• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gonna have some big fun now!

Clicked on the link, looked at the pictures... but it did raise one question...
I understand the Sea Salt and the Crushed Red Pepper Flakes...
But do you really need a tool like that to get a HERON in such a small box? :whistle

Yes, they are pretty crafty those blue herons and it take a lot of work to get them in there. :dance

We have a resident heron on the lake behind our house. They are fun to watch but very easily spooked.

If you need something boxed up, let me know and I will see what I can do. :thumb

Just to clarify, I didn't make any of the examples to which I linked. They only showed what could be done. :thumb

Clicked on the link, looked at the pictures... but it did raise one question...
I understand the Sea Salt and the Crushed Red Pepper Flakes...
But do you really need a tool like that to get a HERON in such a small box? :whistle

Here he is. Taken this morning. Lives here year round and is a frequent visitor to our shoreline. I love to watch him stalk. He can stand motionless for a very long time, longer than a whitetail deer.

1360079522.jpg

Last edited:
I am an (apparently) rare design engineer who has an "extensive" hands-on background. At my home shop, we have 3 manual lathes and 2 manual mills. I've also been employed as a manual and CNC machinist. Since being employed as an engineer, I have seen parts from clean-sheet design through computer modeling (CAD), programming (CAM), machining on CNC, and the finished product. I've modeled in CATIA, SolidWorks, etc.. programmed in MasterCAM, EasyCAM, by hand off the top of my head (up to 4-axis), etc... machined on Okuma, Bridgeport, and (my favorite) Haas CNC machines. For a while, I had a desktop CNC much like yours but I decided I could do better so I sold it off.

Then, I got into a disagreement on the BMWMOA forums about how to machine that aluminum dirtbike helmet. There goes all my credentials! :(

Next time I'm back "home" in St Louis, I'll have to convince you to let me come over to Southern IL and check out your setup!

I am an (apparently) rare design engineer who has an "extensive" hands-on background. At my home shop, we have 3 manual lathes and 2 manual mills. I've also been employed as a manual and CNC machinist. Since being employed as an engineer, I have seen parts from clean-sheet design through computer modeling (CAD), programming (CAM), machining on CNC, and the finished product. I've modeled in CATIA, SolidWorks, etc.. programmed in MasterCAM, EasyCAM, by hand off the top of my head (up to 4-axis), etc... machined on Okuma, Bridgeport, and (my favorite) Haas CNC machines. For a while, I had a desktop CNC much like yours but I decided I could do better so I sold it off.

Then, I got into a disagreement on the BMWMOA forums about how to machine that aluminum dirtbike helmet. There goes all my credentials! :(

Next time I'm back "home" in St Louis, I'll have to convince you to let me come over to Southern IL and check out your setup!

Everyone lives with a different set of tolerances. What meets performance or cost in one field or industry doesn't automatically translate to another. Understanding those differences, which are often not rational, enables the fabricator to properly market his product and capabilities.

That was all we disagreed about. I wasn't disparaging your credentials.....just cautioning you on the marketing of said credentials.

Peace?

What brand of CNC is that and what software drives it?

The CAD program is vcarve-pro

The CAM program is Mach 3

The CNC machine is built by Geometric-Robotics

In addition to the above you need a PC to run it, a power supply, a breakout/motion control board and misc. cables.

The frame of the machine is 80/20 aluminum extrusions, which are like an adult erector set that can be used for many different things. The rails are solid steel, the bearings are enclosed recirculating and the drive screws are ball screws.

There are many people building their own, google home made cnc machines, lots of you tube videos, web sites galore.

There are many commercial machines available from small desk top to ones that have a 4' X 8' bed. The most popular is Shopbot

Hope this helps.

You are welcome anytime CDD! (I'm too lazy to type out crazydrummerdude).

I didn't know you still didn't live in the area.

PM me here and I will send you my home phone so you can give me a shout out.

my visitors are a little noisy....

Loved the photo. Looks like it had somewhere to go. I saw two last fall when deer hunting. They both followed the same scent trail till they were out of site. Neither one knew I was only 20 feet directly above them.

Back