• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fianally - R1200 C

1. You have purchased one of the ugliest motorcycles to have ever come out of Germany. But that's just my opinion. :laugh
(Having said that, you need to post a picture of it in the, uh, Post a Picture of Your Oilhead section here)

2. Yes.

Nothing like crapping all over a guy's new bike... :p

Your R1200C was representing BMW in the Guggenheim's "Art of the Motorcycle" show. Plus, James Bond rode one, and, to my knowledge, he never rode anything ugly!

Enjoy the ride.

Congrats and lots of safe, fun riding! No need to apologize for buying the C! I had a 2001 "C" and a 2004 "CLC".
They are beautiful and will get you lots of attention. Even Harley guys will look it over and compliment it's looks, when they are alone, but not when they're with other Harley guys!

chromeheads.org is a very very great group of guys and gals. Check the archives there first if you have a question. They had problems with the chrome flaking off the rims, but I never saw a problem with the valve covers. Harley people also complained about their chrome plating back in those days ( late 90s - early 2000s ) due to the environmentally friendly mandated process.

You mentioned New Jersey. Is that where you are located?

Ciao!
George

R1200CLC experience

Who cares what it looks like. Simply say, "I didn't buy it to suit you!" and let it go at that. I have over 75K on my 2004 R1200CLC, and I don't think it's underpowered. Torque curve comes in about 2K rpm, pulls strongly, and cruises at 60 mph in 6th at 2500 rpm. Gets nearly 50 mpg on trips, if you ride without winding out in lower gears. Doesn't seem to matter whether you are riding 2 up or loaded, either. I recommend using premium fuel to lessen spark knock. The only problem I have had with my bike was the final drive failure after 36K, but my dealer split the replacement cost, and you can't ask for more than that b/c it was out of warranty. Only other problem was a failure to start b/c the induction tubes from air box to throttle body had pulled loose. If you notice a lot of backfiring, check those and retighten. I would use StarTron fuel stabilizer over any other for winter storage or infrequent riding, and the only two accessories I have added were Motolights and an AirHawk seat cusion. Big, comfortable, stable at speed, responds to light steering input, gets good mileage. 'Nuff said.

When I was first shopping BMW's I lusted after the R1200C. I eventually ended up buying a R1150R, but I still have a soft spot for the C. They didn't sell well because BMW was clueless about how to market them (no real surprise there).

C update

I too looked for just the right C, thought I had one and it got away. Ended up with a R 1150 RT. Saw one today in Orlando and thought about how I would have liked the ride. And I'm in the camp that thinks it's a classy look. Keep us up to date on how you like the C.

I have an HD friend that says my R 1100 RT is "really funny looking".

To each their own.

Enjoy your new ride. If it works for what you want to do, who cares what others may say.

Being "detuned" it certainly isn't being stressed and should last a long, long time.

Those who own them are certainly loyal owners. So a lot of folks are happy to ride them.

Did I miss the picture??????

Let us know where you have been on your new ride.

I have an HD friend that says my R 1100 RT is "really funny looking".

Some people's children...

Where I grew up there were only three things *off limits*:
1) Telling someone their mama was ugly;
2) Telling someone their GF or wifey was ugly;
3) Telling someone their ride was ugly.

Apparently, some didn't get that memo. (This includes my brother-in-law.)
Maybe they were hall monitors in grade school?

Anyhoo - congrats on yer Cruiser! :thumb

1200 c

What years were they produced and about how many were made.
Why did BMW stop production ?

Don

I found my answer to two questions on Chromeheads.org.
Produced from 1997 thru 2004 and around 29700 were made.

The only thing I cant find out is why production stopped?

Back