• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

front tire wear

TRJeff

Has anyone tried experimenting with diffrent front tire pressures to try to get longer tire wear. My R1150R had 8000 mi and tire cupping was very bad. Any suggestions for longer tire wear? The rear has at least a couple thousand safe miles left.

Higher tire pressure will help reduce cupping, but using your brakes effectively will make your tires cup. Some tires cup worse than others, I had a set of Sportecs that were horrible after a while and Dunlop 205s get pretty wicked toward the end of their life.

Tina and I now have MeZ4s on our bikes. I'm starting to see some cupping on the back, but the front is holding on pretty well.

Check your pressure gauge. I had a problem with cupping and couldn't figure it out. One day I borrowed someone else's gauge. Turned out my El-Cheapo was off by NINE POUNDS.

thanks for the link

Hi cat0020,
Thanks for the link! It explained a lot reading the info. I was getting worried something was wrong with my tires and bike:cry
I only have 4800 miles on my RT and the front tire is cupping like I have never seen before, but in S Florida the roads are rough on tires both for cars and bikes:banghead
Anyway it was good seeing I am not the only one with this issue as I am sure more riders are.
Well stay safe!:clap

I agree Dave, the D205 tires cup like a mother with plenty of tread left on them, almost made my vision blurry from the vibration. I have the MEZ 4's on now as well, and after 5k they are holding up much better than the dunlops did. I find they track in rain grooves much better as well.

Back