• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

dual spark or single spark?

plexiform

does the size of the head or the positioning of the bolts holding the cover in place differ at all on an r1100s depening on whether it is a dual spark or single spark? And what exactly does the single vs double mean? On the 2003 BCR model will the same carbon cover fit this bike as any other BCR model, or was there a difference? Thanks for your help!

Single spark plug and dual spark plug versions of the BCR exist and is dependent on year of manufacture. It also appears that there is more than one style of valve cover for these bikes?

Why do you ask? Perhaps if we knew your intent we could be more helpful.

I have a 2003 bcr. I bought aftermarket carbon covers. Holes don't seem to match up. But I haven't actually removed the head cover bolts yet to confirm yet. I have two questions:

1. Is there a difference in bolt pattern on the cylinder head between dual and single? This is important because I bought carbon head covers. I haven't placed them flush on the cycling head yet because I was worried about taking the bolts out.

2. Do I need to do anything before taking cylinder head bolts off (eg. Drain engine oil)? I ask because I did take one bolt off and it had oil on the tip when I pulled it off.

If im clear to remove these bolts then I can figure the answer to qs1 pretty quickly. I've just never removed the cylinder head bolts before. Thanks for your help.

There is a difference between the single and dual plug version of the CF cover, the single is a solid cover the TS has a window and relief around the plug wire/coil assy. I am not sure if they will interchange even if bolt pattern is the same.

There is NO oil held by the CF cover bolts, and for that matter you don't need to drain the oil to pull the entire valve cover to adjust valves, the oil level is well below the bottom of the cylinders and heads. Yes there is a little captured oil that comes out, but that has NO bearing on how full the crank case is.

There is a difference between the single and dual plug version of the CF cover, the single is a solid cover the TS has a window and relief around the plug wire/coil assy. I am not sure if they will interchange even if bolt pattern is the same.

There is NO oil held by the CF cover bolts, and for that matter you don't need to drain the oil to pull the entire valve cover to adjust valves, the oil level is well below the bottom of the cylinders and heads. Yes there is a little captured oil that comes out, but that has NO bearing on how full the crank case is.

Thanks pffog - very helpful. I will pull the bolts off today and figure out if the CF cover bolt pattern is correct for my bike. This should solve my problem. If it does not match I will have a set of brand new glossy finish CF covers for sale.

and just to clarify- you are not doing anything at all with the heads. you are just messing with the valve covers.

yup just the head cover....not messing with anything else. all im trying to do is install CF covers which requires removing two bolts from the head cover.

just to be certain, does this oil level apply to the cylinder leaning down while the bike is on the side stand? BCR has no center stand to keep the cylinders level.

just to be certain, does this oil level apply to the cylinder leaning down while the bike is on the side stand? BCR has no center stand to keep the cylinders level.

Yes, unless it is really leaned over, just look at the sight glass and its level compared to the CYL., normal levels are way lower

Yes, unless it is really leaned over, just look at the sight glass and its level compared to the CYL., normal levels are way lower

Thanks. Bolts off! Now waiting for BMW specific bolts to apply cf covers to head cover...... Got them at www.ascycle.com of course they cost a ton being BMW bolts. Hopefully will be done with this project this afternoon.

does the size of the head or the positioning of the bolts holding the cover in place differ at all on an r1100s depening on whether it is a dual spark or single spark? And what exactly does the single vs double mean? On the 2003 BCR model will the same carbon cover fit this bike as any other BCR model, or was there a difference? Thanks for your help!

The actual valve covers bolt up to the head exactly the same.

The accessory carbon fiber covers for the valve covers differ between single and twin-spark models and since they do I'd assume they're not interchangeable.

Thanks. Bolts off! Now waiting for BMW specific bolts to apply cf covers to head cover...... Got them at www.ascycle.com of course they cost a ton being BMW bolts. Hopefully will be done with this project this afternoon.

Pay close attention to the very low value torque spec when you tighten those head cover bolts; they are easy to strip.

Oh ya, post a pic of the new covers on, or it did not happen:D

Pay close attention to the very low value torque spec when you tighten those head cover bolts; they are easy to strip.

Oh ya, post a pic of the new covers on, or it did not happen:D

thanks...will make sure to not overtighten...what do the specs say to tighten to?

Will post pic when it done...didnt happen today. The bolts from AScycle didnt show up today...forgot it was a mail holiday. Will hope for tomorrow.

8 Nm

Do not try to go snug or seated + 1/8 turn. There is a shoulder built into the screw that bottoms on the face of the head. Once it bottoms, you are done. Going past that just removes threads from the head.

+1 on what rxcrider said. You feel the valve cover screws bottom and you are done. Crosswise tighten pattern as per usual.

I still remember the first time I pulled and replaced my first oilhead valve cover after many years of owning airheads. I was absolutely flabergasted that they had _finally_ designed a valve cover with a sturdy reusable gasket and easy to install screws!

Don't get me wrong here. I love my old airheads but the oilhead valve covers are a thing of beauty and a joy forever. Well done BMW! :german

I still remember the first time I pulled and replaced my first oilhead valve cover after many years of owning airheads. I was absolutely flabergasted that they had _finally_ designed a valve cover with a sturdy reusable gasket and easy to install screws!

Airhead valve cover gaskets are very reusable.

Think I get about 10 years out of them.

Follow up

still not done! Turns out the aftermarket carbon covers from www.nicecycle.com do not fit. Click on the link below for pics.

I've talked to Kyle at nicecycle and he's telling me ot send them back and he'll send me another set made by a different manufacturer. Oh well.....I probably shoudl have bought from BMW but price difference was too great to not try the aftermarket stuff. $485 each side vs. $179 for both......can't blame me for that decision.

More to come when/if the correct fitting covers show up...

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1045836

Carbon Covers installed!

Finally got it done. Guys at www.nicecycle.com finally got the a carbon cover to me that fits right but unfortunately its not the style cover I ordered and paid for. The one I ordered was solid and had no opening in the middle. Either way I think it looks fine and I do not want to drag this out another 6 months waiting for these incompetent people to get me what I ordered back in november of 2012. Just got it and installed it today (3/25/13). If you want to get "nicely" screwed go to www.nicecycle.com.

Attachments

• IMG_5027.jpg
    IMG_5027.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 24
Back