• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Visitor messages

I haven't encountered visitor messages before, but I thought there was something that let you delete them right from the message page. I've checked some default accounts and I don't see anything about Visitor Messages, only Private Messages. If it's PMs, then you click the box to the right and use the delete feature down at the bottom right where it says Selected Messages.

I also have never dealt with them, but when I look at the visitor message on your profile, Walter, I see that there's an edit link in the top row, and clicking on that brought up a page with the ability to delete the message. This may be because I'm a moderator, but it's the only control I see for it.

My guess is that this version of VB is actually not set up for visitor messages. If it was, the buttons would read-

My Activity --- Visitor Messages--- About Me--- Friends

The buttons here- MOA forum- read-

My Activity---About Me---Friends

However since this version of VB is set up to show an activity stream, it looks like visitor messages. As for deleting the activity stream or chosing not to have it visible, I would have to do some thinking about that.
Does that sound like what you are seeing Walter? Gary

When I view profile I see:

There is nothing obvious that I can use to get rid of the outdated message.

When I view profile I see:

There is nothing obvious that I can use to get rid of the outdated message.
Interesting....
Do you see-at the beginning of each visitor message-
Who the message is from---the day---the time-------------------edit---report---ip----and a square box?
If you do, you should also see a box that says moderation tools.
You would be able to click on the square box and then click on the moderation tools and use the choices to delete.
Let us know if that works Walter, I'm looking at that information from another forum site I help out on (YB). That site is pretty much in an un-altered state and it allows me a different view. Gary

I see

Who the message is from---the day---the time-------------------view conversation----report

When I click on View conversation I see the Visitor message and at the top I see the name of who sent the message and message from X to me and the number of visitor messages, then

Who the message is from---the day---the time-------------------report
the message itself

Walter -

It appears that you don't see the small boxes to the right. In this picture, you can see the small box which allows the message to be tagged for deletion using the tools at the bottom of the screen. As Darryl suggested, maybe only moderators have access to this feature and Gary suggests that maybe full Visitor Message control has not been activated in this upgraded version of VBulletin. If that's the case, then the messages will just have to stay there, or a moderator can delete them for you with your permission. At present, I don't see any Admin settings that might enable this feature.

Attachments

• VisMessage.jpg
    VisMessage.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 27
Nice screen shot Kurt. I believe that if he makes it all the way to the right and clicks on the small box he will then be able to "moderate" his visitor messages (delete them). Gary

It sounds like what Walter is saying, he doesn't have the box...which probably means that only moderators can see it.

What's the purpose of Visitor Messages?
Seems odd some have this option and some don't. I don't have the Visitor Message option.
I can read Walter's Visitor message and Darryl's Visitor Messages.

It sounds like what Walter is saying, he doesn't have the box...which probably means that only moderators can see it.
If that's the case Kurt, upon request we could get rid of that for him.......perhaps the Meadowlands......:deal :whistle

I don't have the Visitor Message option.

Lee - go to Settings, General Settings. There's a spot to turn on/off Visitor Messages. Not really sure what the purpose of the VMs are...we already have PMs.

Lee - go to Settings, General Settings. There's a spot to turn on/off Visitor Messages. Not really sure what the purpose of the VMs are...we already have PMs.

That's interesting, I see Visitor Messages is already set to On. I don't care that it's not working as I would rather PM or email.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have Visitor Messages turned on but there's no tab for me either. :dunno I agree, PMs work better for me.

Back