. The friends I've made through this forum have remained my friends in real life, even though we're not local to one another. In fact, the posts I make on here remain key points of conversations I have with random new people I meet at rallies.

For almost 8 years as a member, I lived pretty close to the headquarters of the MOA itself, on the edge of a pretty famous city. I could count on one hand the amount of local BMWMOA activities I witnessed. In fact, were it not for the internet, there's no way I would have found out about the MOA. There was no local Airhead club when I joined and my interactions with the local club have only made me certain to not officially join.

I'm jealous of those who have a better local scene than the forum.. but I don't think I'm the only one who weighs the situation in the other direction.

I'm in agreement with you. I live on the southwest edge of the local club that organized the Bloomsburg Rally and I'm on the northwest edge of the MACPAC group which are active contributors to BMWON. I've haven't attended a local function since the late 1990's when the Dutch Country Riders held a parts swap at the Distlefink in Gettysburg. My lack of local participation is clearly a matter of my own choices. However, that doesn't change the fact that all of my interaction with the club is via the forum and, therefore, I feel Newstar's comment/suggestion has merit.

There was no local Airhead club when I joined and my interactions with the local club have only made me certain to not officially join.

Whoops, I should clarify that I was talking about the local generic BMW club that did exist at that time that I discovered BMW motorcycles and the BMWMOA. Unfortunately (now that I've moved away) the Missouri Airheads have recently become a pretty active club that I'm glad to consider myself a member of. The Missouri Air-Marshall Joe and the rest of the crew are good guys. Yet, the first several years of my membership were almost exclusively forum interactions.

Sorta like introducing a relative as............a very distant cousin that we rarely visited from the other side town

Haha.

Sorry....I think I'm probably one of a number of forum visitors that would like to belong to a local club, however live so far away from any of them that it is not practical to be a member of any of them. Having a very busy (by choice) life, and looking at taking two days (round trip W/ overnight stay) out of my schedule to attend meetings, just does not work for me. Might be able to do one meeting a year, however that would not give me the chance to get to know any of the club members. I wish it was different, but I love where I live.....and as a consolation prize...... I have some of the very best (if not the best) motorcycle roads in the US around me.... and that is in any direction I travel from my house! So I guess the forum is my "club" and I have both learned a lot on the forum and have fun on some of the threads.

Guilty:

I will try to change my ways.

Thanks for the reminder.

It would be great if the new members could fill out the profile, completely.

Thanks again. :usa

Saying Hello

Hi guys,
I just joined a few days back. Based out in the Metro Detroit area, and part of the local BMW TCD (Touring Club of Detroit).
Contemplating on joining the MOA events in Gettysburg and Fontana Dam. Anyone know - if I were to pick one, which one should it be?

Thanks much, and I will try to contribute to the forum.

Happy Riding

PJ

PJ, for the best response, you may want to pose your question in the Just Riding section or one of the regional forums.

Having done the Gettysburg rally last year, I would recommend it if you have an interest in the area or Civil War. Sam Booth is an incredible tour guide and one tour is not enough to learn a fraction of what he can tell you.

On the other hand, having been around the Fontana area, I'd love to ride it again. I've not been to the rally there tho.

Hello!

I've noticed lately that when new members post and introduce themselves, many read but few respond. I saw one earlier today that had over 100 views and only 2 replies.

You can post and say hello in less time than it takes to read the message.

Show some love!

Words of Wisdom!

FWIW: I'm not a club kinda guy. I AM a forum kinda guy. I always have a second or three to say hello to a new member of the forum community. I try to extend the same courtesies to someone on line, :type
as I would to them in person. Someone says hello to me, I say hello back. :wave An online forum is a community same as the neighborhood you live in, it really IS that simple. Heck one of the forums I belong to (http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php)is more like a FAMILY than a community- many of us know one another; we hang out at rallies and meets throughout the year, stop in to visit if we're passing thru, and get together whenever possible. :thumb

FWIW, I do go to rallies, meets, etc.- and while there, I talk to anyone and everyone about bikes. Hell, I'll talk to anyone and everyone if I see em at a gas pump! :laugh We'll talk my bikes, your bikes, their bikes, the bike that just went by, traveling on bikes, camping on bikes, new bikes, old bikes, antique bikes, riding bikes... German bikes, Italian bikes, British bikes, Jap bikes, dirt bikes, street bikes... any bikes, all bikes. If at a meet or rally, I'll share my beer :buds , food :eat , water :1drink , or coffee :coffee .

But I ain't joining your club. :violin

Back