• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cylinder base gasket

Atomic City Boxer
When I pulled my right cylinder today, I was somewhat surprised that it doesn't seem to have any type of base gasket. (The jug is not machined for the base o ring style, but I had expected to find a base gasket...)

The bike is a 1980 R100...did they not use base gaskets in certain years or did a previous mechanic just not install one?

Thanks....

That right cylinder base has long accumulated a light oil stain where it joins the block...hmmm...I wonder

After doing some reading I find that my bike apparently doesn't have a base gasket. nor is set up for the big O ring...
(just the two smaller O rings on the two upper studs.)

Question is do I want to put a very thin film of gasket sealer on the base....

Probably not. I don't mind cleaning the slight mist stains that appear over time...rather than having to remove gasket sealer the next time I am in there.

My 81 R100RT does have nikasil cylinders and uses a large O-ring at the base. I still apply a very slight amount of RTV type sealant to the flat surfaces. Did I say VERY SLIGHT!

I have used the lightest of a skim coat of Hylomar with great results.

I am getting replacement cylinders from Ted Porter for my R100/7 topend rebuild. The kit contains 9.5:1 compression pistons, too high for me and I'd rather not covert to dual plug ignition at this time. He will be including a compression reduction gasket which knocks it down to 8.8:1. As for sealant, Ted said he puts a thin smear on the engine base, and then another thin smear on the outboard portion of the gasket. He doesn't put any on the base of the cylinder as that will get messy when handling the cylinder for ring installation.

I believe Ted no longer uses the Hylomar. What did he recommend?

His sealant of choice is Permatex Ultra Gray...at least he didn't offer anything else when I suggested it in my email to him.

Back