• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Best Tires for airheads?

I`m searching for a new set of rubber for my 77 R75/7.
So far I like the Michelin Pilot Active, it is available in the original sizes
325-19 & 400-18.
I have also heard good things about the BT-45`s but they only
come in metric sizes.
What is everyone else running?

I have Avon Roadriders on my RS. I'm happy with them. I believe they come in inch sizes, altho I have metric on mine.

Avon Road Riders

in Inch size. Recently I have heard good things about the Michelin Activs from Tom Cutter @Rubber Chicken Racing Garage.

What oil are you running? :bolt

1971 R60/5 @189K
I have had many, many Metzlers and was happy with them until I tried Michelins. The feel was more responsive, they didn't track metal bridge gratings and I got longer tire life. Michelin - Rears:14-16K, fronts: 11-12K.
Metzlers - Rears: around 9K, fronts: about the same as the Michelins
Adirondack Bob

Bridgestone Spitfire

Bridgestone Spitfire tires are awesome. They look good on our machines, have a harder compound in the center for the highway and a softer compound on the sides for the curves... I get consistently around 15 K off a set. On top of that they are very reasonably prices (better than the Michelin Activ). Both great tires though, you will not go wrong with either...

I'm currently running those Michelin Activ's on my 1978 R80/7 in the inch size and think very highly of those tires, I got a smokin deal on them last summer through Dennis Kirk, FWIW. And they are new ones, the date stamp showed them to be 13 months old..

Avon RoadRider AM26

I have a 1977 R100/7. I have just replaced another set of Avon's, I think i am on my fourth set. Actually, I end up wearing out 2 rears to one front. I ride this bike fully loaded with gear so maybe 100 lbs or so above me and I am in the 175 lb range. I run 38 lbs in the rear and 32 front. I ride fairly spirited if there are any twisties around. So far I really like the tires, both from a wear standpoint and sticking to the ground viewpoint. Last spring I was returning from Mexico where I had run on some terrible roads due to construction, lots of sharp edged rocks on construction detours. This really worn my tire down and so I decided to stop and get a new tire. Well, you take what you get when asking for a 4.00 x 18 and just showing up at the dealer. Ended up with a Michelin ME88, maybe it was a 880, but a Michelin none the less. It worn really well but was also rather hard and I found I was slipping on fast corners even when well warmed up. I think the compound was much harder than the avon's. So I just dismounted it and put on a new Avon Road Rider AM26 in 4.00x18 size. That is what I have been running now for a few years. If you are just riding around town and a few short jaunts, then as long as the tire appears round...it will work. If you are touring and or running kind of hot then tire selection becomes much more important. Probably lots of excellent choices and also some poor ones. Read into the responses and figure out who is doing what with the tires they reccomend. I have a 1972 R75/5 that pretty much just gets run around town. I just put my fairly worn Avons on her and run them for a bit, it's kind of a second child hand-me-down but works fine. Just don't tell her...
Regards,
Kurt

Bridgestone Spitfire tires are awesome. They look good on our machines, have a harder compound in the center for the highway and a softer compound on the sides for the curves... I get consistently around 15 K off a set. On top of that they are very reasonably prices (better than the Michelin Activ). Both great tires though, you will not go wrong with either...

Where did you find a Bridgestone 90/90 H18 ? i looked around the web and only see 90/90 H19 or 100/90 H18 Thanks

Currently I'm running Mich pro activ 325X19 on the front (since last spring) On the rear Heidenau K-36 400 X 18 (since the Bloomsburg rally). I have no issues with either as of this time. The K-36 looks to me like a Metzler tread pattern. When the Heidenau wears out I plan on a pro activ to replace it.

I have been using the Mich Macadam on the front for my last two tires with good results.
Prior to the Heidenau I had a Metzler (from the Oregon rally) that tire wore out really fast but I was towing a trailer. A Dunlop 404 rear wore out really fast (without a trailer).

I prefer using the inch size tires over the "equivalent" metric ones, they just seem right to me.

A couple of users, myself included, reported last year about very short life on the Conti Go's....I only got about 2200 miles on the rear as I recall. Very good feeling tire though... Soft, good in the corners. Try the new Michelins, Spitfires or Avon Road Riders, if you need to go any distance.
Nick Kennedy

Bridgestone Battleaxe

Strap on a pair of these very reasonably priced Bridgestones and get a nice sport/touring (or as we say in Bavaria, RT) experience. Nice compromise between grippy (yes, could be better) and longevity.

Mike McGrath
'86 R80RT
"79 FJ40

Anyone have a report on Continental Conti Go? ('76 90/6 needs new rubber and shoes this winter)

I ran the conti-gos for a season on my R75/5 and absolutely hated them! They followed every groove or surface imperfection in the road, very unsettling at speed! Currently running the Michelin Activs and it's like a different bike, I recall they were less expensive as well.

Put another vote up in the Michelin catagory, great tires in the correct size for Airheads.

Airhead tires

Not to highjack this thread but - got a newbie question and my Shop Manual is at home. I bought a 77 R100s from my cousin in Detroit, it has 11K on the clock and been in storage in his garage for 25(?) years. Paint is in excellent condition and engine turns freely, tank is relatively clean, but carbs are gummed up. Will have to see when I receive the bike and get it running what condition the engine seals are in. I'm in the process of acquiring the parts I know I will need (fluids, air cleaner, battery, carb rebuild kits, caliper kits, etc) including tires - so here is the two 'duh' questions - in that the 77 R100s has spoked wheels I assume it requires tubes, correct? Also, assuming it does, I also assume there isn't a problems inserting tubes in a tubeless tire such as the Activs? From my research and info in this thread (and others) in process of ordering Michelin Activs (3.25 x 19 and 4.00 x 18) and would like to know if I should order the tubes along with them. Thanks - many, many more questions to follow when I get the bike out here. Thanks -

Yes....and then No. Order tubes! Be sure and get the ones with the metal stem...should be the default.

Steve -

I had no complaints with them...ran at least one maybe two up front on my /7. Are they still available? It's been a while since I used them.

I sure think that's what I put on the bike:scratch I'm not walking out there one more time to check tonight!

I thought these airheads required the German tires & tubes:lol

I buy tires from 3 diff vendors so I don't recall where I got them. I've not ridden in wet-wet yet, but I have no issues so far.

I just think they look too skinny for what I am used to:whistle

Back