Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Tinnitus anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    Timely thread.

I got a cold during our winter holiday, and on the trip home, when the aircraft was descending, I experienced excruciating ear pain. I've had tinnitus for about a month, but my doc has said my outer ear canals are clear, the drums are in good shape, and she cleared me to start swimming again. She said the tinnitus would take about a month to clear, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as I'm getting a little tired of it.
    All of us wish you the best - i.e. that this is a temporary condition brought on by a cold and exacerbated by the changing air pressure in the airplane. As a kid I had a lot of earaches which makes me wonder if they had any causal effects on my tinnitus. Much more likely are all the loud noise I exposed myself to - loud music, chainsaws, shotguns, etc. - before we had such a thing as earplugs. Or realized the lasting damage that "ringing in your ears" meant some permanent hearing loss and tinnitus in the future.

Most of us old guys have learned (and not too late) to protect what hearing we have left when we expose ourselves to noise, which includes concerts, movie theatres, and motorcycle riding. Tinnitus is always there for most of us. The more fortunate (me included) only notice it some of the time. I really pity those for whom it is a constant in their lives that they can't ever ignore.

I wonder if this issue is getting the attention of young men and women. Don't smoke; wear you seatbelt; yes. Those messages have gotten out. I suspect the warnings about using your cellphone to call or text while driving, or to wear hearing protection around loud sounds either aren't sufficiently out there or have fallen on (not yet) deaf ears.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

At the movies....

At the movies....

I haven't been to the movies in quite some time- for a number of reasons. I went yesterday and was shocked at how loud they play the audio. When it was just some talking it was loud, when there was a car wreck or door slamming- it was painful. When I asked my friend (avid movie goer) if it was always that loud, the reply was yes.
    I don't know what effect is trying to be achieved with volume/base/surround sound being at that level.......I do know it's not for me.
    I would compare the sound level to that of a 70cc chainsaw and as those of you that suffer from tinnitus- that noise volume is best skipped.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Hey, Omega Man, glad I am not alone in thinking volume levels in almost movie theatres are too damn loud. If they were job sites rather than entertainment venues, hearing protection would be required. Maybe somebody with a machine to read decibel levels - and also the desire to sue - should gather some real data. If you (or your kids, or grandkids) still want to attend movies, I've found that foam earplugs not fully inserted do a reasonable job of protecting your hearing. But that shouldn't be necessary.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

You're definitely not the only ones. My wife wears ear plugs to most movies. I crank my hearing aids down five or six steps. Lots of future business for audiologists (and hearing aid companies), I guess.
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

Ditto for wedding receptions and parties, any place with a live band or DJ. Can't talk to friends and family because the music is stupid loud. The app on my phone may not be precise, but I know anything causing 92 -96 db readings at 100 feet is too much. I keep a half dozen sets of foam plugs in the car just to be prepared.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Oh yeah, I've got it. Concerts in the '70's, a few years as a welder in rock quarries and factories, before they handed out ear plugs. Then, I joined the Army, Tanks, spent a lot of time on gunnery ranges etc., and I used to like those white "shorty" helmets, like the Cops wear. One, loooooo-ong high pitched whine that never goes away.

Ear plugs

I know this is an old thread, but wondered if anyone else has tried "World's Finest Ear Plug"
    I love them. Can't say exactly how much sound they block, but very easy to use and seem to work well for me. They say...
    The original NRR (noise reduction rating) test resulted in an excellent overall rating of NRR 34.

Duck

Duck - First, welcome to the Forums! Second, I think we could have an earplug thread (which we do...this one), which would be similar to the oil, tire, or after-market seat threads.

Anyway, you may want to investigate E-A-R Plugs, which are made by 3M. See the data page here: http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/worker-he...m-earplugs#top

For purchase, you can get 200 pairs of them from Amazon for $32. See: https://www.amazon.com/3M-SuperFit-U...ssic+ear+plugs I use a new pair every day I'm riding.

You might like them better than "World's Finest" but maybe not.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

I have had Tinnitus since the 60's from farm work and shooting.

I use Nonoise ceramic core ear plugs and use a full face helmet and listen to music to override the dentist drill sounds on both ears.

I also wear them when I attempt to make noise on my bagpipes
    MOA 154245
    IBA 64066
    '07' BMW K1200GT
    '12' BMW R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by duckwv View Post
    "World's Finest Ear Plug"

Duck
    I bought a set and after experimenting a while with them returned them for a refund, or a partial refund as was the case. They didn't do as good a job as the 3M or Howard Leight Max plugs, plus I did not like that they could transmit force into the ear canal because of their non-foam solid nature. I have a little bit of Eustachian tube dysfunction so pressures between atmospheric and middle ear don't instantly equalize, so maybe that is why seating these plugs in even gently feels uncomfortable on the affected eardrum, whereas I don't get that w/ foam type plugs. Plus, they take more time to insert and remove. Apparently a whole lot of people like them.