• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire pressure monitors

How accurate are the tire pressure monitors on my 2009 R1200GS? I measure pressure with two different gauges, but my dashboard TPM reads 5 pounds higher.

How accurate are the tire pressure monitors on my 2009 R1200GS? I measure pressure with two different gauges, but my dashboard TPM reads 5 pounds higher.

It is temperature compensated to 68 degrees F. I find it very accurate, but the reading it gives you is as if it is 68 F Degrees outside.

This is all explained in the owner's manual. I set my tires by the TPMS by adjusting accordingly between the difference in my gauge and TPMS.

AS you have probably seen, as you ride even though your tires are warming up increasing the tire pressure your TPMS stays at or very very close to your original COLD set pressure.

The purpose of a TPMS system is to warn you when current tire pressure is X percent lower than the pressure you specified when resetting. It doesn't in addition allow you to set this below a design-specified figure. The purpose is not to agree with your pressure gauge. If you feel the system fails to provide reliable warnings, then it's defective and a warranty issue.

The TPM system on my RT is always off by a couple of lbs compared to my hand gauge, either up or down, depending mostly on air temperature. But it doesn't bother me. As far as I'm concerned, the TPM system is there only to warn me if there is any loss of pressure, not to tell me the exact pressure in my tires. For that, I rely on hand gauges. When I fill the tires, I take note of what pressure the TPM indicates, which is generally slighty different form what my gauge indicated, and I just monitors those figures. As long as they don't go down, everything's fine. In fact, the TPM is the function that's always on on the OBC.

Back