• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The GS Giant vs. Bigfoot... who's bigger?

West

Randy, hope you will be good. Sounds like your wife will be making sure you stay in one piece. I'm ready for anything I'll be in Reno. Let me know what the plan is and if anyone wants to ride dirt let me know. I'll be on the 800 this year. The GSA is still back east it's only got 75000 on it. Anyway I'm on the road tomorrow so I'll try your private email to figure things out. If anyone wants to meet up and fallow the dirt roads let me know.

Yep:)

Y'all listen to this guy, Joe Hutt! A great off roader, in my book and good partner on the trail. Riding Nevada and Oregon, we had a great time as we rode to Redmond. Will do it again. I'm surprised you riding F800GS, as you got sore, missing the GSA1200 I remember:). Hope you made it more comfy, a seat maybe? IF you are a intermediate or expert on the trail, find Joe H., he'll be equal to the challenge, I figure. As July gets closer, I MAY well go early out of my home to ride solo and fast, dirt and whatever I fancy. I await to hear from those I've known and new aquaintances to concrete my plans and departure. Wife catches up later, with kids on their GSs, if need be. Options:). July14 Hayfork, CA. is still with me... Randy

Randy

Randy,
It was great talking with you to day.. Here are a couple of rts I was thinking of taken.. There are tons of good looking roads to detour off the main rds
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Alton,+NH&daddr=43.8364097,-101.8006574+to:43.7161042,-102.3084499+to:43.5089506,-102.6164859+to:43.7133356,-104.643525+to:Hayfork,+CA&hl=en&geocode=FdcOlwId9kXB-ylj1Ez_iiuzTDGfY2SEL0I-Hg%3BFfnjnAIdL6Xu-SkB1xdP2GN-hzH9agKv_jX91g%3BFQgOmwIdn-Xm-SlDVS2TITN8hzHwimqxACjseA%3BFdbklwIdWzLi-Sl_ZAXg20R8hzE-zJmZTzvkcw%3BFTcDmwIdO0TD-SlJoM22i0BihzG9JSOQiq3sfw%3BFUfPagIdFGCo-Cmz-zwGdKDTVDHYkBXSfPxKjQ&aq=0&oq=ha&sll=43.561486,-102.200317&sspn=0.544334,1.273041&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=10&via=1,2,3,4&ie=UTF8&ll=43.561486,-102.200317&spn=0.544334,1.273041&t=m&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=Alton,+NH&daddr=43.8364097,-101.8006574+to:43.7161042,-102.3084499+to:43.5089506,-102.6164859+to:43.7133356,-104.643525+to:Hayfork,+CA&hl=en&geocode=FdcOlwId9kXB-ylj1Ez_iiuzTDGfY2SEL0I-Hg%3BFfnjnAIdL6Xu-SkB1xdP2GN-hzH9agKv_jX91g%3BFQgOmwIdn-Xm-SlDVS2TITN8hzHwimqxACjseA%3BFdbklwIdWzLi-Sl_ZAXg20R8hzE-zJmZTzvkcw%3BFTcDmwIdO0TD-SlJoM22i0BihzG9JSOQiq3sfw%3BFUfPagIdFGCo-Cmz-zwGdKDTVDHYkBXSfPxKjQ&aq=0&oq=ha&sll=43.561486,-102.200317&sspn=0.544334,1.273041&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=10&via=1,2,3,4&ie=UTF8&ll=43.561486,-102.200317&spn=0.544334,1.273041&t=m" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
This is the quickest way to Hayfork it is all boring hiway, but I could get to where the good dirt is in UT, NV on the way to No Cal.. Talk to you soon..Just thought I would pass this along so maybe we can meet up and hit some fun dirt!
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Alton,+NH&daddr=Hayfork,+CA&hl=en&geocode=FdcOlwId9kXB-ylj1Ez_iiuzTDGfY2SEL0I-Hg%3BFUfPagIdFGCo-Cmz-zwGdKDTVDHYkBXSfPxKjQ&aq=0&oq=h&sll=43.492594,-71.252159&sspn=0.272478,0.63652&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&ll=41.482383,-97.193323&spn=3.94394,51.979493&t=m&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=Alton,+NH&daddr=Hayfork,+CA&hl=en&geocode=FdcOlwId9kXB-ylj1Ez_iiuzTDGfY2SEL0I-Hg%3BFUfPagIdFGCo-Cmz-zwGdKDTVDHYkBXSfPxKjQ&aq=0&oq=h&sll=43.492594,-71.252159&sspn=0.272478,0.63652&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&ll=41.482383,-97.193323&spn=3.94394,51.979493&t=m" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
Ok some how the maps are not saving correctly I must of did something wrong the routes keep diverting back to the Main roads.. Anyone know why google maps keeps doing this?

