• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another Brake Bleed Question

DLBEAMER

I am preparing to bleed the ABS system on my 04 R1150RT, and I have a question concerning the control circuits. I have the PDF documenting that explains bleeding six control circuit bleed screws, but I have also seen reference to a change from BMW to dealer techs. that only two control circuit bleed screws need to be bled.

Can someone please shed some light on this subject?

Thanks,

D. Beamer

I am preparing to bleed the ABS system on my 04 R1150RT, and I have a question concerning the control circuits. I have the PDF documenting that explains bleeding six control circuit bleed screws, but I have also seen reference to a change from BMW to dealer techs. that only two control circuit bleed screws need to be bled.

Can someone please shed some light on this subject?

Thanks,

D. Beamer
I have always bled all 6 in the correct sequence 3F+3R, 1-2-3

I believe some are done annually and the others every other year but off hand I cant say which ones. The correct answer is below.

If this document is true, the change interval would be extended for all ABS2 bikes that have been upgraded to SS Teflon lines.

As far as the procedure goes, once you have the right equipment, bleeding the servo system (ABS3) vs earlier takes just a bit longer.
Usually the tank is off for servicing anyway.

Absolutely! As well as all the other contributors to the Hall of Wisdom - and INCREDIBLE resource so easily taken for granted.:thumb:thumb

Great step by step!

I have been told that microscopic stuff can ruin the ABS modulators, at great expense. Fresh fluid every one or two years is the right thing to do. Brake fluid changes temperature extremely while doing it's job, and thus accumulates condensation and moisture over time. That moisture creates nasty junk that can jam up the works. This link is exactly what I need and was looking for since I do not knnow when the last fluid service was done!

Thank you so much Forum buddies!

I have had the best results finding DOT 4 fluid at my local Walmart.

Beemer Boneyard has a good deal on the funnel needed to service the servo assisted models such as my 2004 RT:
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/abs3funnel.html
I hear they give a BMW MOA discount too!

I'm in Pittsburgh and will be changing my brake fluid in the spring if anyone lives nearby and wants to see how it is done.
I just follow the Advrider instructions and take my time. :thumb

I also plan on a brake bleed this Spring on my 04 R1150RT with 37K. Wondering if it makes good sense to change over to stainless steel lines as part of this procedure? And since I'll have the tank off should I replace the old fuel filter? I plan to check that fuel line quick disconnects are not plastic and will switch out if they are. I've never completed any of these procedures, but with the wealth of info available and great assistance through this forum I'm optimistic the process is pretty straight forward. Any words of advice would be appreciated.

I also plan on a brake bleed this Spring on my 04 R1150RT with 37K. Wondering if it makes good sense to change over to stainless steel lines as part of this procedure? And since I'll have the tank off should I replace the old fuel filter? I plan to check that fuel line quick disconnects are not plastic and will switch out if they are. I've never completed any of these procedures, but with the wealth of info available and great assistance through this forum I'm optimistic the process is pretty straight forward. Any words of advice would be appreciated.

if fuel filter is original 2004 with 37K, yeah, probably a good idea to change it (& maybe even to do the external fuel filter mod- http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/external_filter_R1150RT/index.shtml). you do have to remove tank to do the f.f. swap, so much of the job is already done once body panels and tank are removed.

Back