• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Backwards Zipper ?

wkottd

I recently purchased a TourShell jacket. It seems nice, but the zipper is on the left side for both the outer jacket and inner liner. IÔÇÖll probably get used to it, but right now it seems awkward. Does any one know why they use a left handed Zipper?

Thanks
Bill

Was it made in England? The Barbour waxed cotton clothing that I use is the same kinda deal. OM

Because it's a European design. This is a common design among Euro clothing designers. I have 2 Rev'It jackets that both have "backwards" zippers. Once you use them a few times, it becomes natural.

waterproof?

I just picked up a Tourshell jacket today. I didn't expect the left hand zipper but I'll get used to it

Wore it home 100 mile trip loved it.

I'm hoping it's as waterproof as they claim

I got so used to my Rev'It jacket that I forget where the zipper is on my Olympia.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

leftie

Anyone who says this is a "European" design is an idiot. Everyone with the slightest degree of intelligence knows that the 'wrong side' zipper, just like a blouse, is made for women.
You bought the wrong jacket.:laugh

Anyone who says this is a "European" design is an idiot. Everyone with the slightest degree of intelligence knows that the 'wrong side' zipper, just like a blouse, is made for women.

Whoa! Really? Hope you're joking. Some designers actually have the zippers that way even on men's jackets. My Hugo Boss dress coats and over coats are left handed zippers.

Calling people's comments out as idiots? Really? I've seen very few responses like that on this forum.

If a person has trouble with a zipper should they be allowed to ride a motorcycle?:doh:laugh

If a lifetime of freedom from zipper problems was a requirement for a motorcycle endorsement, I'd have never gotten mine. (Think I was about 5 when I first caught my scrotum in a pants zipper. Mommie!!!) Can't recall THAT again being a problem, but certainly have had problems with rain jacket zippers, tank bag zippers, and ... I believe that zipper problems are not unknown in even BMW branded garments. I can (and do) live with left hand zippers.

Whoa! Really? Hope you're joking. Some designers actually have the zippers that way even on men's jackets. My Hugo Boss dress coats and over coats are left handed zippers.

Calling people's comments out as idiots? Really? I've seen very few responses like that on this forum.

I'm going to guess that since his interest is ballroom dancing that if he isn't joking his point doesn't hold much water.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

I thought it was just humor and simply wasn't in the "special" mood required to take offense.

But I have to say after years and years of BMW jackets, I never noticed. I mean, the zipper's in the center of the front of the jacket, after all. I can sleep on a mattress with a pea under it, too.

PS: If you go to Barbasol's Facebook page you can find someone complaining about their World War 2 themed commercial because his grandfather died in that conflict. Some don't have to look far to find something to complain about, it appears. Still, "listen hashtag, stop LOLing everything."

Thanks for the replies.

You bought the wrong jacket.

It did say ÔÇ£mens size 60" on one of the tags.
I donÔÇÖt deny being an idot though (My wife will vouch for it).

If a person has trouble with a zipper should they be allowed to ride a motorcycle?

Point taken However, after almost 50 years of riding, Im kinda on the wrong end of the timeline to benefit from it.

Of course itÔÇÖs a small issue; I just thought IÔÇÖd tap into the wisdom of this forum to learn if there was a reason for it.

By the way, does anyone know what kind of oil I should use in my RT ?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I don't know about the oil. That left handed zipper is a European thing. You know, they do drive on the wrong side of the road? At least that is my American view of the problem!

For what it is worth, my BMW (MEN'S) jacket has a left handed European/woman's zipper also. Like you, it was awkward for me in the beginning. After a while, you get use to it. And when the zipper is covered up, the jacket still looks manly.

You have a good day,
John

In the US mens and womens zippers are opposite.

Between the US and Europe, mens zippers are opposite for some reason. I had a British jacket like that once.

I have no experience with European women or their zippers, hooks buttons or velcro.

Richard? Is that you?

I have no experience with European women or their zippers, hooks buttons or velcro.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that last sentence? (97% sure) However, my life experience with European women appears to be in line with yours. I am coming up on 30 years with the same wonderful California girl. Of those 4 closure methods, I do prefer velcro!!!

Back