• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R12R - Canisterectomy and Tank vent fault codes

fletchdude

As part of my new shock installation I pulled the canister and jumpered the tank vent to the hose that goes down to the left foot peg. I hooked up the GS-911 and checked for fault codes, all is well. Now I'd like to pull the tank vent switch as it looks ugly and has no function with the canister removed. So I then disconnect the electrical connector that goes to the tank vent switch and check the fault codes again. Now I get a fault code for the tank vent switch. I hook it back up and the fault clears. OK, the engine runs great with the switch electrically disconnected. Should I care if I have a fault code for the vent switch?, ie would this fault then set a chain of events further down the Motronic stream or can I ignore this?

Ignore it at your own PERIL

The Charcoal Canister Police will detect the fault code when they pass you on the highway or from the DRONE that is flying overhead as we speak and take your Birthday AWAY .

Great, I'm already in trouble with the mattress police for removing the tag.....

My only concern is having the fault effect engine management functionality. I can't imagine why it would but this is a BMW.

Canister code

Great, I'm already in trouble with the mattress police for removing the tag.....

My only concern is having the fault effect engine management functionality. I can't imagine why it would but this is a BMW.

I normally tape the connector up so no water or dirt can get at it and strap it out of the way and leave on. It has not been a issue on the past five bikes that I have removed the canister from.

And yes they found me and I no longer have a birthday.

Dave

Ummm... Jim, why not just leave the valve in and connected electrically (like mine is..)? It really doesn't weigh enough to give a performance edge by removing it, and the current draw on it is in the microamp range.

Engineers sometimes overthink things.

Thanks Dave.

When I was researching this topic someone had posted "no issues disconnecting the switch and confirmed by the GS-911". So when I got a fault code my first thought was, well does this really mean anything outside of no reply from the switch now that its disconnected? If you think about this a bit more, its really whats missing: there are no engine fault codes as in everything else but the switch are just fine. Since you have had your switches out for years with no problems that seals the deal. Thanks a bunch!

Don, yes I could leave the switch in but its really nasty outside and I can't ride my bike so I keep wandering in the garage poking at stuff. The bike design is really clean and then there is this ugly switch. Maybe I should have gone to medical school instead of engineering. I seem to be pulled towards surgery (now "switchectomy")

Fletch

Idea

Fletch,
Why not leave it connected and move the switch to some concealed location. No seeum/No Fault code.

Back