• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100 GS Locking Gas Cap and Tank bits questions

happy wanderer

Day Dreaming ...
I've found a R100GS which I am going to use on my R80G/S to get about 100km more range. Everything fits OK but I have a few questions as I go through the bits and pieces.
1) Is is possible to change the lock in the gas cap lock tumblers to match my ignition key? I cannot figure out how the lock cylinder would ever come out of there!

2) On MAXBMW fiche 51 25 2 307 140 is what I think I have for a gas cap. They recommend using a non SHED improved cap instead of the one I think I have. What is a SHED cap and why does it cause vapour lock? This tank has two hose outlets, one for ventilation and one for overfill so I don't get why the cap would cause a problem.

3) The petcocks on this tank have two metal washers in between the gasket 16121238924 and the lever. These are not shown on either the MAX or RealOEM fiche which both show the "new improved" petcocks. One of these washers is notched and the outer one has a tab on it. Do these get any special treatment like grease or ??? Any petcock assembly advice much appreciated. I'd like to avoid leaks. :blush

Tried searching using google and the SITE: function. Sure works better than our search engine! Answered all my own questions and put the petcocks back together today no problem. Now I just have to hope they don't leak! :laugh The fuel strainers have a crush washer on them which I hope to reuse. Here is what I found out in case it helps someone else.

- You can re key these caps but it sounds like a bit of a nightmare to get the thing apart according to info I found on Snowbums and Anton's site. The top and bottom need to be hack sawed apart. Not going there...

- Still not 100% on the SHED vs NON SHED caps. Re reading through Snowbums page on this stuff. I confess I took a nap the first time... Maybe it's just a brand name? :dunno

- I've found plenty of info on rebuilding the petcocks. Both Lew and Kurt have posted good stuff on this. Thanks! Mine are obviously old Karcoma units and have been superseded in the parts fiches so that explains why I don't see all the parts in mine on current part lists.

Back