Last edited:
Anyone know why google maps keeps doing this?[/QUOTE]

If your making a custom map you have to click on the last pin (marker) to finish your custom map. That should not change the map you have made.

I might ride out if I get enough time off work. Won't be riding back though, leaving my bike out west for a while.

Joe ill be looking for you if I have my bike and will do some great riding.

If I could even make a *dent* in understanding wtf Google Maps does, I'd be a happy man.

What a powerful program. What a crappy interface.

Gonna be a BIG time

There are 61 hopeless souls already signed up to ride in The GS Giant this year... as evidenced by clicking the "I want to ride The GS Giant" button as they registered for the rally.

And I know of many more who will be riding but have not registered yet.

And if past events hold true... this number will double when folks at the rally want to ride the Adventure Track.

so......

WE NEED SOME VOLUNTEERS.

- Data wranglers - copy photos from riders

- Scorekeeping assistant... please, please, please, please, please!!!

- Track managers, baby sit the big dogs, and help them pick up their bikes.

- DAY RIDE LEADER.... please, please, please, please, please!!! (to the swimming hole at Opal Creek... please see the photos above.

- WOMEN-ONLY RIDE LEADERS ... we had one, but she had to cancel for business reasons. This is a great experience, please help out!

- A "ride leader" for Idaho and Washington. This is an informal position, just someone who can help orient folks and point them toward the rally from the GS Gypsy Tour's start locations. Polar Bear is doing this in California, and SA Mike is getting his arm twisted to do it in Nevada.

A big part of the experience, and a key reason for the GS Giants club is volunteerism. You meet people, make friends, and make it possible for events to not cost so much.

Please consider volunteering to help put on this event. PM me here, or send me an e-mail.

The Trinity Alps...

... just sayin' :whistle

TrinityAlps.png

Thx Matt, Ian and all others stepping up:). I have a Firefighter GS800 guy that works the CAL FIRE HAYFORK Station, knows this area too well and every rock and mudhole about that area. You show up and the data from there will be massive, scramble the brain teases for GS folks to ride. Bigfoot lives there too. Another most recent find for me about Hayfork, "known" but hidden a lot from public IS!!!! Marijuana/POT fields are hidden everywhere around there, as its a grow capital for the WEST around there. On GS/GSAs we have a tendency to find the backwoods byways to the ultimate advantage of our bikes. FINDING yourself in one of these POT farms would be a GREAT idea to move on quickly, DO NOT disturb! Your choice to ride safe and respect the "law and growers" of whatever you find, may save you a LOT of grief:). DON'T worry too much as we are peaceful, fun loving GS folk and the NCal region has so much fun to offer. The above tip will come into need for a few, no doubt, so be safe where you tread. We're searching BIGFOOT and not so much the WEEDs:). I'm looking very much forward to seeing y'all in HAYFORK July14th, try out my NEW Redverz Tent experience for me. My recent new Heidenau's too are getting their workout, but by the time I get there, half worn out at least. If anybody links with Joe Hutt and rides like the wind off road, he's the man. He and I will likely link up later this month and share some details for the fast track, expert minded GS'ers:). Just bring your GRIT, hehe. Randy

salem GSGiant Question/Rally Map?

IS that "red area", GSGiants the camp for GS Folks to share??? Know we've been doing this at all recent rallies. The Rally Map shows this, BUT is it the camp area too for GSGiants? I figure it probably is, but asking? Later, Randy

IS that "red area", GSGiants the camp for GS Folks to share??? Know we've been doing this at all recent rallies. The Rally Map shows this, BUT is it the camp area too for GSGiants? I figure it probably is, but asking? Later, Randy

Yes... that red area on the map is the camping area. We'll also have a party tent.

The track is actually inside the arena immediately adjoining. And there are lights inside the arena.... :evil

Marijuana/POT fields are hidden everywhere around there, as its a grow capital for the WEST around there. On GS/GSAs we have a tendency to find the backwoods byways to the ultimate advantage of our bikes. FINDING yourself in one of these POT farms would be a GREAT idea to move on quickly, DO NOT disturb! Your choice to ride safe and respect the "law and growers" of whatever you find, may save you a LOT of grief:).

