• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Center stand vs side stand?

Are there any adverse effects to a Boxer engine by routinely parking the bike using only the Side stand instead of on the Center stand?
During riding months, I park the bike in my driveway which is concrete, not asphalt. During the winter, I park the bike in my back yard, with a cover inside a ShelterKing cycle bag. I am getting older and pulling my R100RT up onto the center stand is starting to become a chore.
I know that leaning the bike to form a "V", it has more stability in windy conditions.
I know that there is a "problem" with the side stand sinking into soft dirt or melted asphalt during hot summer months.
I know that R1200C's only came with a side stand.

2/17/13
1. 1995 R100RT, with later centerstand (foot pad)
2. Front & rear suspension has been totally rebuilt (no sagging front or rear)
3. During the winter, the bike is on the centerstand with a thin wooden block under the front wheel to elevate it off the ground and to keep the rear tire off the ground as well. AK

Last edited:
I'll kick this off to stir up the hornet's nest!! :hide One issue with using the sidestand all the time is that potentially oil can drain past the rings on the left side into the combustion chamber, resulting in some initial smoke finally leading to oil build up in the chamber. Also, in certain situations with an improper working float system on the left side, gas might be able to build up enough and fill the combustion chamber...then when you hit the start button, you get hydraulic lock and bend a rod. A rare occurrence, for sure.

There is something of a technique to using the centerstand. Hopefully you're using the large pad on the left side of the stand and not the small tang that sticks out. If you've been using the tang, you don't get any leverage plus the tang has probably broken off by now.

I'm a proponent of the Reynolds ride-off stand, not for the purposes of riding off, but for requiring less lift, or up-and-over, in getting the bike on the centerstand. IMO, it's more stable for a majority of parking situations. It can be maybe, maybe, more problematic on softer or uneven ground...not a situation I use often.

My $0.02... :lurk

You can ease the bike up with less effort if you park the rear tire over a piece of wood (thickness may vary depending upon the bike).

Sidestand is indeed the preferred way to park your bike ... in gear of course.

Centerstand is only for maintenance and topping up with fuel.

The only time I bothered to use my Center stand (when I had my Boxer) was for maintenance related issues or for long term storage which was rare unless it was beyond my control. I still consider a center stand a necessity for all street bikes personally.

For winter storage I'd suggest storing on the center stand for a couple of reasons. One being the oil and possibly fuel issue and two is to nicer to the tires over a long period of time.

As your shocks lose their abilities they start to sag and this could leave the rear end of your bike sitting lower - often much lower - than it did when the shocks were newer. This makes raising the bike onto the centerstand MUCH more difficult. The shocks wear slowly so you might not notice this slow change in the handling of the bike, but you will notice that's it's harder or impossible to get it on the stand. I had this with my R100, so I could only get it on the c-stand if I rolled it onto a piece of 2x6. A new pair of shocks and now I can easily get the bike up onto the centerstand. Check the clearance between the rear tire and the fender; if the fender is close to the tire you may have sagging shocks.

I usually use only the sidestand for storage or anytime other than wheel removal

When stored on sidestand and not inspected frequently you need to have a backup
for a tire going down - park against a wall or tie off to something so if a tire goes
down while unattended the bike cannot fall over away from the sidestand

The only time my bike sits on the center stand is in my garage on a hard concrete floor. The side stand is much more stable and is a natural 3-point stance. Carry a side stand 'foot' and stop worrying. I used to park it on the center stand at work (asphalt parking lot) until one hot summer day when I went to lunch and the poor thing was leaning over like a drunken sailor reaching for a non existent lamp post. Another few minutes and it would have been on it's side. It's been side stand ever since. It's your ride, do what you please;)

As the owner of a Boxer Cup Replika, I have to ask what is a center stand??? :laugh

As the owner of a Boxer Cup Replika, I have to ask what is a center stand??? :laugh

It's something that airhead owners with the every so tricky self retracting sidestands use to keep their bikes from lying on the ground.

It's something that airhead owners with the every so tricky self retracting sidestands use to keep their bikes from lying on the ground.

