• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Pedal powered (for now) in TX

CJRTRIO

Hello to all you quality people.

I aims to get a large heavy cruisable preloved flat twin boxer with a round headlight and low miles and (capability to have) a windshield, give it a sexy female germanic name, and begin to run up the odometer lovingly. Have peeked at the flea market - figure I'll find a nice kid there up for adoption.

Peace. Be Safe
CJRTrio

Welcome to the forum, CJRTrio -

Along with the pedal power, you could also give out some vrooom-vrooom sounds to get you in the mood! :wave What kind of bike are you looking for? Where are you hoping to ride in Texas?

Thanks, Kurt.

Well, first the where part. Dallas, and I plan to do some riding when it's hot, including putting around town to the pool or the studio in hot July weather. I want to get this dimension right (I saw your "very low threshold for this kind of thing" comment and yes I could not ruin a motor and live with myself). Also will ride distances in Texas year round (can't sit still thinking about it - gimme my motor).

My secret motorcycle-selecting/stock-market-predicting/bomb-sniffing decision heuristic points to R1100R (no clean ones around that I see), less so R1150R. There's an R1100S in my area I'll go see - but I'm guessing it won't be as comfy and cruisey for mister right hip left knee challenged. But...it's clean on paper and very lo miles and reasonable and if it is clean in person, it may crash the heuristic program...again...;)

Clues to other posts to read? Thanks.

Thank you for your service.

cjrtrio

Not sure of year and price range you are looking for but here is one just down the road in Houston. A bit pricey but they are out there if you take your time.http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3578842905.html

And here is a sweet deal on a 2008 with cases just up the road in Memphis. http://memphis.craigslist.org/mcd/3577586514.html

But if you are looking for a bit less expensive and older here is one in Brownwood. http://austin.craigslist.org/mcd/3557233485.html

Here are a couple on the TWT forum.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81365&highlight=BMW+r1150r
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68046&highlight=BMW+r1150r

They would all make for a fun adventure in retrieving anyone of them.

Last edited:
Shoot I wasn't clear enough. I had already found most of these links and am waiting to hear from some of them. I was hoping you would clue me in to hot engine links (e.g. ones that compare R bikes to K bikes)!! Didn't mean for you guys to be my agents...but thanks... :blush

Was really concentrating on the r1100r but I am officially warming up to the r1150r (lots of good reasons to do so).

Thanks again. I'll update on progress.

Welcome! I'm pretty new to the forum myself. I started my ridding experience with an R1100R (first and only bike) and I think I'm a bit spoiled now. Found mine in Decatur of all places with 33k on the clock, almost 46k on it now ;)

I've ridden others that my friends own but there is something about the R...

I prefer the looks of the 1150, never ridden one but I hear the sitting position on the 1100 is more like the RT and a bit more comfortable.

Good luck in your hunt! I have my eye on the 1100S next, it is SEXY!

Exhale

Good luck in your hunt! I have my eye on the 1100S next, it is SEXY!

1911XD: Funny you said that - proud owner of a very clean 99 R1100S with 16K miles. Gots me a flat twin boxer - check off bucket list.

All: I am preparing to:
* Renew all fluids myself (have a nice big Sealey vac pump I've used once - some drips but successful)
* Adjust headlight (has gs torque arm so it's low) - might go back to stock arm if it's easy
* It's been suggested I have the poly v belt replaced due to age
* A repair guy (ie service salesman!) who rides a boxer cup says mine vibrated more than his {chuckle} and to do throttles
* Make my turn sig cancel switch taller so my thumb doesn't get sore (ala kontrol freek for xbox controller, per my son)
* Have valves adjusted (unless it was done at 12 k - can't remember what receipt said)
* Commence to carefully incrementing the digits on the odo

I am patiently in research mode now and will be quiet for a while. Have sick 4runner I need to tend to and I have to sell an 88 Ducati Paso 750 and buy some decent clothes to ride in.

People, I'm into custom-made drumsets, instanbul K cymbals, custom guitars/Collings guitars, boutique amps (Komet), other stuff I can't mention...but...this...this is some sick s. What IS the matter with us?

See you on the road - be more careful than you want to be.

Attachments

• IMG_0568[1].jpg
    IMG_0568[1].jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 16
Back