• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

oil changes in an R90/6 vs R75/7

Roguetek

I am given to understand there are certain differences in the oil filter fitment between the R75/7 and the R90/6.

before I break something, can someone give me some pointers?

I have a 75 R90 and 2 R65 (80 & 82). Both models use the same filter. The R65's have only one cover that holds the filter were the R90 has the outer cover and the inner cover that holds the filter. I would assume the R 75 would be the same as the R65's and R100/7 with out oil coolers.

Don

right, I did some research since then... the 90/6 in 1974 had the flatside filter cover. which means no 2000 dollar o-ring.

I just know that making a mistake on the filter arrangements can be... expensive. so it's really important to me to get it right.

I have had my 82 R65 since new and it has only been in the last few years that i heard about this $2000.00 oring. Was and BMWRA and have been a MOA member for over 25 years never saw in any of the publications about this back before the internet. Pesonally if you go back together the way BMW installed it there should not be and problems. Metal washer, Oring, gasket and cover. If you fill the oring is not sealing enough add another metal washer.

Don

Metal washer, Oring, gasket and cover. If you fill the oring is not sealing enough add another metal washer.

I think we determined that the /6 does not have the metal washer and $2000 o-ring stack up. The filter is sealed with a separate nut/washer when you take the flat-sided cover off. About the only thing the cover needs is the gasket to prevent oil from leaking to the outside.

Anton covers it all here: http://www.largiader.com/tech/filters/

Assuming the motor isn't destroyed and ran well enough to warm the oil prior to changing (not spraying oil everywhere), putting it back together just as it came apart will indeed work quite well.

The thing that for some isn't apparently just obvious regards the /7-on models and is that the metal thing many people call "shim" is in fact a "washer" and it's purpose is to provide something that the big white o-ring can seal against. The big white o-ring sure won't seal simply against the inner canister ... which ought to be obvious when looking. Even then, if you've a late-'80s-on model, it's likely the inner canister has a folded over edge and the "washer" is not needed.

Just also know that if you buy a "kit" from BMW there are only two of them, one for models with oil coolers and one for those without. This means you don't always use all the parts in the kit and you shouldn't feel bad about that. This because (especially) the non oil cooler kit is good for all non oil cooler models 1970-1995, and, yes, things changed a couple times in those 25 years.

When things are translated from a "foreign" language, that is for us in the USA German, word sometimes gets out slowly. Eventually it became well known that the paper gasket isn't used under the cover on /7-on models. All the sealing you need is done by the big white o-ring and in fact using the paper gasket detracts from that.

I know Kent has downplayed the consideration for "shimming" the canister stack up on the /7-on models. But the reality is that the canister (straight lip or curved lip) can be set at the improper depth or can (rarely) move over time. So, the paper gasket may be needed if the canister depth is less than 3mm (as it with my /7...the depth is 2.8mm and the gasket relieves the excess pressure on the white o-ring). If the canister depth is greater than 3.5mm or so, then no gasket is used and one or more "washers" are needed in order to increase the pressure on the white o-ring. Even on the curved canisters...if the depth is greater than 3.5mm. So the washer can be a shim in its use.

Back