• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help for a Ride to VA.

deitscher

Schwetzt du aa Deitsch?
Hey fellow riders,

Currently planning a long weekend ride from PA to VA in May. Any tips on places to stay around the greater Charlottesville Area? We are planning stops at Monticello and Appomattox Court House. Looking for cheap but clean lodging and any food (southern style of course) recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Must do roads? We love the twisties. Also, does anyone know of any places in that area that do live hoot-nannies or bluegrass jams on the weekend?

Thanks in advance!

-Doug

Can t help you much with Charlottesville area lodging. While in the appomottox area you will be very close to Lynchburg. Great little city. Lots of lodging choices. Bedford is just west of Lynchburg and just south of the Parkway. Lodging there also and great little resturant i think its call liberty station. In the city of Lynchburg try the Texas Inn. Downtown but just off the expressway. Try the Cheesy Western. Cheap dive of a place thats been there forever.
Floyd Va south of Roanoke and just off the parkway has bluegrass and tradition music. Google the town i am sure you will find it. Also there is a store near Floyd that serves food. I think it s called Tuttles Gap. Food was good qnd a different kind of atmosphere.
Have fun!!

Floyd, VA

As mentioned, Floyd VA is a hotbed of Bluegrass. The Friday night Jamboree is a long running tradition, at the Floyd Country Store. There will be jams going on along the street and in the park, as well as the stage in the Country Store. Hotel Floyd is a nice place to stay right in downtown Floyd. Tuggles Gap on Route 8 at the Blue Ridge Parkway is a great restaraunt with a motel. Pine Tavern on US 221 north of town is a restaraunt/motel also. Not far from Floyd is Meadows of Dan where the Blue Ridge Parkway crosses US 58, Home to Willville Motorcycle Camp. Great campground with some cabin space. http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/
If you do put Floyd on your itinerary, let me know, I may be able to meet you there to enjoy some music.

He's coming to Charlottesville and Appomattox and you guys have routed him all the way down to the crooked road, which is about as far away in Virginia as you can get, nice riding and great camping/hiking and music, but not close.

Send me a PM as I live just west of Charlottesville in Crozet and can help you out with places to stay, food, and I'll check sources to see what type of music is going on while you are here. Our local city rags, The Hook and C-ville also post all the music goings-on and I think their websites are pretty decent as well. Good food on the downtown mall, good BBQ at Belmont Barbeque near downtown, great breweries and riding west of town in Afton/Nellysford area with decent food too. Check out Blue Mountain Brewery (best beer), Devil's Backbone (8 Point is a great IPA), and the less talented Wild Wolf Brewery all within 20 miles of each other along Rte 151 in the Rockfish Valley.

Happy to share more info and feel free to bounce anything off of me. I think I know about 97% of the roads around here. I used to have a KLR so know the gravel roads too. I came through PA and stayed in Bethleham (hmm, cant believe I cant spell that) when I bought my BMW in NY just last Novcember. I'd love to do some more riding in PA as the small towns seem pretty nice.

Cheers,

Rob aka Lakerider

He's coming to Charlottesville and Appomattox and you guys have routed him all the way down to the crooked road, which is about as far away in Virginia as you can get, nice riding and great camping/hiking and music, but not close.

Cheers,

Rob aka Lakerider

OK, Lakerider, we just want to get him to the best riding in VA. I know, you do have the BEST beer around C-ville, and some decent roads... :brow..

Thanks guys!

Guys thanks for all of the tips, but as Rob mentioned, Floyd is a little out of way for this trip. After reading the posts, sounds like I need to get down to Floyd at some point. Rob, I will shoot you a PM to get more info. This will be a friend of mine's first overnight ride and I want to make it a great experience for him.

-Doug

OK, Lakerider, we just want to get him to the best riding in VA. I know, you do have the BEST beer around C-ville, and some decent roads... :brow..

:german:german Love it. Maybe we should send this guy to Bavarian Chef north of town to feed on some great family-style German food and I can route him on some of our area's "decent" roads instead of Rte. 29.

Follow Up Question

Guys and Gals,

Need one more recommendation: a good place to eat in or around Elkins, WV? We will be spending Saturday night there on our way back to PA. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Resturant

:german:german Love it. Maybe we should send this guy to Bavarian Chef north of town to feed on some great family-style German food and I can route him on some of our area's "decent" roads instead of Rte. 29.
Never send a real German to an American "German" resturant!!!! The food is NEVER close to authentic!:nono

Follow Up.

The trip went great. We had nice weather for the most part (minus some rain showers on Saturday in WV). Friday's ride to Charlottesville was hot but fun. Toured Monticello and then had dinner at the Blue Mountain Brewery. What a great place! Thanks for the tip on that joint. Saturday was all day riding from VA into WV. It was great riding Rte 33 again, I had forgotten just how awesome of a road that is. Spent some time around Seneca Rocks and the Germany Valley region. You just can't go wrong with any road in that part of the world. Saturday night found us in Cumberland, MD and then we blitzed home to Central PA Sunday morning. One of the guys riding with us had to get home. Overall we rode a little more than 700 miles. The two newbies who were riding with me, fell in love with touring, which was the goal! Thanks for all the tips and ideas. Now, come on up the mountains of Central PA, so I can return the favor!

-Doug

Glad the trip went well. It is always fun to have those new to riding become enthused about touring. Sort of an affirmation of what you enjoy so much. You touched on a good point. It is hard to go wrong with many of the roads out there. Folks like Osbornik ply those roads all the time and have an exceptional knowledge of the area.

Yeah, I was really pleased with how the two newbies did. I was worried about the mileage planned and how they would react. To my amazement, they both kept saying, "Let's go a little farther." Fine with me! The roads down there are top notch, but you all must come north to central PA, we have some great miles to ride as well.

Back