Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Key Management

Key Management

A bit of a noobie questions but I would like thoughts of how you manage the key for your motorcycle. I have a '13 F800GT and the key is very small. I've dropped it several times and worried it's sure to get lost when I'm out somewhere.

With my car I only have one, large, key fob but it's easy to handle. I don't want a clunky key chain scratching up the bike.

So...what do you do?

IMG_5740.JPG

I have my bike key, trunk key and house keys on different rings, but clipped together using a small carabiner. I use the carabiner to clip the keys to myself, backpack, belt loop what have you when I am away from the bike.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by daveycrocket View Post

So...what do you do?
    Rubber key fob with a piece of velcro on it which fastens to another piece of velcro on the triple clamp.

I put a tie-wrap through the hole in the key, just to enlarge the "knob" and make it easier to handle.
    Since I sometimes deal with multiple bikes from other people, I'll match the color of the tie-wrap to the color of the bike.

who says that my key ever leaves the bike

???

ok, almost kidding.... the only time that mine does is when i am traveling or at night when i am parked in front of a hotel... (now that i am thinking about this, i wonder if i should be posting this on a group site with over 30K members). But when i leave the bike and need the key, i put it in my fanny pack (now, i've REALLY dated myself!!!)
    Enjoying the ride, but always on the alert for a rally.......

Here's my key. Easy to pull out of the pocket with gloves on or hang onto with other stuff in the hand.
    20161004_111714.jpg

BMW has a soft cloth key fob, with two keys it sure works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by grendellion View Post
    Here's my key. Easy to pull out of the pocket with gloves on or hang onto with other stuff in the hand.
    20161004_111714.jpg
    This is awesome! Where did you find that?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    ???

ok, almost kidding.... the only time that mine does is when i am traveling or at night when i am parked in front of a hotel... (now that i am thinking about this, i wonder if i should be posting this on a group site with over 30K members). But when i leave the bike and need the key, i put it in my fanny pack (now, i've REALLY dated myself!!!)
    I got a bad cut when I bought a second key and you have to know exactly how to jiggle and the exact distance to pull it out of the slot....I leave it in. Plus my scoot's 16 Y.O. steal this bike!
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by daveycrocket View Post
    This is awesome! Where did you find that?
    I got it from CG Keytags. I thought the price was reasonable and I got it fast. It's held up well over several months of daily use.
    https://cgkeytags.com/

I have acquired similar key tags from the MOA, Wunderlich, Hexcode(GS-911), and Sena at rallies as a freebe. If you attend rallys and visit the vendor areas you are likely to acquire a nice collection. Like grendellion I find key tags very useful while on rides. The brighter the color the better. I have a bad habit of misplacing keys when staying over night on the road. These items have eased that concern, it's been at least 20 years since a misplaced key has ended up lost.

I always carry a backup key in my jacket for use if my key isn't found when it's time to ride to the next destination. This I consider a necessity especially on rides to distant destinations like cross country, Alaska, Newfoundland etc. It hasn't been needed thankfully. To ruin a planned trip because of a misplaced key isn't acceptable. It's always better to be prepared.
    2014 R1200 GSA W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

Double post
    2014 R1200 GSA W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    I have acquired similar key tags from the MOA, Wunderlich, Hexcode(GS-911), and Sena at rallies as a freebe. If you attend rallys and visit the vendor areas you are likely to acquire a nice collection. Like grendellion I find key tags very useful while on rides. The brighter the color the better. I have a bad habit of misplacing keys when staying over night on the road. These items have eased that concern, it's been at least 20 years since a misplaced key has ended up lost.

I always carry a backup key in my jacket for use if my key isn't found when it's time to ride to the next destination. This I consider a necessity especially on rides to distant destinations like cross country, Alaska, Newfoundland etc. It hasn't been needed thankfully. To ruin a planned trip because of a misplaced key isn't acceptable. It's always better to be prepared.
    Great idea on a secondary key. For now I'll buy something soft and bright and hopefully acquire a few more down the road. Especially in weather I'll go through some fairly quickly, guessing.

Thank you to all the respondents with your great ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by grendellion View Post
    I got it from CG Keytags. I thought the price was reasonable and I got it fast. It's held up well over several months of daily use.
    https://cgkeytags.com/
    Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered 3 of those.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

Seems like it didn't or doesn't matter what I use. I lost count of the number of times I left it right there in the ignition. Now one my '16 R 1200 RS, I seem to leave it in the seat lock. I can vouch - that key-socket, keeps one hell of a grip on the key & fob. Far too many miles to find I get to where I am going and there it is, right where I left it. Thank you very much BMW.