• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

First Service: 600 Miles

rapz

I'm getting a new R1200RT and I know that the first service is at 600 miles, but just riding home and straight back to the dealer is about a 660 round trip for me. What's that first service entail and how much past 600 miles is "okay"? I mean okay for the bike and okay to not void warranty.

I had over a thousand on mine when I took it in. I watched them perform the service and it was basically fluid changes. I wouldn't be too concerned with running a little over.

Well we can change fluids just about anywhere on the road. I thought they had to readjust cams or belts?

I'm getting a new R1200RT and I know that the first service is at 600 miles, but just riding home and straight back to the dealer is about a 660 round trip for me. What's that first service entail and how much past 600 miles is "okay"? I mean okay for the bike and okay to not void warranty.

First service is primarily used to conduct all run-in checks, updating service date/mileage in the computer and an oil/filter change. There was no throttle body synch, trans or FD fluid change performed during the break-in service. Be advised, the check sheets generated by the dealer appear to change quite frequently and are based on the latest service/repair DVD provided to the dealers from BMW.

I pulled this from the manual in the event you were not aware, "Have the first inspection carried out after 300 - 750 mls (500 - 1200 km)." Based on this there is some room from 600 miles to get the service done. It has always been my intention to have the dealer perform the first service, to minimize future warranty issues, but I will perform all other maintenance on my own.

I hope this helps.

Scot

They changed all the fluids in mine including the FD. With the dual overhead cams the valve adjust was required at the first 6K.

They just changed the oil on mine, but were supposed to change the FD and check the valves, at least according the sheet I have. When I did the valve adjust at 6k, they were very loose and the FD had grey paste come out of it. It's been fine so far, but that was one expensive oil change.

Back