• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

First Rally... Ever

Quiet?

Andy said:
...is the quite camping, truely quite?
Well.... I only have a couple rally's under belt, but have been kept awake by the nocturnal thunder. Bring a couple pair of soft foam earplugs that you can sleep on, should help.

Park Rapids on...

If you have the time, following the Muddy Miss, either Hywy 61 in MN or Hywy 35 (my fav) on the WI side are great rides. We're taking the scenic from the Twin Cities to about the Quad Cities then 24 across.

Circuitous routing

Andy said:
Just my luck...I buy a new 04 GT this year, and my first rally will be the this one, only a hop, skip and 100 mile jump up from southwest ohio.

Like I heard someone else say:

Distance from A to B, is 100 miles "as a crow flies" but might be 200 miles by car. We don't criticize the car for the difference. The same trip might be 400 miles by motorcycle. Hey, it's not the motorcycle's fault, either. :D

Another friend says, "The shortest distance between two points is irrelevant."

So, take the scenic route to Lima, or home from Lima.

At least you don't have a straight-line 600 mile route from home to Lima...time constraints keep me from adding much excitement to my route.

Andy said:
I am not concerned about gear as much as people keeping me from my solid weekend crash time (especially if I have a few :))

this is generally the reason i have a few, solid weekend crash time no matter the situation!

Ditto on the deer

Just remember you don't hit the one you see, you hit the one behind it.
Motolights make great deer finders up close, just look for the eyes!

Sir. Put down the road map and step away....

robin
Why are you still home? If my Adult Supevisor said take as much time as you need I would be out the door RIGHT NOW. You can always wait to check the tires at the first gas stop and there are Salvation Army stores if you need to get something else to wear.

Tom42 posted a good set of direciton to avoid Chicago with some scenic routes and stops. Here is the link. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?p=70271&posted=1#post70271

I helped plan the routes and did some pre-rides for him. You don't need to go as far south as 24. You'll get rnough of that long straight boring road after you get into Eastern Indiana.

Ear plugs and an open mind, you will have a great time! Try Volunteering too great way to get involved.

A properly packed bike

See picture for instructions on how/what to pack ion your bike

27135842-L.jpg

Harley

MarkF said:
What's that extra tire hiding behind your bike?

Would you beleive it's a harley. I had to look at it and think for a moment. We were having a party to celebrate the final pour of the new driveway. :clap :clap :clap 72 yards total in four pours. Bike is a real sweet looking custom chopper, it's rare because it does not leak oil. That was a pre-requisite to parking on the new driveway. His front tire was going flat, we had to pump it up before he left, Go figure :dunno :dunno

Mark11LT said:
I'm thinking of taking the 12:30 am ferry on the way there. Grab some zzzz's then get up and go.
way back is still up in the air, would prefer the UP route, or just round trip on ferry.

Mark,
Does this mean you are not going to camp in my back yard on Wednesday 20 July??? :dunno
Fritz in Owosso MI

Fritz said:
Mark,
Does this mean you are not going to camp in my back yard on Wednesday 20 July??? :dunno
Fritz in Owosso MI

not sure yet, most likely will be a game time descision, I like to explore all my options, plan a bunch of routes, and then make a rash last minute choice. seems to work best for me.

robinje said:
As far as packing, I picked up a Helen 2 Wheels dry bag that should hold most of my camping gear. I'll mount it on the rear seat. My other stuff should fit in the side bags no problem. Except for a cheap lawn chair, which I intend to buy at Wal Mart in Lima. I have much experience with my camping gear (not via motorcycle), so a trial run using it isn't necessary. I may pack it all up and ride with it a bit for a handling perspective, however.

Again, thanks for the tips. See ya there!

Jim

Jim, the trial run isn't for the setting up your gear it is to make sure that everything is packed securely to your bike with no obstructions that could hinder your movement or reactions while riding. A loose bag can spell disaster on the road.

Helen Two Wheels bags are a good choice as they are designed to work on bikes. I hope you bought her straps or are planning on using similar webbing straps, as bunggees can permit movement and shifting of weight while riding with undesirable handling effects. I use bungees only for smaller and lighter weight objects. Everything else is strapped tight! Try to pack heavier objects lower on the bike in the saddlebags to keep center of gravity low.

When you get to the rally, if you want some peace and quiet camp as far away from the vendor, food and entertainment area as possible. Camping near showers is convenient, but foot traffic and comotion will be heavy around them.

Leave space to bring stuff home as vendors will be plentiful. :thumb

Travel safe and see you in Lima!

Rick G

Mark11LT said:
not sure yet, most likely will be a game time descision, I like to explore all my options, plan a bunch of routes, and then make a rash last minute choice. seems to work best for me.

Probably not Toledo this time, right?

