• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The GS Giant vs. Bigfoot... who's bigger?

HI Matt;

We gotta hookup again, so see ya soon:) Remember HAYFORK....Some NICE riding right there out of camp, but we'll be riding North obviously that morning next, to various destinations and maybe sharing many en route sights, to Salem by Wednesday I hope. Thursday AM, my latest arrival. ! Stay in touch, Randy PS: All campers alert!!! The Oregon STATE Parks are usually first rate with good showers, the ones I have stayed at. I would consider better than most states in this regard:). National Forests camping usually means NO showers, BUT a TIP:); baby wipes make great sponge bathes, so get the unscented ones for less baby smell appeal:). Ive done this dozens of times and come out refreshed, camping in remote areas of the forest. Some great camping IF you desire less people:) and a GS bit of heaven. NW has this in huge quantities, if you have the grit to explore, nice. REMEMBER BIGFOOT, they are out there and nobody more apt to find one than a GSA rider,LOL......Camera ready!!! Keep a clean camp and be EVER aware of our FIRE Danger this year. WE ARE DRY, not enough rains this Spring. Randy

BIGFOOT Search'in:)

I'm starting a GS/GSA, etc. rider list!!!! I have posted my contact info above and need riders to join me at CLOVIS, Ca., or HAYFORK, Ca. for doing many, many back country byways as we can find/do en route to Salem. I know so many and always look for more. NOW, BIGFOOT is clearly an object of serious discussion on many radio shows and TV this past decade and most recently, very much so, if you follow such. I do not go looking myself, BUT have a GSA and love the back country NW and will entertain the idea of a Bigfoot sharing my forests and even as I am perhaps nearby one of these critters!!! Anybody have more knowledge than I, chime in here and WE go sharing space with BIGFOOT soon, if you meet with us ....CLOVIS/HAYFORK and me and others, promises to be something different:). Come prepared to camp and get dirty:). Bring food and drinks, you may need it. DATES will be forthcoming, just be ready and make loose plans for now to join in. I still want to hear and make my GS/GSA list grow:):):). BTW; Ya'll road warrior Beemer folk certainly welcome too, just may not want to ride the dirt byways chosen at times. This is a gathering of Beemer riders, above locales and dates and you can do your planning day rides ahead to Salem as we camp together and share routes of interests heading North out of California....Randy

Thinking of going along

I live in the Santa Cruz Ca area where are you starting from and meeting up at and is there room for one more

Last edited:
I live in the Santa Cruz Ca area where are you starting from and meeting up at and is there room for one more

There's plenty of room! The meet-up spot for CA riders is the Trinity County Fairgrounds in Hayfork, CA, Sunday evening July 14.

From there, you have several options for a 2+ day ride to Salem.

Here's one of the rides... I am looking for someone who's gone this way in the past... Seiad Valley

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2167220/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

And here's the other alternative... through the redwoods... this one is a *big* day!

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2167234/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

:thumb

Polarbear coming out:)

Yep, I come again and find the Bigfoot phenom a favorite of mine, never having been a real active do'er in this regard. I like the stories I read and hear, interesting. HAYFORK happens to be dead center of such Bigfoot activity in the West. I ride from CLOVIS, CA. and my getaway day is yet to be determined, but Hayfork is now a target indeed. IAN has done so much to activate the GS crowds again this year, so why would you miss this. WE have the Hayfork gathering for all of those from this direction(SW) of travel this year. This includes travelers from all the USA that may see CA as a loop route to Salem:). We sure have a ton to offer and those from the East, don't miss the opportunity to see N. California on the way to Salem. Hayfork to Salem is a day for those quick riders, two/three days for the very casual. Plan well, just sooooo much to see here in the West. IAN, we're gonna need a costumed GS Bigfoot, LOL. I'll get my Polarbear one out:). Just jiv'in ya, are we having any fun. Certainly will be! Randy, GSA1200 @ 96000m now this time around.

meet up with Polar bear

I live in Sacramento and am trying to decide if I will ride up with one of the two local clubs. However the ride with Polar Bear also sounds interesting.

