Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Tinnitus anyone?

Thanks for that NY times article

I read with respect all those who wrote of damage through their military service. It just is so unfair for them to have lost hearing after all the other risks they took in war and training. Because my father lost most of his hearing from menningitis as a boy, I have always tried to protect mine. Ever since I first read about the damage motorcycle riding could do when I read about it in the early 1980's in the BMW magazine, I have been the poster boy for earplugs. I've spent over 30 years wearing them religiously. I rode to the Prineville National and back from Toronto with my ears bleeding from the plugs but never waivered. I've worn them at movies, noisy concerts, on plane trips etc. I've preached to other riders til they were sick of my preaching
    for years. Last year I woke up with loss of hearing in my left ear. I had a very quick diagnosis and all the 'through the eardrum' shots of steroids and it worked for a while. But I still have tinnitus and have been told it's Muniere's disease. Most of the writers on this thread had it come about by over-exposure to loud noise. I haven't a clue what caused my problem. After all this time I'm still struggling to accept the 'roar' as the new normal. PLEASE tell all those in the dark about the risk and get them wearing earplugs. Bye the way I buy Heighton Laigh soft ones in bulk at the safety supply store at a fraction of the drugstore price and always carry a set on me wherever I go.

Omega Man linked this in with the music thread.

Bumping it as it is a good thread and food for thought on hearing issues.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Omega Man linked this in with the music thread.

Bumping it as it is a good thread and food for thought on hearing issues.
    What?

"I bought a ticket to the circus, I don't know why I was so surprised to see elephants" Norris Church Mailer
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Just talking about it the past few days made me more aware how bad it gets
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I can say this only from looking at the way a friend of mine uses earplugs, but if he is anywhere near the typical user, he simply does not use them the way their stated noise reduction rating demands.

I'm using either 3M's orange foam ones rated at 29dB NRR, or the Howard Leight MAX smooth foam ones rated 33dB NRR. I've since stopped using the MAX plugs because they are a wee bit too long when inserted 'correctly' plus because they are smooth [not open cell foam like the 3M's appear to be] when I have substantial elevation changes while riding, i.e. riding up in elevation, they can back out a little from the pressure differential.

When I insert plugs they go in so far you likely will not know they're in unless you are looking directly into my ear canals--they're that deep. In fact, they are deep enough that I carry a blunt tipped needle holder [for suturing] and have to use these often to extract them. Sometimes I can get them out w/ my finger tips, but about 2/3 of the time not. I am very confident I have the full dB NRR by doing this, and so far despite sitting at point-blank range from massive towers of Marshall amps in my youth, and listening to music w/ ear buds every day of my life [I wear them every night while going to sleep], I have no tinnitus. I love the quiet cocoon-like environment that comes from inserting plugs maximally.

I do use SENA 10R speakers in my helmet and volume is cranked up quite high with these, however this sound goes thru earplugs so is substantially reduced and in fact music sounds better thru plugs because ambient road/engine noise is screened out so well all that's left is music. For reference, at highway speeds on my '16RT w/ stock screen I will often be 2-3 clicks down from max loud w/ the 10R. I do have good hearing still at 63 1/2 years old. To be honest I've only been back out riding for 2.5y and 38K miles so far, but as I say so far no tinnitus.

So do make sure you're inserting your earplugs fully which can be a challenge if you have tortuous ear canals. For me this means really rolling them into a very small cylinder that rapidly burying them before they expand! Helps if they are cooler so they don't re-expand too quickly.

Peace Out!

Who knew?

I hate to believe that misery loves company, but reading these posts has been encouraging.
    I, like a few of you had a youth of loud music, followed by the a lot of shooting in the Army and a long police career.
    Until now, I felt very embarrassed by my hearing loss. My wife had been on my case to get hearing aids, which help in sound discrimination, but just make everything loud and that is at times painful.
    I would not wish this on anyone..... well maybe I wish it on people who make fun of hearing loss.
    I have a good helmet, and I really enjoy music while I'm riding and the Garmin gal is not that bad.
    I rate my hearing deficit around 50 percent. Extended conversation is OK in low noise environments.
    Thank you guys for sharing. This can be a lonely affliction.
    MOA 208707

Yes I have it as well........it amazes me that there is no cure / control for it !!
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Yes I have it as well........it amazes me that there is no cure / control for it !!
    I also suffer from tinnitus and have for quite some time. Not sure exactly what caused it, but I'm certain a life time as a musician and motorcyclist hasn't helped.

While there is no cure, here's a Mayo clinic site that does suggest some treatment that might help:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...e/ptc-20180412