• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

clanking on cold start

poosu

poosu
In the past month my 1999 R1100RS has started a soft but very noticable clanking on cold starts which goes away in about 30 seconds. The colder the louder and longer it lasts, but it's never more than maybe 45 seconds. It seems like once the oil gets flowing all is well and stays good the rest of the day. Here in florida it never gets below 40 in the garage so it's not really cold. I tried a search but didn't find anything.
poosu

I currently am using Castrol 20-50 full synthetic oil. I was unaware of the timing chain tenisioner issue and am almost certain I do not have the replacement. I bought the bike used in 2006 with 10,000 miles on it. The previous owner said nothing about upgrading the tensioner. I'll get one on order. Thanks for your help

I currently am using Castrol 20-50 full synthetic oil. I was unaware of the timing chain tenisioner issue and am almost certain I do not have the replacement. I bought the bike used in 2006 with 10,000 miles on it. The previous owner said nothing about upgrading the tensioner. I'll get one on order. Thanks for your help

You might think of trying Mobil 1 10W40 for the winter.

Last edited:
Obviously I missed the timing chain tensioner upgrade. Are there any other upgrades I should know about?

Obviously I missed the timing chain tensioner upgrade. Are there any other upgrades I should know about?

Have you checked to see if you have the old tensioner yet? It would be wise to do so before you go ahead and order one. :scratch (Post #4)

In the past month my 1999 R1100RS has started a soft but very noticable clanking on cold starts which goes away in about 30 seconds. The colder the louder and longer it lasts, but it's never more than maybe 45 seconds. It seems like once the oil gets flowing all is well and stays good the rest of the day. Here in florida it never gets below 40 in the garage so it's not really cold. I tried a search but didn't find anything.
poosu

I to had the awful clanking on startup. Replaced the left side cam chain tensioner with the upgraded tensioner from BMW and wow! What a difference! Starts are completely rattle free. Not sure if it is my imagination or not but I'm almost positive the bike starts and runs better.

Back