• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 GS1200 add ons

Poskashflo

Found a crazy deal on a used GS triple black. Would like to hear some suggestions for add ons. I plan to do some light off road riding. It currently has two side cases.

Lights?
New side/top cases?
Side bars?

Thanks!

Stu

Yes

+ larger (offroad) foot pegs + sidestand enlarger + some luggage?

Congrats on the new bike! ;)

"Off road"? As in single track through the woods and over rocks? Or "off paved roads" like gravel and dirt roads that cars, trucks and Jeeps run on? If you're doing some off-road the first thing to buy IMO would be knobbies, at least something like TKC/s. They're going to wear out fast but you will be hopeless trying to ride through mud and soft stuff on something like Tourance's. For just dirt roads the stock tires will be fine, just slow down through the wet areas.
I have no intention of riding my GSA off road. It'll be mostly on little paved roads with some gravel and dirt roads in the mix. The first things I ordered were a front fender extender and rear inner mud guard to keep some of the crud off the front of the engine and rear swing-arm and shock. $100 well spent IMO. http://maier-mfg.com/catalog/street/bmw/r1200gs

Found a crazy deal on a used GS triple black. Would like to hear some suggestions for add ons. I plan to do some light off road riding. It currently has two side cases.

Lights?
New side/top cases?
Side bars?

Thanks!

Stu

I've got a 2011 R1200GS Triple Black, I've added a set of Altrider crash bars, I originally had the BMW factory bars but, for me they just didn't look like they would protect the engine very well. The Altrider bars (in black) look amazing and offer great protection. I've also added a Touratech outlet backing plate, not real sure how to describe it but its a plate that goes behind the instrument cluster (covering the entire opening) looks cool and provides a BMW style outlet for my BMW tank bag (which I wired for my phone etc). I've wired the rear top case as well. This allows me to charge misc. stuff while riding. Other adds - GSA windshield and bracket, GSA foot pegs, rear LED aux brake light, front fender extender (a must if you do any gravel, you can hear the rocks smacking the front of the engine and exhaust crossover pipe), larger kick stand foot plate, Garmin GPS, ram mount bracket for camera, built a power management system under the seat (nice to have all the fuses in one location and somewhat protected from the elements) and its wired for Gerbing heated clothing.

Back