I actually have direct knowledge of this... having ridden around there enough to not even go up there during fall harvest season.

However, do you think it's worth the risk to pay 500 GS BS points for anyone shooting a pic of their bike in a field of weed? :ha

Yep, A LOT:)

I have direct knowledge too, the Firefighters will NOT go into certain forests around Hayfork without Law along! Its not terribly bad, so worry little, just KNOW what's up and to be found if you're a real backwoods GS guy/gal. PICTURE:). Well, the points would be a great laugh, BUT stopping with camera is a "risky business" and WORTH a lot of BS Points in my book, as I see it:). These fields can be guarded very well at times, so be wise!!! Maybe a GoPro camera would be best approach, just keep moving and video it, lol. I've actually never stepped/rode into one of these incidents, new to me. I'm more interested in my BIGFOOT BS Points, maybe a 1000 point pic, as HE TOO has a history around Hayfork and NCal. Very serious tales of the furry one around there:). Been covered on TV too, years past. A BIGFOOT smoking WEED, now that's a show stopper, WINNER of whatever gets given out!!! Never in all my rallies has this topic appeared(to me) and all BMW folks I know are respectable with their "habits" around rallies I've been too. I don't mean to offend anybody, talking MJ here, so take it in fun and do not show up with a harvest of it in your bags in Salem:). We're going to HAYFORK in fine fashion and leaving their the same, tons of fun....Randy

Bigfoot, we are *after* your a--

The GS Giants go commando... very cool, Dean Hoopes!

Dean_Hoopes.jpg

Join up, now... ya hear?

LOVE that, HooRah!

Many know I have a girl kid at 30 now, also a GS Rider, F650 and her Hubby, F650dakar in Va. Beach. US Navy, Pilots both:). Jessica's other m/c is is a F18Hornet. WISH she could come to Salem! THANK God for all you folks wearing your PRIDE on the sleeves, MILITARY Rocks:). Jess flies everyday out of Oceana NAS, guarding our lifestyle. SHE loves her off road adventures too on her F650 when not doing her F18 piloting. You hear that F18 roar about the NC Coast or thereabouts, its likely HER, a fellow MOA'er. I'm on the wrong coast to see her much:(. This will change, as I retire:). See y'all in Salem. Hayfork first for me, GSA/GS Giant fever:). Save some BIGFOOT for me, although I don't think I want to eat any if ya into cooking em. Just into shooting one with my GoPRO:):):). My avatar "Polarbear" may have other ideas! Later, Randy

Hornet rider

:clap:clap Love to hear of kick ass women on motorcycles, even better on a Hornets. JRGS in Montrose

Many know I have a girl kid at 30 now, also a GS Rider, F650 and her Hubby, F650dakar in Va. Beach. US Navy, Pilots both:). Jessica's other m/c is is a F18Hornet. WISH she could come to Salem! THANK God for all you folks wearing your PRIDE on the sleeves, MILITARY Rocks:). Jess flies everyday out of Oceana NAS, guarding our lifestyle. SHE loves her off road adventures too on her F650 when not doing her F18 piloting. You hear that F18 roar about the NC Coast or thereabouts, its likely HER, a fellow MOA'er. I'm on the wrong coast to see her much:(. This will change, as I retire:). See y'all in Salem. Hayfork first for me, GSA/GS Giant fever:). Save some BIGFOOT for me, although I don't think I want to eat any if ya into cooking em. Just into shooting one with my GoPRO:):):). My avatar "Polarbear" may have other ideas! Later, Randy

Many thanks:)

Many of our BEST cannot attend, because of service to country comes first. They miss us very much at rallies, know my Navy Daughter does on her F650. She wants new GS1200 next:). I always hold a spot for them, close in heart:). This one can Navy retire early at 38 if she desires and I'm hoping I have grit enough in my elderism to share rallies then. Jessica is a MUSTANG Officer, flying F18s today, went in Enlisted at 18 years old(2001), got smart, real smart:). Served in Iraq, HC4...Aerospace Engineer(per Navy), her degree, University of AZ:) and on to Pensacola Flight school, where she got introduced to her first BMW ownership in AZ, F650 after growing up on back seat of my GSs in her youth. She was GSGiant roughrider, long before the name became known:). Today, I HONOR those daily as I ride my GSA1200 about NAmerica. IF youre riding a GS/GSA and serve, proudly display it on your saddlebags as I do my Kids Units on my GSA Jesse Bags:). VFA34 Blue Blasters, OceanaNAS, in my case. HOPE to see some of ya in Salem or even HAYFORK, CA GSGiant Camp prior to Salem, JULY14. Tales to tell, riding to do:). Randy PS; Son in Law flies COD, biggest of the carrier birds. VRC40,Rawhydes. PIC of Jessica at work, MOAer:)

