• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tinnitus anyone?

Timely thread.

I got a cold during our winter holiday, and on the trip home, when the aircraft was descending, I experienced excruciating ear pain. I've had tinnitus for about a month, but my doc has said my outer ear canals are clear, the drums are in good shape, and she cleared me to start swimming again. She said the tinnitus would take about a month to clear, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as I'm getting a little tired of it.

All of us wish you the best - i.e. that this is a temporary condition brought on by a cold and exacerbated by the changing air pressure in the airplane. As a kid I had a lot of earaches which makes me wonder if they had any causal effects on my tinnitus. Much more likely are all the loud noise I exposed myself to - loud music, chainsaws, shotguns, etc. - before we had such a thing as earplugs. Or realized the lasting damage that "ringing in your ears" meant some permanent hearing loss and tinnitus in the future.

Most of us old guys have learned (and not too late) to protect what hearing we have left when we expose ourselves to noise, which includes concerts, movie theatres, and motorcycle riding. Tinnitus is always there for most of us. The more fortunate (me included) only notice it some of the time. I really pity those for whom it is a constant in their lives that they can't ever ignore.

I wonder if this issue is getting the attention of young men and women. Don't smoke; wear you seatbelt; yes. Those messages have gotten out. I suspect the warnings about using your cellphone to call or text while driving, or to wear hearing protection around loud sounds either aren't sufficiently out there or have fallen on (not yet) deaf ears.

At the movies....

At the movies....

I haven't been to the movies in quite some time- for a number of reasons. I went yesterday and was shocked at how loud they play the audio. When it was just some talking it was loud, when there was a car wreck or door slamming- it was painful. When I asked my friend (avid movie goer) if it was always that loud, the reply was yes.
I don't know what effect is trying to be achieved with volume/base/surround sound being at that level.......I do know it's not for me.
I would compare the sound level to that of a 70cc chainsaw and as those of you that suffer from tinnitus- that noise volume is best skipped.
OM

Hey, Omega Man, glad I am not alone in thinking volume levels in almost movie theatres are too damn loud. If they were job sites rather than entertainment venues, hearing protection would be required. Maybe somebody with a machine to read decibel levels - and also the desire to sue - should gather some real data. If you (or your kids, or grandkids) still want to attend movies, I've found that foam earplugs not fully inserted do a reasonable job of protecting your hearing. But that shouldn't be necessary.

You're definitely not the only ones. My wife wears ear plugs to most movies. I crank my hearing aids down five or six steps. Lots of future business for audiologists (and hearing aid companies), I guess.

Ditto for wedding receptions and parties, any place with a live band or DJ. Can't talk to friends and family because the music is stupid loud. The app on my phone may not be precise, but I know anything causing 92 -96 db readings at 100 feet is too much. I keep a half dozen sets of foam plugs in the car just to be prepared.

Oh yeah, I've got it. Concerts in the '70's, a few years as a welder in rock quarries and factories, before they handed out ear plugs. Then, I joined the Army, Tanks, spent a lot of time on gunnery ranges etc., and I used to like those white "shorty" helmets, like the Cops wear. One, loooooo-ong high pitched whine that never goes away. :banghead

Ear plugs

I know this is an old thread, but wondered if anyone else has tried "World's Finest Ear Plug"
I love them. Can't say exactly how much sound they block, but very easy to use and seem to work well for me. They say...
The original NRR (noise reduction rating) test resulted in an excellent overall rating of NRR 34.

Duck

Duck - First, welcome to the Forums! Second, I think we could have an earplug thread (which we do...this one), which would be similar to the oil, tire, or after-market seat threads.

Anyway, you may want to investigate E-A-R Plugs, which are made by 3M. See the data page here: http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/worker-health-safety-us/personal-protective-equipment/foam-earplugs#top

For purchase, you can get 200 pairs of them from Amazon for $32. See: https://www.amazon.com/3M-SuperFit-...27140&sr=1-3&keywords=e-a-r+classic+ear+plugs I use a new pair every day I'm riding.

