• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

02' K1200LT - rattle when engaging brake lever

brprider679

2002 K1200lt - When I engage the brake lever I hear a distinct rattle somewhere in the motor. When I disengage the lever the sound stops. It sounds like it is the front end or somewhere close. Does not come from the calipers. Any ideas on what is causing this? ABS about to go?

Are you sure it's not worn bobbins on your full floating front brake rotors?

:dance:dance:dance

It could just be the alternator drive hub making extra noise because of the current load from the two brake servo's.

2002 K1200lt - When I engage the brake lever I hear a distinct rattle somewhere in the motor. When I disengage the lever the sound stops. It sounds like it is the front end or somewhere close. Does not come from the calipers. Any ideas on what is causing this? ABS about to go?

R U NU to K1200 Bricks?
They can make all sorts of racket.

Dry clutch.. alternator drive, and more....

The gent that mentions the alternator is probably pretty close.

I chased one of the noises, similar to what you describe back in 2005ish with my 2004 K1200GT.
I should say, paid to have it chased. Paid handomely.
It was improved... but still rattles to this day, much to the displeasure of the current owner.

They all do that ...
Many, at least.

I now have a 2003 K1200GT. Evidently the experience didn't put me off altogether.
The new to me 2003 does not have the rattle that my 2004 did. Oh, it has some dry clutch noise and the alternator load chuffing, but not a rattle like my '04 did. Must have got gears that were better matched (see attatchment).

I'll found an old file that I saved from years back on the subject along with a pic or 2 of my '04 on the operating table.

Dmilan

Attachments

• Image0001.jpg
    Image0001.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 79
  • P1010080.jpg
    P1010080.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 78
  • P1010081.jpg
    P1010081.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 78
Heres more

You can probably still find the entire thread over at BMW Luxury Touring....

Attachments

• P1010082.jpg
    P1010082.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Image0003.jpg
    Image0003.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Image0007.jpg
    Image0007.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 75
Update on K1200LT rattle when applying brakes - Still need help diagnosing!

Ok I've isolated it a bit further. It is coming from around the battery. Underneath or a bit in front of the battery.

Is this a "new to you" motorcycle? Does it happen when the engine is cold or all the time? I have an '02 K1200LT and noticed mine did when cold and was concerned too after I bought it over 4 years ago. Then I noticed at idle I'd get it when cold if I touched a brake pedal or lever when the brake servos kicked in. I also noticed I could make it happen by turning the moto lights on and off as well as the hazard flashers. I suspected electrical. A check on bmwlt.com, with other owners and the dealer all had the same result. "It's normal and it's the alternator/generator. If it does it after it's warmed up good, there might be a problem. Not is, might be."

Mine is quite noisy when cold but quiets down once she's ridden a bit.

ABS module is outboard of your left butt cheek, behind the left "battery cover."

I've put about 10k on this bike since I've owned it. Also own another K bike (RS). Never noticed the rattle until recently. Come to think of it I don't think it makes the same sound after it's warm. I'm going to ride it this week and I'll be more aware.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Almost forgot about it but mine had a rattle for a while that I traced to one of the battery hold down retainer screws coming loose. Tighten up screws, noise gone. Hopefully its that easy for you.

02 LT also rattles when cold. I suspect a combination of the servo pump and alternator talking to each other. Only have around 37,000 on mine and haven't noticed much change in the noise except louder when colder.

With the bike off turn the key to on or run position and apply the brakes. How noisy is your servo pump? Some chatter like chipmunks which I suspect may also add to the alternator noise. No proof of this though.

Back