• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery Tender '06 R1200GS

bobframe

I need a "smart" battery charger for my '06 GS that I can leave plugged up to the bike whenever its stored and not worry about damage to either bike or battery. I've had great luck with a Battery Tender on my ST1300, but am concerned about the BMW electrical system. I'm sure BMW sells one, but I'd like to find one that is closer and cheaper.

Suggestions?

Many thanks,

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the Battery Tender, or even the full size one. I have used them for many years with no problems. As soon as I get home I connect it and forget it using a fused pigtail.

Wayne

Battery Tender

I have all 3. Problem with the junior is it won't charge if battery is very low, say if owner left something on and killed the battery. Full size battery tender works well also. I use mine on my 1150. Optimate will charge thru the canbus power ports and has additional features to de-sulphate (sp?) the battery. All three will maintain well. I use jr on the versys, full size bt on the 1150, and optimate on the canbus rt. in my opinion, worth the extra $50, but all will work. My dealer sells the optimate if that means anything.

Battery Tender

I am not a battery expert, but when I bought my full size BT I was instructed to get one for a gel cell battery which charges slightly different. New ones may be switchable but not when I purchased.

I use Sears smart charger/monitors for about $30 wired directly to the battery terminals.

BTW, I'd recommend using a christmas tree light timer so that you can program the charger/monitor to come on only about an hour each day ... 24/7 is overkill.

BTW, I'd recommend using a christmas tree light timer so that you can program the charger/monitor to come on only about an hour each day ... 24/7 is overkill.
But isn't this what the "smart" charger is all about? Thought it could "read" the battery and only apply what charging was needed....thus allowing a lazy owner, such as myself, to plug it up and then fully ignore the whole thing. I have used such a charger on my Honda and left it unattended for weeks at a time with no ill effects.

I would connect the charger directly to the battery, so using an accessory port is of little benefit to me.

Battery Tender

I would connect the charger directly to the battery, so using an accessory port is of little benefit to me.

Works either way. I said the same but ultimately found the accessory port easier and with less clutter.

Works either way. I said the same but ultimately found the accessory port easier and with less clutter.
Actually, the more I pondered this, the more I like the idea of connecting a battery tender straight into one of these powerlet outlets. Do I have this right? IOW, add a powerlet adapter to the SAE connection on the Battery tender and plug straight into the accessory outlet? If so, this is more elegant than having to connect leads to the battery and fish the cable out to where I can attach it to tender leads.

Battery Tender

Actually, the more I pondered this, the more I like the idea of connecting a battery tender straight into one of these powerlet outlets. Do I have this right? IOW, add a powerlet adapter to the SAE connection on the Battery tender and plug straight into the accessory outlet? If so, this is more elegant than having to connect leads to the battery and fish the cable out to where I can attach it to tender leads.

Tecmate comes with powerlet male and clips and sae. You have your choice.

I have all 3. Problem with the junior is it won't charge if battery is very low, say if owner left something on and killed the battery. Full size battery tender works well also. I use mine on my 1150. Optimate will charge thru the canbus power ports and has additional features to de-sulphate (sp?) the battery. All three will maintain well. I use jr on the versys, full size bt on the 1150, and optimate on the canbus rt. in my opinion, worth the extra $50, but all will work. My dealer sells the optimate if that means anything.

Does it take a "special" charger such as the Optimate to charge through the accesory plugs? That is, does the CAN-bus system dictate a unique charging technology?

Does it take a "special" charger such as the Optimate to charge through the accesory plugs? That is, does the CAN-bus system dictate a unique charging technology?

There has been a lot of discussion about this since the accessory socket was connected to the ZFE in about 2005...but I think the answer is no. Connecting any charger to the socket will keep the circuit on until the charger goes to float and then it may or may not switch off. It's a lot simpler to connect a pigtail to the battery and be done with it.

Accessory Socket Charging

When I got my 1150 I used the accessory socket to charge (its an 04) I thought it was the best idea ever. However now it wont charge through the socket & I had thought maybe my tender had issues, so I borrowed one from a friend, turns out it wont charge through the socket either. Not sure if it is the socket itself or something else in the system yet. In talking to my dealership they said BMW no longer recommends using the accessory socket for charging, so i use pigtails on it & the RT.

Battery Tender

The answer is yes. The charger must be canbus aware and send a signal to open the circuit before charging begins. Thus "smart". A regular charger will not work thru a factory CANBUS port.

Battery Tender

I contend that nothing is more simple than a canbus charger plugged into any factory socket. Look ma no wires. It ain't cheaper though. With my RT $50 is nothing, so I took the easy route. Of course that was after taking the other route. Luckily I needed a second charger anyway for another bike.

Back