More than that:)

You ride with Polarbear and its always an adventure,LOL. Ive been known to get off track at a moments notice, as I "smell" dirt byways!!! Ive been known to just follow my nose in the general direction intended. GPS is for getting lost only:) and pointing to nearest town or road, when needed. This time, further North, I have my BIGFOOT monitor on board too:):):). My GoPro may just get lucky!!! I just got a remote for that thing, so I can operate my GoPro from wrist or handlebar:). Ya'll know that Klamath River area is very well documented Bigfoot terrain, REALLY is! Heck, Hayfork is close and we camp there... Bring as many GS/GSAs as you can muster, I am. My friend(Matt) from N.Hampshire is coming, I HOPE and he gets honors for long man out! We rode together in Arkansas/Mo., last year. He's pavement fast and bold in dirt:) on his GSA1200. Me too, same bike. See ya'll. Randy,"Polarbear"

My HAYFORK link, "Polarbear";

gsarbear@gmail.com for getting on my HAYFORK list and you don't need this, "just show up":). July 14, Hayfork, CA. Its a one night campout, moving North for/towards Salem next day. Its a meet/greet/camp with GS/GSA'ers of like mind:) and share tales and ride, ride, ride. Still have Monday thru Wednesday to get to Salem, so much to see and do in NCal and Oregon en route. Not much not to like here:). Randy "Polarbear", GSA1200'class of '07. Happy Trails all. Sign up for GSGiants activities, en route and for rally GS stuff. IAN has all the right stuff in mind. Later.

You ride with Polarbear and its always an adventure,LOL. Ive been known to get off track at a moments notice, as I "smell" dirt byways!!! Ive been known to just follow my nose in the general direction intended. GPS is for getting lost only:) and pointing to nearest town or road, when needed. This time, further North, I have my BIGFOOT monitor on board too:):):). My GoPro may just get lucky!!! I just got a remote for that thing, so I can operate my GoPro from wrist or handlebar:). Ya'll know that Klamath River area is very well documented Bigfoot terrain, REALLY is! Heck, Hayfork is close and we camp there... Bring as many GS/GSAs as you can muster, I am. My friend(Matt) from N.Hampshire is coming, I HOPE and he gets honors for long man out! We rode together in Arkansas/Mo., last year. He's pavement fast and bold in dirt:) on his GSA1200. Me too, same bike. See ya'll. Randy,"Polarbear"

Hey Randy,
I am planning my trip out to No Cal. Its about 3500 miles out. Depending on which route I take. I think I am going bee line it out to Hayfork 4 days of riding and take my time on the way back from Salem. Look forward to gettin my 1150GSA some western Dirt!

Hey Matt:)

Glad you're planning the cross USA. I thought you rode GSA1200 like mine? You get another older one? Either way, welcome to Hayfork. I'll be happy having your caliber rider along. Of course all are welcome. I may even get the opportunity to ride the week before this and maybe even MEET some of my friends coming from East somewhere out there. Its open, not sure! I AM doing something similar to last year??? I have another injury and my NECK was fractured last year and I made it to Arkansas:), got surgery when I got home from that 5000m loop:). ALL is fine in neck today, no issues. This year, its my right shoulder rotator cuff torn and I go into surgery next week, the 23rd May!!! BOY, Ive been a mess this past two years. I FULLY intend to ride the GSA as soon as I can sit the saddle without drugs:). I heal fast. I took a fall and fraactured my right knee and right shoulder about 5 months ago at home ranch, ouch. KNEE has healed, all good. The shoulder has no such luck:(. DONT count me down, AS I WILL be there in Hayfork or out on the road earlier meeting you folks:). Man, I'm a riding fool, still loving it. There are three other GS Camps, I think same day at different compass points from rally, so keep them in mind if Hayfork becomes problem for ya getting here. WANT ya in Hayfork, try hard:) and you know my riding style Matt, FUN FUN! Ya'll take notice out there!!!!! My friend Matt rides from N.Hamshire to share in this, get it.....I better see a dozen or more California GS/GSAers show, lol....Randy

HAYFORK Seminars too:)

Its a one night affair at this GS Camp and a self supporting campout kind a deal. Hayfork Fairground facility. Never been there but its biker friendly by all hearsay from others. IAN has it reserved from his end, THANKS IAN. The surrounding area is TOP NOTCH GS country riding whatever your skill level. I have done much of it. AS long as I can stay awake, I WILL do impromptu seminar(s) on the GS/GSA riding skills in dirt and so on, including some self service data for those wishing to learn doing your own "roadside service" tires and so on. Time will be short, one afternoon/evening and next morning. I'm a tough nut and can share as long as folks want to be there, before hitting the road next morning. I have a 45 years background on dirt from racing for MX/Yamaha as a teen to 42 years of BMW ownership, 4 GSs in there, Hondas and KTMs.... I can help/teach and won't stop telling stories if allowed:). Its been a GREAT life and sharing is the pinnacle as I grow an elder statesman on a bike:). Others too out there like me, you're sure welcome to chime in and do same in Hayfork. Its MOA MEMBER driven, we're family:). Randy"Polarbear" SEE Ya'll, my Virginia heritage comes out. Half my life back East:).

