• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hunting for tools.

Roguetek

I'm trying to find a few tools, and I'm hoping to tap into the collective wisdom, and hopefully save myself a couple of bucks, and several hours of searching.

I'm looking for:

1. The pin wrench that takes the top cap off the forks.

2. A transmission shim plate for 5 speeds.

3. a valve spring compressor, suitable for removing airhead valve springs.

4. a carb balancer.

1. Harbor Freight sells an adjustable pin wrench

2. At the recent National in Sedalia, Matt Parkhouse shimmed a transmission without the use of a plate...he just used some straight bars and made the measurements.

3. No real help...seems like a C-clamp with a forked-foot on one end could be used to press the spring and keeper.

4. Check Resources and Links thread...there's a section on Carb Synchronizers. In reality, you don't need a fancy tool. Two spokes that act as spark extenders along with two long handled screwdrivers can be used to short each cylinder in order to adjust the running cylinder.

re: pin wrenches

Harbor Freight has an adjustable pin wrench for $4. Given their "reputation" for quality tools, this one really is a good deal for the bucks.

image_17531.jpg

There's always the OEM pin wrench that came in the tool roll (which I'm guessing you no longer have/had)
MAXBMW (and others) usually have them in stock for around $20. Or you could try eBay, etc. for a used one.

71111237858_2_B.jpg

I'm a slow typer.. ... .

you could make your own pin wrench with some flat stock and drill a couple of holes at the right distance apart then drift in two pins.

I tried to build an adjustable pin wrench using a cheap crescent wrench. I used some roll pins but the whole set up isn't solid enough and the pins tend to pull out or twist. I'd buy the HF cheapo...I spent way too much time on something that didn't work so well.

"hmmm but if you used steel rod, instead of roll pins, and tig welded them into place"

I used the butt ends of a couple of scrap drill bits in a piece of 5/8 x 1/4 cold rolled & turn it with a Crescent wrench.

Carb balancer - Took an old Pressure/ Vacuum fuel pump gage and a big pickle jar with a couple of lines soldered into the lid; put the gage in the jar w/one vac line to the gage & the other to the jar. When the gage reads zero the carbs are balanced. Had to pinch the lines a bit to keep the needle from jumping. (vice grips)

no need to weld the pins in place just a friction fit is all that's needed. I used an old drill bit. Drill the holes smaller that the pins used so they press in place.

The BMW toolkit tool works really nicely for this.

Cycleworks sells and/or rents (I forget which) an aluminum one. www.cycleworks.net Nice thick plate, patterned with permission after John Chay's steel ones.

I have an old-style one (probably made to the ancient BMW drawings) that I'd sell, since I now use a steel Chay plate. But you'd probably be better off with a Chay plate, too.

I remove valve springs with a press. It's overkill but it's the most convenient thing around.

Carb tools are everywhere, but the Twinmax remains a popular one.

I'm trying to find a few tools, and I'm hoping to tap into the collective wisdom, and hopefully save myself a couple of bucks, and several hours of searching.

I'm looking for:

3. a valve spring compressor, suitable for removing airhead valve springs.

4. a carb balancer.

1. A strap wrench works just as well - the image of a spindle wrench is for adjusting the steering head bearing preload.
2. Use solder placed on the bearings to deform when the cover is reinstalled. Install and remove cover then measure solder deformation.
3. Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's "rent" valve spring compressors (for free if you return it undamaged).
4. I use the spark shorting method with 4mm (spark plug ends) screwed into 4mm threaded rod. I think that method works better. YMMV.

Good luck!

Pics of the hillbilly carb balancer

The original pickle jar didn't make the trip when we moved so I had to whip up the Mark II version using silicone and a salsa jar. When both sides are in balance the gage reads the same as when the engine is not running.

carb tool 001.jpgcarb tool 003.jpg

Just bite the bullet and buy the proper tool, saves a lot of hassle in the long run. There are a few different carb balancers out there, so just do your homework. I find the Carbtune works well and no mercury or other odd du dads to mess around with.

The old saying, " that there is nothing cheaper than the rider ", is true in a lot of cases, and I'm guilty of that from time to time. Good tools will last you a lifetime and make the job so much easier.

Back