Attachments

• Bodie 099.JPG
    Bodie 099.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 44
Many of our BEST cannot attend, because of service to country comes first. They miss us very much at rallies, know my Navy Daughter does on her F650. She wants new GS1200 next:). I always hold a spot for them, close in heart:). This one can Navy retire early at 38 if she desires and I'm hoping I have grit enough in my elderism to share rallies then. Jessica is a MUSTANG Officer, flying F18s today, went in Enlisted at 18 years old(2001), got smart, real smart:). Served in Iraq, HC4...Aerospace Engineer(per Navy), her degree, University of AZ:) and on to Pensacola Flight school, where she got introduced to her first BMW ownership in AZ, F650 after growing up on back seat of my GSs in her youth. She was GSGiant roughrider, long before the name became known:). Today, I HONOR those daily as I ride my GSA1200 about NAmerica. IF youre riding a GS/GSA and serve, proudly display it on your saddlebags as I do my Kids Units on my GSA Jesse Bags:). VFA34 Blue Blasters, OceanaNAS, in my case. HOPE to see some of ya in Salem or even HAYFORK, CA GSGiant Camp prior to Salem, JULY14. Tales to tell, riding to do:). Randy PS; Son in Law flies COD, biggest of the carrier birds. VRC40,Rawhydes. PIC of Jessica at work, MOAer:)

That is a awesome picture.. Wish I could fly in one of those..
See ya soon. I will be heading to the Arches National Park, UT on my way to Hayfork.. Randy have you ever rode the Poney Express RD out side of Arches.. Looks like a fun old trail that became a road..

Yes;

Im getting so bored sitting here, I may join somebody on the open road. We need to stay in touch, once you're out on the road:). My IPhone is my only link once away from home and it does all emails. The Pony Exp Byways in Utah are cool, Arches, Canyonlands and so on. ITS very HOT there in July so go wet as you can, carry more water than you normally do in that region. I RODE it last year coming East:). Its a favorite of mine in Utah and Utah is almost all a favorite, cannot miss kind a state:). The White Rim Trail around Canyonlands is a HOOT, but HOT. Most do it in Spring/Fall when its cooler. VERY dangerous place inside Canyonlands and solo is not a good idea, find a partner to ride with. Just South of MOAB an hour, you find a turnoff onto dirt to the WEST that will take you too Natural Bridges and into Glen Canyon Rec Area for over a hundred miles all dirt, I did last year too. I was solo and found myself never feeling so alone out there. You have this all to yourself, for the most part, no people. SOME of it is CLAY like and when wet, turns to ICY like slippery and nearly impassable. PICK your time in there wisely and avoid the Utah rains:). Watch for DEER in the wilderness of Utah, lots of them. Take the FIRST cutoff from Interstate 70 coming West out of Colorado and follow Colorado river into Moab, a very nice road you'll enjoy. The road continues PAST Moab, Crossover 191), following the C.River West and a few miles in, you'll find first cutoff to the right onto DIRT again and its a COOL Trail to the top of the rim, CanyonlandsNP side entrance to park. Its VERTICAL riding up this:). Way cool. Camping in MOAB is fine at several private campgrounds in town. Camping alongside C.River is there too, before you get into town, not many facilities, just the river within feet. Mosquitoes love it there too, anywhere near the water, be prepared. The HOT is worse than the bugs to me, so the river is cool and "in it" is good:). ENJOY that area, wish I was there with ya. The BURR Trail further West is another favorite, from BullFrog to Capital Reef NP, runs South to North or other way. Its GS heaven and another one of those feeling alone moments in time out there in no mans land! Keep your GSA running well, carry water. See ya soon. PS; Jessica sent this pic a while back in F18, unknown locale, just her in her other gear:). Randy

Back