• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'00 R1100R Suspension Questions

1911XD

I've got just shy of 46k miles on my R11R and I am looking at suspension options. I haven't had much luck with the search function so I apologize if this has been covered in depth. This is mostly a commuter bike, 75-80, miles a day and I occasionally ride two up with the wife.

Do the forks generally need to be rebuilt? Most info I have found seem to ignore the forks and concentrate on the shocks.

Ohlins seems to be the favorite upgrade but it has a hefty price tag. The adjustability may make this the best option.

Wilbers seems like a viable option.

Has anyone rebuilt the OEM shocks with any success?

Thanks! Any info is greatly appreciated!

only real wear part in the forks is the fork seal that occassionally blows out. those get replaced on an "as needed" basis. absenting that, the only real job of the forks is to hold the wheel in place, and to create a connection between the handlebars and the tire. that's why you didn't find anything about rebuilding them- nothing to rebuild.
Wilbers, Ollies, Penske are all best options. There are several other less expensive choices that are also viable. I have a Wilbers in front, Ohlins in back (circumstances of puchasing options is only reason for a mixed pair), they get rebuilt about every 30K.

I purchased a front and rear HYPERPRO SHOCKS from EPM Performance Imports, INC. last spring for my 98 R1100 RT. I could not be more pleased. I ride frequently with my significant other so I got the remote adjustable preload adjuster. It added about $250 to the cost of the rear shock but to me it was worth it. No more reaching in and trying to turn that big nut that did not want to turn on the base of the rear shock with a spanner wrench. It was an aftermarket shock, not the original BMW shock. I always ended up having to use a hammer. Pain in the butt. Now it is simply a matter of removing the bikes side panel and turning the knob.

There is sometimes a discount available from EPM. I got 10% off. The discount code was in an ad they ran in the club magazine. The shocks came with a free shock rebuild coupon. With the discount and shipping the total price came in under $1400.

My girlfriend initially questioned the money spent until she got on back for a ride. The shocks do a great job of smoothing out the bumps.

Back