You might like them better than "World's Finest" but maybe not.

I have had Tinnitus since the 60's from farm work and shooting.

I use Nonoise ceramic core ear plugs and use a full face helmet and listen to music to override the dentist drill sounds on both ears.

I also wear them when I attempt to make noise on my bagpipes

"World's Finest Ear Plug"

Duck

I bought a set and after experimenting a while with them returned them for a refund, or a partial refund as was the case. They didn't do as good a job as the 3M or Howard Leight Max plugs, plus I did not like that they could transmit force into the ear canal because of their non-foam solid nature. I have a little bit of Eustachian tube dysfunction so pressures between atmospheric and middle ear don't instantly equalize, so maybe that is why seating these plugs in even gently feels uncomfortable on the affected eardrum, whereas I don't get that w/ foam type plugs. Plus, they take more time to insert and remove. Apparently a whole lot of people like them.

What works best for me is Bose Noise Cancelling ear buds. I wear hearing aids except when I ride. Most always wore foam ear plugs until I heard about the noise cancelling ear buds. It has the foam bear all to hell and it lets me listen to my Sena 20s at a low volume, knocks out most of the wind noise. I thought they were expensive until I tried them and discovered they are worth every penny to me. I like a quite ride.
Bob

Playing live on stage with a guy that thought amps should all be on eleven did me in sometime in the spring of 2003. Yup, I can nail it down to one night (though I'm sure I was priming the pump so to speak for a long time before that). I went to the gig just fine and my ears have been ringing ever since.

After that, and the subsequent near suicidal period that followed, I have a pair of Howard Leight (orange foamy) plugs with me at all times. I buy them by the boxful. Always wore them while riding. I even sleep with them as in quiet places the ringing responds to sound and my CPAP machine is enough to set it off. After about 15 years now I don't really notice it much anymore (except like right now because I'm thinking about it as I type this).

I encounter those V-Twin 'loud-pipe" types, you know, no helmet, straight-pipes you can hear 1/2 a mile away in YOUR car with radio on and the windows rolled-up and just shake my head. Not for the pipes and how obnoxious they are but because I know they have yet to discover the 24/7/365 torture that tinnitus can be. Highway wind-noise and how it can affect your hearing is something people just don't think about so I'm pleased to read here that so many of you guys recognize the danger and are doing something about it.

It kills me that in some states it's actually illegal. To hell with that, write me the ticket...

Good to see this thread revived. Not sure if anyone has ever been ticketed for riding with earplugs - but THAT is certainly a case worth taking to court. "Your Honor, you are really going to fine me for using earplugs on my quiet BMW to protect my hearing from wind noise and do nothing about those straight pipe Harley's which can be heard for over a mile?"

Not sure if anyone has ever been ticketed for riding with earplugs

On every occasion when I have earned a Performance Driving Award, when the officer walks up I always say "give me a second to remove my hearing protection so that I can hear you clearly." I have never had even a mention of my use of hearing protection.

Never occurred to me regarding the legality of hearing protection covering both ears.

Certainly no worse than speakers with music or a telephone ringing in the helmet. Personally I only use a helmet to helmet intercom to communicate with my wife on the rare occassion she rides with me.

Otherwise I protect my hearing as much as possible.
I also add a pinch of Hydrocortisone oitment to my ears before putting the eat plugs in to help reduce the noise level even more. It gives a better deal and the oitment can help absorb some sound.

Playing live on stage with a guy that thought amps should all be on eleven did me in sometime in the spring of 2003. Yup, I can nail it down to one night (though I'm sure I was priming the pump so to speak for a long time before that). I went to the gig just fine and my ears have been ringing ever since.

Nice Spinal Tap 11 reference :rocker

Heard this, thru the ringing in my head this morning about Clapton...go figure , remember Pete Townsend talking about hearing loss himself and their amps seemed to be turned up to 15 when I was younger.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8093823/eric-clapton-tinnitus-diagnosis

Back