• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I normally tune into a couple of the ATV shows such as Fisher's ATV World and Dirt Trax when it's in season. Today on Fisher's show, Brian and his friends from Warn Winch were in the dunes in Oregon. I tried to find the video of the winch-out they did with the Warn XT17 but for some reason- it doesn't exist. I did find another which is a good example of the new self-rescue winch they have come up with. With a bike this heavy, if your out on your own, it looks like a good idea. OM

Alone is me;

I adventure alone about everywhere and the winch seems a great idea. All my years have kept me alive without one, however and a few times, Jeeps have assisted me, which had winches:). I would never replace my rear luggage space with a winch either! It would have to pack in somewhere on the bike and it does seem small enough to put anywhere. When I adventure about, my GSA is well packed for camping and space is used up. A winch may be in my future? RandyGSA1200 could surely use some help at times! Randy

Throw some rope in the bottom of one of your panniers along with some cord and a few carabiners. Learn how to make a Z-drag. Not as nice as a winch, but it will do in a pinch. Both suffer from the same problem... the need for an anchor not too far away.

A fiddle block set-up from a sailing rig is a way to pull also. With the winch, I think the big advantage is being able to steady the bike and just your thumb is working. OM

Throw some rope in the bottom of one of your panniers along with some cord and a few carabiners. Learn how to make a Z-drag. Not as nice as a winch, but it will do in a pinch. Both suffer from the same problem... the need for an anchor not too far away.

This is a much better, lighter, more compact and far lower cost solution.

I tested that winch, and while it's nice, it is *heavy* and all the stuff they show being used in the video takes a ton of room in your bags. Plus, you must have something to tie-off to, and... you really need to be careful where you attach the winch to your bike. It must be a good, balanced attachment point with minimal risk of bending something.

For instance, the video shows an F800 with conventional forks... probably a safe bet. But what about the forks on an oilhead, which are carried by the ball on the Telever, designed to support the weight of the bike, but not pulling the weight of a stuck bike. :dunno

In my testing, I attached to the Hepco-Becker crashbars on my 1150 GS. It worked, but there was some flexing.

What I wish they'd come up with is a system for picking up that heavy mutha when you drop it. Mark - have you ever tried the Z-drag approach for that?

Ian

ps => I saw this system demo'd in 2010 at the Redmond Rally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccebabeca

I would consider using a Z-drag to lift my bike... except there is never an anchor in sight when I drop my bike much less an anchor point somewhere above the bike. The only time I've ever set up the Z-drag was in my yard to make sure I knew how it worked. :laugh

Hmmm, If I add a couple of pulleys and a stuff sack to my existing kit I've got the PSSOR system. The system in use....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhpI6sG12Q

Hmmm, If I add a couple of pulleys and a stuff sack to my existing kit I've got the PSSOR system. The system in use....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhpI6sG12Q

That's what I did. I went to the local outdoor outfitting store MEC, and got all the items to build my own kit for much less money. If you're willing to spend a bit more, you can buy other friction devices that don't require as much rope and knot tying skill to set up and use. I went with the basics and tied my own prussic cords, but I'm well versed in the field as it's part of my job skills as a firefighter. As mentioned before though, when there's no anchor point available, you're back to basics and manual lifting. I also carry a length of 1" tubular webbing to add some additional reach if needed. The great thing about the tubular webbing is it's light and compact while still being quite strong, you can carry a pretty significant length of it without a huge space and weight penalty. You do need to use different knots with it, so it's good to learn those before you need them.

I checked out the video of the bike haul up the stairway and it seems to work. I'm real familiar with ropes, rigging, rescue and knots.
While I'll guess there would be some comments on the cost, this page http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=FB 8315 has all you would need for a self-rescue/mechanical advantage set up. The fiddle block arrangement is simple and effective and the endless loop slings take care of the rest of the rigging- if you decide to go with a manual set-up rather than 12V. OM

Has anyone tried the Z-drag or Fiddle block systems where *you* are the tie-off point, for lifting the bike?

You would still be physically holding the entire weight by yourself if you were the anchor. It might be possible if you could sit low and brace yourself well enough, but I don't know how much easier it would be than just deadlifting the bike with proper technique. The advantage of the lift system is the reduced effort from the mechanical advantage of the pulleys and from the friction devices preventing it slipping back.

Yes, you'd be dealing with all of the weight, but even when you deadlift with correct technique, you're still in a somewhat awkward position. I don't know what's possible... it could be that you use the setup, perhaps in conjunction with an effective harness, and step backwards away from the bike.

All I know is if anyone ever invents a workable/packable system for picking up the bike, there will be a whole ton of very grateful whitebeard adventure riders! :ha

I carry this with me:

i-T7f7xXr-L.jpg

I can easily lift my Dakar off the ground with the block and tackle. The funny thing is that the only time I have needed it was in my yard when i fell and got wedged between two trees...

Picking up a heavy bike

I've seen a video reminding you to put your kick stand down if the bike is laying on the right side so when you get it up it doesn't fall over to the otherside.
Now I just need a kick stand for the right side because I prefer falling over to the left side!

This is a much better, lighter, more compact and far lower cost solution.

I tested that winch, and while it's nice, it is *heavy* and all the stuff they show being used in the video takes a ton of room in your bags. Plus, you must have something to tie-off to, and... you really need to be careful where you attach the winch to your bike. It must be a good, balanced attachment point with minimal risk of bending something.

For instance, the video shows an F800 with conventional forks... probably a safe bet. But what about the forks on an oilhead, which are carried by the ball on the Telever, designed to support the weight of the bike, but not pulling the weight of a stuck bike. :dunno

In my testing, I attached to the Hepco-Becker crashbars on my 1150 GS. It worked, but there was some flexing.

What I wish they'd come up with is a system for picking up that heavy mutha when you drop it. Mark - have you ever tried the Z-drag approach for that?

Ian

ps => I saw this system demo'd in 2010 at the Redmond Rally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccebabeca

To get a bike out of a place that can't be ridden out of I carry an EZ Pull, a very small block and tackle capable of picking up 500 pound, moving it 9' at a time.
Compressed down it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes and weighs very little.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/EZ-Pull-(Adventure-Engineering)__AEN-spc-EZ-spc-PULL.aspx

ezpull_hand.jpg

ezpull_lifting_motorcycle.jpg

In addition I carry a couple of rated slings and carabiners to connect the EZ Pull to the bike and the anchor, which could be something natural or in a pinch I can pound my Enduro Star Trail Stand into the ground if nothing else is around to anchor to.

Thank you Visian! (insert blushing smiley)
I'm surprised nobody here had mentioned the EZ Pull, it's a great kit.

As a freelance contractor it's hard to plan that far in advance, I'm usually working in the summer months but if possible I would like to make it out. Salem is a very attractive area to visit and would love for Nancy and I to explore the area. The last MOA event I went to was the Big Rally in Wisconsin and had a good time. :beer

Back