Jim, a BMW International rally is like a huge 3-ring circus, with all sorts of things going on at once. Most participants arrive on Wednesday, and get registered (or pick up their pre-registration packets) at the registration booth Thursday morning. Then it's mark up your rally program as you decide where you want to be, and in-between it's wander through the vendor area gawking at can't-do-without items that threaten to melt down your plastic cards.

There are usually three different camping areas, based on anticipated rowdyness/quiet. Usually, you're so exhausted from strolling the grounds that sleep is not a problem. And normally there are hot showers available, both indoor and outside in a portable trailer. Very civilized camping.

Typically, there are food vendors on the grounds, so you can spend the duration right there, except when you and some new-found buddies decide to go eat at Kewpies or some other restaurant.

The rally is (amazing as it sounds) staffed by volunteers. So, be one. Volunteer for some interesting task for a few hours. Gate duty is always fun. You get to make everyone show their arm bands to get in, and you'll have the absolute best seat in the house to scope out the bikes and people coming and going. Smile, crack a joke, but make 'em show their armbands. Or sell tickets at the beer tent, or help with cleanup, or whatever. But DO volunteer.

Do attend some seminars. See a travelogue by famous tour operators. Talk about riding skills. Learn how to pick up a fallen bike. Listen to the experts demonstrating the internals of various engines. Meet some journalists. Join us for "coffee with Dave" (ON editor Sandy Cohen will be at the Friday "coffee").

Or, sign up for the Experienced RiderCourse, and get some practice under your belt. If that's too tame, sign up for the track school.

And, if at any time you're feeling bored or lonely, just walk up to the nearest group and introduce yourself. Don't be bashful. Walk right up to other rallygoers and start a conversation. "Hi, where you from? What are you riding? Any seminars strike your fancy? I'm Jim, from..." You'll meet some great people, learn a few things, and maybe have the time of your life. You'll probably find a bunch you enjoy and end up late at night carousing in the beer tent, or sitting around having a heavy duty discussion about riding to Alaska, or Tierra del Fuego, or Russia, or South Africa, with people who have actually been there.

But my absolute best advice is to not hurry to or from the rally as fast as you can. Use the rally as an excuse to ride to Lima, but plan the most circuitous route you can. Get out that Rand McNally, and find the twistiest little back roads that run through the smallest towns on the map. Squander several days at 150 miles per day. Enjoy the ride, and don't be so nervous that you have to rush home. Think about including some other events, such as a visit to the AMA museum, or a tour of the round barns of Ohio. Past issues of Owners News are a good source of ideas.

pmdave :thumb

robinje said:
Hello all. My wife just said "take as long as you need" to attend the rally, so I will be on my way come July! This will be my first rally of any kind and I don't really know what to expect. I plan to camp in a tent at the rally site. Do any of you ship your camping gear ahead of time, or do you simply pack it on the bike? I have pretty minimalist stuff, so my RT should have plenty of room, especially traveling solo. I have never camped via motorcycle either, so this whole trip will REALLY be something new! I am really looking forward to attending. By the way, I am from Park Rapids, MN and plan to take the ferry to avoid Chicago on the way down. I think I'll go through Chicago on the way back, though, as I hope the traffic will be much less of a factor on Sunday. Enough rambling...

See you there...

Jim
I'm in the same boat.. back to biking after a more then 15 year absence, and have never done a rally. Am fighting back and forth about this one. Probably won't decide until Wednesday if I'll be going or not. I'll be coming from Southern MD (Dameron to be exact, right outside of PAX River NAS), about a 600 mile trip, and I'll be going solo, unless I hook up with other people form the area. Have taken many trips up that way by car, commuting back and forth from NW PA to here, but this would be the longest trip by bike. This would be my first Rally, my first long trip in over 15 years, etc etc.. Lots of worries, but would really enjoy the rally.

Hey Bob,
I don't think you will have any problems coming to the rally. 600 mile day is VERY easy on these new Beemers.

Only concern..the weather. Stay hydrated and dry. See ya in ohio.

Andy said:
Just my luck...I buy a new 04 GT this year, and my first rally will be the this one, only a hop, skip and 100 mile jump up from southwest ohio. Since I have never been to a rally before, I thought I would ask...is the quite camping, truely quite? I camp/backpack a lot so I am not concerned about gear as much as people keeping me from my solid weekend crash time (especially if I have a few :))

Earplugs are your rally camping friend.

Kenny2 said:
Hey Bob,
I don't think you will have any problems coming to the rally. 600 mile day is VERY easy on these new Beemers.

Only concern..the weather. Stay hydrated and dry. See ya in ohio.
OK, right now the plan is leaving Thursday AM.. can't get the time off to leave Wednesday.. and heading back Sunday AM.. Would I be missing anything good on Thursday? Or will I get there just in time to make fun of the drunks??

I doubt there are any rooms available up there, so guess I will have to camp.. and all the good places will be taken by then.. any suggestions as to where?

Back