• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 R1200RT - Wunderlich Front Protection Bars

b25bsaboy

Good day!

recently put a set of the BMW R1200RT front engine protection guards on my 2009 R12RT. Fairly straight forward, but after I installed them began to look at the clearance of the outer tips of the bars relevant to the stand off distance between the outer oil cover. It appears to be less and than 1". My question is, is that enough, as my BMW factory Airheads tip over bars really stick out. Has anyone had any experience in this matter? Or am I just being anal?:banghead
Would anyone recommends the rear set of saddle bag protection bar as well from Wunderlich?:scratch

Attachments

• P1070850.jpg
    P1070850.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Wunderlich Rear Guards

In my experience the rear guards do not work for 2 up riding. Installed a set and removed them after 1/2 a city block. Sold them at a loss on the Flea Market as Wunderlich has a no return policy.

I have the Wunderlich engine guards and the rear guards on a 2008RT and they work well.

Anthony, If they work well, is that from experience in dropping the bike, thus you had adequate protection from damaging the head valve covers?

Very good question. i'm now watching this thread because I was thinking about getting them too.

I had a near zero mph drop onto the right side, with the rear bags off the bike. The Wunderlich front bars allowed some scrapes toward the rear of the valve cover that would not have occurred if the bags had been mounted or if I had the Wunderlich rear bars. I filled the scrapes with epoxy and repainted the bars and valve cover - looks good as new.

My feeling is that BMW should design tip over protection into the bike as Honda does with the ST. Tip overs are inevitable. There is no reason that expensive and critical parts should be left unprotected.

I had a near zero mph drop onto the right side, with the rear bags off the bike. The Wunderlich front bars allowed some scrapes toward the rear of the valve cover that would not have occurred if the bags had been mounted or if I had the Wunderlich rear bars. I filled the scrapes with epoxy and repainted the bars and valve cover - looks good as new.

My feeling is that BMW should design tip over protection into the bike as Honda does with the ST. Tip overs are inevitable. There is no reason that expensive and critical parts should be left unprotected.

I totally agree with your last line

Anthony, If they work well, is that from experience in dropping the bike, thus you had adequate protection from damaging the head valve covers?

My bike came with a few light scratches on the bags. I put the rear guards on and have dropped it in 0 mph situations and they worked. Also dropped the bike after putting the front guards on and they worked well. All these drops occured before I had the bike lowered with Wilber's shocks

+2 and should be a standard equipment item as the old Air Head front tip over bars were?

Last edited:
Good day!

recently put a set of the BMW R1200RT front engine protection guards on my 2009 R12RT. Fairly straight forward, but after I installed them began to look at the clearance of the outer tips of the bars relevant to the stand off distance between the outer oil cover. It appears to be less and than 1". My question is, is that enough, as my BMW factory Airheads tip over bars really stick out. Has anyone had any experience in this matter? Or am I just being anal?:banghead
Would anyone recommends the rear set of saddle bag protection bar as well from Wunderlich?:scratch

I have these bars. I dropped my bike turning it around on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere with them. The head covers still got scratched a little, but I didn't get a hole in them. You don't want the bars to stick out because it limits ground clearance for turns. Crash bars shouldn't contribute to a crash!!!

I like these because you can adjust the valves and change oil without removing the bars. Several other kinds require a massive PITA procedure to get to the valves. You got the right ones!

:thumb

I like these because you can adjust the valves and change oil without removing the bars. Several other kinds require a massive PITA procedure to get to the valves.

Good point. I've found that by pulling the top out slightly, and rotating toward the front (with care), I can even remove the lower fairing without removing the bars.

The wunderlick bars wont inhibit plastic removal

The only time I've had to move the bars is when I changed the generator belt

Back