A giants help

I plan to head out to OR to help the giants get the experience I've had at past GSG events. Don't know if I'll have a bike yet, waiting to see what happens at work. If anyone has extra room on their trailer for a GSA I would put one of my bikes on it so than ill have my bike. I plan on leaving my bike out there After the rally so ill have a bike out west, I don't mind sharing the bike I put out there with fellow giants.

Glad you're planning the cross USA. I thought you rode GSA1200 like mine? You get another older one? Either way, welcome to Hayfork. I'll be happy having your caliber rider along. Of course all are welcome. I may even get the opportunity to ride the week before this and maybe even MEET some of my friends coming from East somewhere out there. Its open, not sure! I AM doing something similar to last year??? I have another injury and my NECK was fractured last year and I made it to Arkansas:), got surgery when I got home from that 5000m loop:). ALL is fine in neck today, no issues. This year, its my right shoulder rotator cuff torn and I go into surgery next week, the 23rd May!!! BOY, Ive been a mess this past two years. I FULLY intend to ride the GSA as soon as I can sit the saddle without drugs:). I heal fast. I took a fall and fraactured my right knee and right shoulder about 5 months ago at home ranch, ouch. KNEE has healed, all good. The shoulder has no such luck:(. DONT count me down, AS I WILL be there in Hayfork or out on the road earlier meeting you folks:). Man, I'm a riding fool, still loving it. There are three other GS Camps, I think same day at different compass points from rally, so keep them in mind if Hayfork becomes problem for ya getting here. WANT ya in Hayfork, try hard:) and you know my riding style Matt, FUN FUN! Ya'll take notice out there!!!!! My friend Matt rides from N.Hamshire to share in this, get it.....I better see a dozen or more California GS/GSAers show, lol....Randy

Hey Randy, I am all signed up for the Rally.. Hope you feel better soon. See ya Soon!

Yep:):):)

Thanks Matt. I am not one to sit healing long! I am one week out of the shoulder surgery and am using arm at about 75%. Probably roll bike out again within a week or so, cant wait:). Still wearing stitches, but healing nice. I have given much thought of riding EAST to meet some of my crossing USA friends, but not in concrete yet. Just getting anxious to ride again, as year round California has us on the bikes so much more than many states. Its my first vehicle of choice here. IF ya find yourself with extra time getting here early, always welcome here at the ranch as I prepare mine for touring. Actually my bike is all ready, most always is:). Happy trails, Randy. HAYFORK, HeeHaw! Kinda sounds like that kind a town, don't it? A name that would fit into many of my Dixieland States roots. DONT forget "BIGFOOT", this area(NCal) IS a HOT SPOT for this activity.

Randy

Just saw this thread, I'll be at Hayfork or whatever. I can meet you earlier ill be on the 800 this year.

Hey JOE:)

Nice hearing from ya, thought I had lost ya. Never got to see you last year, as I was in Arkansas and Mo. at rally. I was lame last year too, with neck injury but still made trek East on GSA1200. Still on same bike, nearing 100000m. mark. This year, I heal up from very recent shoulder reconstruct and ride again off road more again. Are you Chicago or West again? I WILL be back on bike in a week or so here. Ive been pushing HAYFORK,CA. meet up, camp for the night, July14. Its a turkey shoot from there, GS/GSAs heading North as riders wish to route their own per GSGiant playbook and so on... We can join up indeed for the Hayfork camp and talk it up:). PLEASE find us, glad to see ya again. My wife rides her KLR650 alongside me this year and has not been on longer road trip since Gillette Rally a few years back. She is great street keeper upper, less trained off roader in her. I try her patience, getting her off road more. :). I have 4 GSers in my group from home this year. A NEW F800GS and a NEW F700GS my kids ride. Well 3, I count KLR,lol. Its a cool bike, I like KLRs too:). Randy

Back