• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

TEECH

TEECH
OK First I don't like chains.... Now I feel better. Sorry needed to get that off my bag. So now tat I have replaced the chain and both sprokets. How do I get the most out of this mess. What are suggestions for maintance. Presently I check tension keep it clean and use wd-40 to keep it that way. The chain is a high end o-ring chain. What if any are your ideas are there snake oils out there you have had good luck with. The bike is a 2001 650gs. I cant tell you how many times I have almost sold it. Bought it used when I clean it up I but up with its jerking me and all the rpm's I like to ride.....but it just keeps running.

Welcome to the forum! In general, an o-ring chain should get you 20,000 miles unless you are in a lot of harsh conditions. When you get to the change point, it's good to do front and rear sprockets and the chain so they wear evenly. I try to keep the chain reasonably clean and when I decide to lube the chain, I use Chain Wax brand lube. "Technically" the o-ring chain is supposed to stay lubed and sorta sealed but I think that is under optimum conditions. Again, welcome. Gary

OK First I don't like chains.... Now I feel better. Sorry needed to get that off my bag. So now tat I have replaced the chain and both sprokets. How do I get the most out of this mess. What are suggestions for maintance. Presently I check tension keep it clean and use wd-40 to keep it that way. The chain is a high end o-ring chain. What if any are your ideas are there snake oils out there you have had good luck with. The bike is a 2001 650gs. I cant tell you how many times I have almost sold it. Bought it used when I clean it up I but up with its jerking me and all the rpm's I like to ride.....but it just keeps running.
Not sure but I think wd-40 displaces oil. I think you need a specific chain lubricant.

WD40 is not chain oil for modern chains some use it to clean the chain but even that is suspect by many experts. I've used chain cleaner and a brush then a purpose chain oil or wax for the last 15 years and have always gotten over 20,000 miles even on high performance big torque sport bikes including Honda VTR's and Ducatis.

Any decent chain should last you about 20Kish miles.

Clean it and lube it however you feel like (I used to run a scott oiler system), my main advise is for maximum service life, keep the chain on the loose end of whatever spec BMW has for it. A little too loose is better than even a little too tight. You start running them too tight and you start burning up not only the chain but bearings at the same time. Some of which are a PITA to change if you need to change them.

Some of the rest of your post is kinda hard to read/understand but I got the jist of the chain part.

For chain lubrication on a sealed type chain I suggest the DuPont Teflon Chain Saver lube. It dries nice and doesnt sling all over the place like most other lubes.

The folks in The Chain Gang (F650.com) like ATF. I have been using it on my bikes for several years and love it. About every second tank of fuel I wipe the chain with ATF on paper towels. The first pass the towels are covered with crud, the second time around very clean just red from the ATF. At 20,000 miles + my F650GS chain looks like new.

So much stuff said:)

Time in game usually equals a ton of knowledge. I'll share some:). Most chain lubes today are for for pretty wheels, not chain life! The sticky, no throw lubes also attract about every bit of grit the day offers on the road all day and this kills chains, no question. A lesser lighter oil as in WD40 or ATF may require more daily grind in maintanace, adding lube, wiping,etc but well worth it in life of chains. The sticky lubes and even chain waxes have ALL left me wondering where their interests lye. Selling chains most probable. I'm much older than many here and riding all my life, finding better ways is usually a winner, not buying the general sales gimicks found out there. My current KLR650 has been with WD40 for 22000m now and the chain/sprocket is still strong, go figure. Keep the orings happy, as they are the grease holders,(grease) installed at chain factories. Randy

Back