• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

BMW motorcycle oil

M

MCARTER676

I went by my local dealer today to pick up a case of 20w50. They were out, it is on back order and said "they are out all over the country. No one has any". Is that true? Or should I look for another dealer?

My dealer is not out, and oh BTW, if you look at the back of your rider's manual it states that BMW recommends Castrol Oil (when you're not paying a premium for 'BMW' oil that is).

mcarter676 said:
I went by my local dealer today to pick up a case of 20w50. They were out, it is on back order and said "they are out all over the country. No one has any". Is that true? Or should I look for another dealer?

Didn't you know BMW doesn't sell oil, they sell "engine lubricant", which is much more expensive.

By the way - why would you be buying a case? My bike burns engine lubricant, but it would take me quite a while to go through a case...

Go to Autozone or similar and see if they carry Valvoline M/C oil or Mobil-1 m/c oil - that is if you want motorcycle specific stuff.

Other bike dealers are also a source for m/c oil.

BobFV1 said:
Didn't you know BMW doesn't sell oil, they sell "engine lubricant", which is much more expensive.

By the way - why would you be buying a case? My bike burns engine lubricant, but it would take me quite a while to go through a case...

Assuming you need to buy oil for a change, that leaves only eight bottles. Your next two changes are covered, you save two trips, and you get a discount.

dano said:
MOBIL 1 15w/50..... :thumb

I believe the old 15W50 has been discontinued in favor of a 20W50 extended life. I've not seen any data on the new blend. The old one was pretty close to their MC oil.

Mr. Frank said:
I believe the old 15W50 has been discontinued in favor of a 20W50 extended life. I've not seen any data on the new blend. The old one was pretty close to their MC oil.

Yes, I'm aware that MOBIL changed their oil. Not really sure what to think of it, as I recently was in a Target Store in their auto dept., and found that they were closing out their MOBIL 1 15w/50 for $2.24 qt. I bought all 30 qts. they had on the shelf.

Not sure what I'll do when that runs out........... :dunno

dano said:
Yes, I'm aware that MOBIL changed their oil. Not really sure what to think of it, as I recently was in a Target Store in their auto dept., and found that they were closing out their MOBIL 1 15w/50 for $2.24 qt. I bought all 30 qts. they had on the shelf.

Not sure what I'll do when that runs out........... :dunno

That should do you for about 40K miles or you could sell it to desperate BMW riders at 4 bucks a pop.

Case solved

I sent an email, and they responded (see below). I am glad they responded....... :thumb

Dear Mr. Carter:

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems obtaining 20W50 Motor Oil for your R 1150 RT. Regrettably, we are currently experiencing a temporary back order of this motor oil in the U.S. I spoke with our Parts Group regarding this matter, and they indicate delays in the shipment of this oil from Europe has created this shortage. In addition, a recent spike in demand has exceeded the current supply in our domestic warehouses inflaming this situation. However, we did receive confirmation we are expecting a shipment within the next week to eliminate this shortage. I suggest you check back with the Parts department at your BMW Retailer in the next week for an update. On behalf of BMW Motorrad, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you for choosing BMW. If you have any further questions, please respond to this email or contact us at 1-800-831-1117, Mondays through Fridays from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Time.

Regards,
BMW Motorrad USA

mcarter676 said:
I sent an email, and they responded (see below). I am glad they responded....... :thumb

Dear Mr. Carter:

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems obtaining 20W50 Motor Oil for your R 1150 RT. Regrettably, we are currently experiencing a temporary back order of this motor oil in the U.S. I spoke with our Parts Group regarding this matter, and they indicate delays in the shipment of this oil from Europe has created this shortage. In addition, a recent spike in demand has exceeded the current supply in our domestic warehouses inflaming this situation. However, we did receive confirmation we are expecting a shipment within the next week to eliminate this shortage. I suggest you check back with the Parts department at your BMW Retailer in the next week for an update. On behalf of BMW Motorrad, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you for choosing BMW. If you have any further questions, please respond to this email or contact us at 1-800-831-1117, Mondays through Fridays from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Time.

Regards,
BMW Motorrad USA

So I guess you are supposed to park the bike and not ride until the oil comes in? Why no suggestion for an alternative oil to carry you through the shortage?
I am guessing that sales of the new bikes are brisk enough to use more oil than they previously did, and it has them in a bind.

I had a couple extra's anyway. But for future reference...

Boxer engine sales rise in US + Boxer engines like oil = Ship more oil
:dunno

Why do they say it is being shipped from Europe. Isn't BMW oil in the U.S. blended by Spectro? That what my bottle says.

Never really understood why someone would want to use BMW oil?

It's no better than any other premium brand of oil, but Lord knows, it sure costs a lot more, and it's also harder to come by.

Why I ask.....why? :dunno

dano said:
Never really understood why someone would want to use BMW oil?

It's no better than any other premium brand of oil, but Lord knows, it sure costs a lot more, and it's also harder to come by.

Why I ask.....why? :dunno

Geez guys - for the last time, the stuff that goes into your BMW engine is: ENGINE LUBRICANT :D

mcarter676 said:
Dear Mr. Carter:

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems obtaining 20W50 Motor Oil for your R 1150 RT. Regrettably, we are currently experiencing a temporary back order of this motor oil in the U.S. ...
Hmmm... that didn't stop them from sending the 55-gallon drum that I ordered last week. Maybe that's where it all went.

"Engine Lubricant" Only needs to be approved for motorcycle use. Don't run anything that is not made for motorcycles. I use Bardal 20W50 or Harley's 20W50 blend without any issues. Oil brand is like religion...everyone believes something different. Personally, I had seeping issues on my R11S and a older club member told me it was caused by switching to Synthetic (Which I always ran in my Air Head) And after running syn oil for most of the season, I switched back to Dino oil and my seeping has stopped. Synthetic has some great properties, some of which do not belong in motorcycles. (Yes my bike already had 25,000 KM on it before switching to Syn originally.

Don't want to spook any board members, but my experience shows frequency and thicknesses are the two most important qualities in changing your Lubricant!

Tomas :wow

I have to disagree with the use of "motorcycle only" oil. For the most part, it's a marketing gimmick.

I have a friend in the oil industry, specifically, the marketing division. I can and will say this, the oil industry has about as many marketing gimmicks as the car selling business.

I've been riding bikes for 42 years, and not once, have I used a "motorcycle specific" oil. I do stick to name brands though. I've never had an oil related engine failure....of any kind.

The inside of a cycle engine isn't all that different from that of a car / truck engine. Same basic theories.....same basic lubrication requirements. :thumb

And yes....I'm aware of the dry clutch vs. wet clutch scenario. :wave

Back