• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front Wheel Runout R1100RT

ChrisM47

A pothole at a railroad crossing bent the front rim of my RT.

The front wheel I received from a well known used parts dealer for my 1999 model has 1.8mm axial, 2mm radial runout, using a dial indicator on a wheel truing stand, with the tire mounted and inflated. The haynes manual shows maximum axial and radial runout for the front wheel of the R11xxRT as 0.5mm.

Although eager to get back on the road, I intend to return the wheel and search for another.
Seems silly to ask this question as the runout is more than 3x the manual's listed service limit, but is this wheel considered serviceable?

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Chris M.

if your original wheel is trashed, you might want to consider getting the "new-used" one repaired. these guys are very good. http://mcwheel.com/
have you mounted the wheel on the bike yet? if so.. how does it ride? were you able to balance it? those 2 answers address your original question, but i would not be confident long-term on a rim that is very far out of true.

Thanks for the reply Bikerfish.
The original wheel is not too badly tweaked to be repaired at a reasonable cost. In fact I rode on it for several months not knowing it was slightly bent until I removed the wheel while replacing brake lines and saw cupping and uneven left side wear on the Pilot Road tire.
I haven't mounted the "new-used" rim yet. It came with a PR tire that shows slight uneven wear like the original, I guess it'll be ok to use it while I have the original repaired. That's really my question.... what effect will the out of true wheel will have on the wear of other front end components etc.

Back