Been there done that. On a hill I dumped Rob Beach's (of Beaches Motorcycle Adventures) personal bike in Italy, when I mistakenly thought it was in gear, and it rolled forward and rolled on its side:blush

There is a difference in center stands. My 81 RT is a pain to get up on the stand but my 84 RS has a foot on it that gives me some extra leverage and it pops right up. I don't know if there're interchangeable, but if your RT is an earlier one, it might be worth checking out.

There is a difference in center stands. My 81 RT is a pain to get up on the stand but my 84 RS has a foot on it that gives me some extra leverage and it pops right up. I don't know if there're interchangeable, but if your RT is an earlier one, it might be worth checking out.

They changed the geometry for the '81 models by lowering the pivot point to clear the cross-over...new springs/shocks it was OK, but things went downhill from there. There was a kit for the '81/'82 models but it is NLA. BMW made further changes for '83 and '84 which is probably why your '84 was better. Likely the parts are interchangeable.

I don't think we heard what year the OP's bike was.

Try a Reynolds

I agree with Kurt's reply and I quote:

"I'm a proponent of the Reynolds ride-off stand, not for the purposes of riding off, but for requiring less lift, or up-and-over, in getting the bike on the centerstand. IMO, it's more stable for a majority of parking situations. It can be maybe, maybe, more problematic on softer or uneven ground...not a situation I use often."

I used a Reynolds on my '80 r100rs for thirty years without problems; It requires much less lift than the stock center stand on my '78 r100rs. Because of my advancing age, I now use the side stand for stability to dismount. I recently acquired a Reynolds ride-off for the '78rs which is going on there soon.

Over the years the 80rs has dropped twice while on the side stand; both times it was on a hard surface. The reason for one drop was a friend admitted he came along and took hold of the handle bars to see what it felt like; it took the pressure off the side stand and it flipped up, he let go of the handle bars; it fell on the ground. The other time I have no idea. But, make sure you have the center stand on a solid surface even if you have to carry a metal plate or a piece of plywood with you.

You stated you were having trouble getting it up on the center stand so the Reynolds might work for you.

DW

Are there any adverse effects to a Boxer engine by routinely parking the bike using only the Side stand instead of on the Center stand?
During riding months, I park the bike in my driveway which is concrete, not asphalt. During the winter, I park the bike in my back yard, with a cover inside a ShelterKing cycle bag. I am getting older and pulling my R100RT up onto the center stand is starting to become a chore.
I know that leaning the bike to form a "V", it has more stability in windy conditions.
I know that there is a "problem" with the side stand sinking into soft dirt or melted asphalt during hot summer months.
I know that R1200C's only came with a side stand.

Here is what I have observed. I have two BMW R100RT, one is a 1982 and the second is a 1989. The 89 is a dream to pull up in the centre stand while the 82, I have to call AMA for a tow truck to get the Bloody Thing up. I have a 2009 R1200RT and I am not sure what this animal is going to be like, as it was delivered just when the snow started to fly so I can't comment.

Agree with the Boss (Kurt) in that "One issue with using the sidestand all the time is that potentially oil can drain past the rings on the left side into the combustion chamber, resulting in some initial smoke finally leading to oil build up in the chamber. Also, in certain situations with an improper working float system on the left side, gas might be able to build up enough and fill the combustion chamber...then when you hit the start button, you get hydraulic lock and bend a rod.";)

Last edited:
FWIW, The last owner of my bike had the center stand shortened so that it is super easy to use.
Not something that I would have done, but it has made life easier.
You could consider this option.

A year or so ago the local BMW shop received several F800GS bikes that had center stands on them that were just a hair too long, and made it very difficult to get the bike up on them. The owners both had the stand cut down about half an inch and they worked great afterward.

Other F800 bikes delivered at the same time did not have that issue, so it appears that BMW sourced the stands from different suppliers, or there was a problem with a jig used to weld them in the first place.

FWIW, The last owner of my bike had the center stand shortened so that it is super easy to use.
Not something that I would have done, but it has made life easier.
You could consider this option.

"had the center stand shortened"

Never thought of that and that makes perfect sense. Thank you!;)

Back