• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Quietest Helmet

OK so in y'alls opinion...what is the most quiet modular helmet available ? I have an older Airoh and it is anything but quiet.

I'm thinking about a new one so...thought I'd ask! I normally were a 1/2 helmet but would like to get away from that,.....tired of eating bugs...:eat

Ron

I have the Shoie Qwest and the Arai Signet Q. Both are supposed to be quiet helmets. On an RT with a big wind screen they are quiet.
However, on anything else they are too noisy without ear plugs. So, if you want quiet helmet, wear ear plugs. The quest for the quiet helmet will never end unless your head gets a custom made helmet. If you are cheap, my recommendation for Ear plugs is the Laser Lite brand from Howard Leight. In my humble opinion, custom helmets are the way to go for quiet helmets.

check out this post:http://www.ducati-superbikes.com/index.php/topic/21800-quiet-helmets/

or this one http://www.helmet-guide.com/quiet-motorcycle-helmet.html

OK so in y'alls opinion...what is the most quiet modular helmet available ? I have an older Airoh and it is anything but quiet.

I'm thinking about a new one so...thought I'd ask! I normally were a 1/2 helmet but would like to get away from that,.....tired of eating bugs...:eat

Ron

According to the independent testing I've seen, Schubert makes the quietest helmets you can buy. It's the neck roll construction that keeps that wind and noise out from below. They're also extremely well made and comfortable if it fits your head shape. My C3 fit pretty well but over time broke in to be just a hair on the loose side. I swapped out the inner liner with one from the new S2 and it now fits perfectly. I just wish they'd make the SRC collar with an input for ear phones.

+1 on Schuberth but, as stated, proper fit is also important. You want the quietest modular that will fit YOU. If you try the Schuberth, or any helmet, wear it around in the shop for at least an hour (jaw locked down). Many people (like me) find it very comfortable at first, but find the helmet painful after about 45 minutes of use. I would also recommend that you wear the same glasses that you wear when you are on the bike. See if you can remove or don the helmet with your glasses in place without any problems. Also, pay attention if your glasses get uncomfortable with the helmet on.

The Schuberth C3 is a fine product, but could easily become a $700 mistake. Your dealer should be eager and very proactive in helping you find the proper fit and brand of helmet.

Wow, someone else had an Airoh! Mine wasn't too bad, much quieter than the Shoei Duotec I had but not a quiet as the Caberg I have now. Consensus is the Shuberth is the way to go but they are way to pricey for me. Tried a Scorpion EXO 900 and really liked it, probably be my next lid. Too many variables in fit, shield height and design, your hight, head shape, etc that effect the noise level.

............... Too many variables in fit, shield height and design, your hight, head shape, etc that effect the noise level.

You forgot to add windshield height and general aerodynamics too.

Make any helmet quiet : http://www.earplugsonline.com/

pack-family.gif

nolan 104 the opening is so big you forget your wearing a modular helmet plus pinlock is included. half the price of a Schuberth

nolan 104 the opening is so big you forget your wearing a modular helmet plus pinlock is included. half the price of a Schuberth

I've got two Nolans. Very comfy for my bean, but not quiet enough to ride w/o earplugs on a naked R75/6. I now wear earplugs on my scooters as well as my hearing is diminished enough as it is.

Price of Quiet

No doubt about it, the Schuberth is quiet... if it fits; and the advice to wear it with face locked down for at least one hour before you declare it a "fit" is spot on (for any helmet). Another thing to consider, especially for wearers of spectacles, is what happens behind the shield when you lower the internal sun visor. In my case it changes the airflow inside the helmet just enough to start my nose itching after about thirty minutes and if my glasses aren't pushed up high on the bridge of my nose the inner visor is subject to make contact with the frames when it's lowered.

When it came to buy I found the Schuberth just too much money for the extra level of quiet that I can achieve with good ear plugs and my Bell Revolver Evo which fits like a glove and has excellent visibility for a full face modular.

As for price- my hearing aids cost me about $3K which buys a lot of cheap helmets that I wish I hadn't over the last fifty some years.

First, IMO, only a fool rides more than a couple miles without ear plugs. I'll ride locally at low speeds without them but anything more than a few miles or speeds over about 40 mph and I'm plugged up.

For me, "Protect your hearing at any cost" means exactly that. Though they are expensive, the Schuberth C3 is worth every cent I spent on mine and Oldwhatshernames. We both have "Shoei heads" - which also means "Schuberth heads".

As noted, you really do need to wear any helmet for a while before you plunk down significant cash. Helmets either fit you correctly - or they don't. You can make some adjustments but comfort means they're easy to wear.

Schuberth C-3 too...........

I have the Schuberth C-3 too and believe it is the quietest helmet I've ever worn.
I had some problems with the fit in the beginning and ordered the Schuberth S-2
liner and swapped out helmet liners, fits like a glove now, very comfortable, very quiet, very light.
I added to SRC system and I'm a happy camper.

Like was said, fit, windshield, etc are contributing factors. My Nolan is quiet, my Scorpions are not, but are as comfortable (almost) as wearing a hat.

Pass on the Vemar Jiano. Less than a year old and the wind noise from the poor seal on the shield makes ear plugs a must even behind the windscreen on a K75RT. Custom Ear Plugs at the m/c show started at $40. Much less expensive than a new helmet.

Another Schuberth lover...

I have a C3 and LOVE it. I did have a "hot spot" on the top of my forehead, but used a spoon to flatten that area in the helmet a little and now it's perfect. Very quiet and the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned.

Quietest Helmet is always the one you wear ear plugs with! You are expecting the unatainable if you are looking for a "quiet" Helmet.

Jack

Last September I splurged for a Shoei Neotec. I'm very pleased with the fit and quiet. Yes, I wear custom earplugs and there is still some noise. Was riding in a high valley just south of Corning NY. No sidewind, and the helmet was totally, eerily silent. Never experienced that before.

The neck roll idea is probably a good one. Any accessory to do that?

The first thing you need to do is have your head measured and evaluated by someone who knows what they're doing. So many people have advised this or that helmet... One of the most important components to comfort and silence is a helmet that fits your head shape. Now, you stated that you wanted the quietest modular helmet on the market. They are, by nature, not quiet, period. Quiet of course is a relative term.

In my opinion, you should strongly consider a full face helmet in the highest quality you can afford. To me, that would mean a Shoei or an Arai helmet. Most people either have a Shoei or Arai head. Arai has the most variations of head shapes to choose from in the world. Dertermine what shape your head is and buy accordingly. If you've never been to www.webbikeworld.com please search this site for helemt reviews. It's worth the read.

The next and most important component to a quiet helmet will be the use of ear plugs. There are a lot of variations of these jewels so be patient. Try the roll up foam, silicone, wax, and even the custom kind until you reach nirvana. For me personally, I've settled on a pair of Moldex Comets, 26 NRR. Washable, reusable, and inexpensive.

I know you are asking for the most qiuet helmet on the market, just don't expect any modular to be as quiet as a full face. It is a certain impossiblility. With every helmet there are trade offs. With modulars, it's noise intrusion.

C-3 is the only helmet that allows you to dispense with the earplugs. It's so quiet inside, you won't need 'em. I've had mine for three years now, and I love it. I'm a daily rider, riding at least 200 miles a week. I live in Seattle, so I'm often riding in the rain. The helmet has performed flawlessly for three years.

Back