• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tinnitus anyone?

We all think about wind noise, and for some exhaust noise, and for others work noise, or firearms and explosives noise: but I am willing to bet that more folks have suffered hearing loss from band noise either live or through ear phones or speakers in the privacy and comfort of their own homes or bedrooms in their parents house. :banghead

Forty years of this issue high pitch single tone ringing that never ceases. Never will. I find white noise effective for sleeping (fan), at masking it, being in the wind works for me. Riding really works, I am focused on the machine and ride, concentration on a task can help in my case. I have a profound hearing loss in high frequency (step above severe). If you have hearing loss today's hearing aids are spectacular at the higher end of cost. Also remember the sooner you get them the better chance you have of being able to hear again. Your brain with increasing age will lose the ability to learn hearing again, not much can be done at that point. So get fitted now and enjoy the crinkle of a newspaper or hearing your significant other fully. Took me three months of daily wear to regain hearing. Sounds were like the effervescents off a coke bottle being opened and putting it to your ear. Worth the learning curve. The tinnitus is unchanged, but my world is very different with the hearing aids, no longer closing in of a silent world. Birds are great again. The bike just makes the ring go away.

Hey! Someone is really working on this :clap :thumb

Specially timed signals ease tinnitus symptoms in test aimed at condition's root cause

From the University of Michigan-

http://ns.umich.edu/new/multimedia/...ptoms-in-test-aimed-at-condition-s-root-cause

We sufferers can only hope!

OM

Appreciate the post here. It's good to know that active research/potential treatment is taking place. I've had the Tinnitus for about 10 months now and it's been a pretty big adjustment. No more Bruins, Red Sox Celtics games, noisy restaurants, music shows(bought tickets to 2 different shows recently...forgot it's a no-no). It's the main reason I moved from my Harley to the RT...superior wind protection and quiet. I'm diligent about protecting my ears in everything that I do. I must say, the actual Tinnitus doesn't bother me so much anymore, it's the life modifications that I don't care for.

No more Bruins, Red Sox Celtics games, noisy restaurants, music shows(bought tickets to 2 different shows recently...forgot it's a no-no)...I must say, the actual Tinnitus doesn't bother me so much anymore, it's the life modifications that I don't care for.

Wear earplugs. I continued to play live, go to concerts, shoot guns, etc. so the only change I made was to make sure to have a set a plugs with me at all times. For shooting, I wear earplugs AND earphones (those electronic ones are DA BOMB for me 'cause I hear conversations whilst in the range).

Earplugs don't attenuate equally across the sound spectrum, though there are ones available that are better at this. One does have to get accustomed to that (people complained for a while that I was too loud in the mix but I adjusted). It's a small adjustment as compared to not enjoying these things in life. There's a period of adjustment and in my case that was about a year or two where I became a hermit but once that passed, I don't let it dictate what I do.

Aside from wearing ear plugs when riding, I always carry ear plugs with me. I use them on public transit, on noisy city streets, in some restaurants and to avoid the obnoxious noise, some call music, in malls and stores. I also use them when I use my snow blower and the last time I went to a movie (two decades ago) to deaden the deafening noise of commercials and many parts of the movies themselves.

My tinnitus started when I worked one shift in a steel mill in the section where they hot rolled steel ingots into beams etc. This was a summer job when I was in university. So, I've enjoyed several tinnitus tones in my ears for forty years. Not nice to never have a second of silence.

:ear
Definitely not an old mans ailment, though it is when a lot of folks realize how bad it is and the realization that it isn't going to get better for most of us.
Bad practices and decisions in our younger days...me included just sped up the process. It's one of those things like saying YAWN or mimicking the action makes folks nearby do it, for me , reading about it makes mine very noticeable

EEEEEEEE:banghead

And, um, young spirited older women ;)

I don't mind it first thing in the morning when it sounds like the birds are calling for their breakfast . . .

Voni
sMiling

For me, it is more like a continuous 8khz tone together with crickets chirping... Oh, to go back in time and protect my ears!

tinnitus anyone

about 10 years ago I participated in a tinnitus study at Georgetown University, one can Goggle the results, and the conclusion was what those in the study had in common was shrinkage in a particular part of the brain. So, it is important to wear protection to minimize hearing loss but that in itself may not protect against the onset of tinnitus. Lastly, as one ages another condition to look forward to is age related brain shrinkage (look that up also).:(

Sorry to spread bad news.
)

Brain shrinkage:scratch
Some would think anyone who rides a motorcycle already has this going on as well:dance

Well I swear I've never had a problem with this until I started reading all these posts about it....Now I notice IT. Thanks everyone! :banghead. I do think I'll be more conscious about putting in earplugs when needed. :)

13 really long years. first noticed it about a month AFTER I started using/wearing noise reduction. How loud is it now? Imagine being in a 12X12 room, bare walls, hardwood floor... with 100 locusts on a hot August day. Standing on my deck on a mtn. in the middle of nowhere NH, I used to find immense calm and serenity in absolute silence. I've completely lost any recollection of that experience. 13, really, long, years.

Tinnitus
1) Old people get it.
2) We're all old.
3) We all have Tinnitus.:gerg

I've had it since my early 20's, almost 50 yr now, my own internal symphony. I think maybe it's gotten a bit worse as I got older, tho. I can't remember when it wasn't there but I've learned to block it out so it really doesn't bother me much. It would be awfully quiet without it.

What's the buzz, or at least ringing?

As a retired Army Officer I acquired Tinnitus in 1972 while serving in the Field Artillery. It became worse over the years with explosions and gunfire. After many years I found a formula called RING STOP. It is available on Amazon. I take i capsule 2 times a day with meals. It takes my perceived noise level down 60% to 70%. Worth a try. Hope this helps. Ear plugs of muffs in loud environments will help it from getting worse.

As a retired Army Officer I acquired Tinnitus in 1972 while serving in the Field Artillery. It became worse over the years with explosions and gunfire. After many years I found a formula called RING STOP. It is available on Amazon. I take i capsule 2 times a day with meals. It takes my perceived noise level down 60% to 70%. Worth a try. Hope this helps. Ear plugs of muffs in loud environments will help it from getting worse.

Any reduction would be a help :thumb
OM

When I was fairly young I remember my dad and I both identifying in ourselves at the same time. No idea what life would be like without it.

Thanks for sharing that. I've wondered about those products. Former Armor Crewman here.:ear

Back