• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the straps in the morning...

Roguetek

So, I have a 1974 r90s motor.

and I have a 70's era BMW factory replacement frame.

with no VIN, and no paperwork.

According to the state of texas, if I can get any authorized BMW dealer to write a note on BMW letterhead saying 'yes, this is a frame for a BMW, circa 1970s', they'll give me a VIN, and I can get a title.

So far, I've not been able to find anyone willing to do the job. Thoughts?

Alamo made some whimpering noise about 'liability', and refused to even discuss the matter.

Yes, the motor has a nice clean vin that comes back as 'not stolen', and belonging to a 1974 r90s.

I know you already have one but you should be able to pick up a used frame with a title for 50 bucks. Could save you some headaches...

Can't you get a title with the engine vin? When you put in for a bonded title they don't care if you get the stenciling of the vin from the frame or the engine as long as you have a vin.

Because it's texas, and the rules are stupid, and arbitrary. They even admit they're stupid, and arbitrary. Can't be helped.

I've got the bonded title forms in front of me I don't see how it would matter if you gave them the VIN off the bike or the VIN off the engine the forms don't specify. I'm doing bonded title paperwork now for a 78GS1000.

I made the mistake of being honest with them. And, also, in San Antonio, at least, they inspect the vehicle before issuing a bonded title. if the vin on the frame is missing, bike does not pass.

Because it's texas, and the rules are stupid, and arbitrary. They even admit they're stupid, and arbitrary. Can't be helped.

Sounds like NY state, here you would be better off selling everything and buying a bicycle.

I made the mistake of being honest with them. And, also, in San Antonio, at least, they inspect the vehicle before issuing a bonded title. if the vin on the frame is missing, bike does not pass.

When I took mine in for the VI-30 (the "green sheet") the inspection guy didn't even look at the frame or the engine. Just took my insurance card and did the inspection for blinkers and what not.

I'm not going to take the risk. Also, they -know- me at this point. If they see a BMW go through, they're gonna double check.

Who your regional service office? They get so much business and paperwork rolling through you are just a number to them nothing more. I've been doing my bonded title stuff all via snail mail.

A guy in my neighborhood mentioned something about getting a builder's title. Does Texas have those available?

engine VIN

When the Engine VIN came back clean, was it also able to ascertain if there was anyone still using the original Titlle with that same VIN?

Probably, what happened with that bike was that it was originally wrecked and the engine was saved, frame scrapped. OR....someone used the frame to make a specialty bike and then sold the engine. The VIN check should reveal if the VIN is still in use as a legitimate bike and someone owns it.

If not, you could then use that VIN on YOUR frame. You would have to stamp it in yourself.

In Ohio, they actually look that the frame to read the number (that was on an out-of-state bike I once purchased).

Back