• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Show me your Tail Bag.

bobframe

I'm a new 1200GS owner ('06) and I'm trying to decide how to configure my luggage.

I have two general ride types I'm interested in...day trips (100-300 miles) in the southern Appalachians (twisties, gravel roads, fire roads) and "limited duration (3-14 days), some camping, some hoteling" tours.

I currently have BMW Vario panniers and trunk, but want a top loading set of panniers with a more durable mounting system. So, I plan to sell the Varios and start over. I've decided to spring for some aluminum panniers (Zega Pro's, BMW or Jesse Luggage) and now need to figure out how to make best use of the space between the panniers. Having just watched Helge Pedersen's Adventure Touring DVD, I have an immediate bias for his system (aluminum panniers, huge camera bag with rain cover between them, tent and bag strapped to pannier lids).

So, I'm looking for "a bag". A duffel bag would work, as would a camera bag. I'd like to be able to open the bag from the top...so that lets out roll top dry bags. Above all...it's got to be waterproof. Period.

What I think makes sense is to attach a bag (preference is to position the bag parallel to direction of travel) in the space where the pillion seat and the hard luggage trunk box currently is. The advantage of this is that the panniers are able to be opened without detaching the center bag. Off comes the pillion seat and off comes the BMW Vario trunk bag/box and mounting rack. Once this is removed then I'd use the basic platform that is directly behind the seat to attach a bag to.

I figure the bag should extend out to the tail light...maybe slightly hang over....so about 20" long. Width would be limited to 13-14". Height could be 8-10"...but since I'd have to swing my heel over it to mount the bike...no more than that.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,706
Last edited:
There is a company that makes a box called the tail gunner that can go there.
I saw those...nice finished look, but only 15L. I think there's more space to be had than that. I suspect that a bag that used all of the available space would have at least 30-40L of capacity (a bag that is 18" x 13" x 8" = 30L).

Last edited:
Try a"U-bag", much cheaper than a hard case and depending on size capable of holding a lot of gear.

RIDE SAFE

I've only used the BMW Luggage Roll2 twice because of the large size. I believe it's 55 liters.

If I strap a bag on my seat I usually use the 30 liter Ortlieb Travel-Zip.

Travel_Zip.jpg

IMG_00642.JPG

The size medium 30 liter costs $145 shipped from The Touring Store.

If you don't mind a rollup closure, look at the Rack Pack, the 31 liter size in that bag is only $81 shipped.
Size large 49 liter is $89 shipped.
http://www.thetouringstore.com/ORTLIEB/Ort Rack Packs/RACK PACK PAGE.htm

The Travel-Zip bags are on this page.
http://www.thetouringstore.com/ORTLIEB/Ort Travel & City Bags/Ortlieb TRAVEL & CITY PAGE.htm

Back