• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

04 R1150-RS Brake Rotors

I think it is my outside pad that is consistently the worn one but I really would have to look now. The caliper has to be removed during rear wheel removal and I know the shop folks well. I tell them to look, if one is more than 2/3 worn, just change it when a tire is put on as I know it won't last until the next tire change. It is an easy job but since I don't have an indoor place to do this, it just works to let them do it while they have the caliper in their hands.

As for the wear. I am just scratching some numbers on paper here for the idea. I got the bike at 7800 miles a little over 4 yrs ago. I noticed the rear rotor wearing and discussed it when doing tires. Once the ridge on the outside of the rotor was about the thickness of a worn penny I swapped for another one. A penny new is 1.55 mm thick. Figure a worn one is a little below 1.5 mm then. It seemed worn about the same on the inside If I can put a penny flush in the worn area then with each side it has worn about 3 mm. When I changed the rear rotor the bike was at 98,000 miles so that makes it about 33,000 miles / mm of wear. Yes I agree the rotor was a bit thin. Still the bulk of the stopping is done by the front. The rear had a minor pulse to it that had first been noticed around 15,000 miles and had remained the same. It was only detected when the bike was barely rolling traffic going about about walking speed (like down hill in very slow traffic). I most likely will change the rotor again this time when a worn dime can almost fit in that space.

Is there foolishness here with this?

NCS

Brakes are for stopping, or dramatic slowdowns. Running the twities on a big-bore twin? that's all about the motor and being smooth. Like Andy, i have been accussed of having non-functioning brake lights. I let new riding mates know beforehand that if they ever see my brake lights, it's for a very good reason.

I have been told my brake light was not working more than I can count...some of my older buddies don't like following me in the twisties...different styles for sure:laugh

I have been riding a newly rescued /6 the past few days...it doesn't stop well anyways compared to any of our post '95 bikes, so I don't use the brakes unless coming to a full stop. The motor does the work for me.

I am not getting too much into this particular discussion, but...using just the motor to slow down may be good advice when you just ride vintage bikes where the motor is anemic and the front brake is a cosmetic item anyway. When you ride a more modern bike that has any performance, you want to use your brakes. I installed stainless steel brake lines on most of my bikes, including my R100S, and I rely on my front brake to slow me down to the right speed at the entrance of a turn. I guess it is a matter of one's preferred riding style. But consider that above a certain speed you may encounter rear wheel hop and , worse, blocking of the rear wheel, when you try to use your "engine brake".
There is a reason, manufacturers put slipper clutches even in street bikes.

Mike, you might want to take a read on a thread i started called "The Pace" over in Motorrad. Don't know that it will dissuade you of your notions, but it might at least give you an alternative perspective.

i've not quite figured out why you guys are busily measuring your pad thickness to determine pad wear and how much life is remaining. Why not just use the wear markers that are part of a brake pad's construction?

Mike, you might want to take a read on a thread i started called "The Pace" over in Motorrad. Don't know that it will dissuade you of your notions, but it might at least give you an alternative perspective.

Individual riding styles vary. And so do the opinions of what constitutes a proficient riding style. If you listen to Fred Rau you may get a different advice than you get from Keith Code or Clemens Salvatori as opposed to Kevin Cameron.
If we needed front brakes only to come to a stop, and rely on the motor to bring us down from speed, we would not need dual rotors, radial mounted four piston calipers and stainless steel lines.
I can take it a up a notch: I have a bike where I prefer cast iron rotors over stainless steel ones.

Brook & NCS - take a look at the rear master cylinder actuator rod and make sure there is freeplay in the pedal. If the pedal stop was adjusted to push the pedal down without shortening the actuator rod, the rear brake may never release fully. Likewise, if you ride with your boot covering the pedal, you may always be depressing it slightly.

mike- i brought up the The Pace as a way of pointing out that the excessive rotor wear that Brook is experiencing might be a result of too frequent brake use, rather than what he termed "heavy" braking. you implied that a modern bike needs to be dragged down from speed for safe corner entry speeds, thus the existence of dual discs, ss lines, radial calipers, slipper clutches, etc. The Pace suggests that such frantic antics are generally not needed on the street, and that there is no need to drag down from speed if your straight line speeds are held to similar levels as your corner speeds.
In a similar vein, accident avoidance techniques such as "lay 'er down" (HA!), or full on panic braking are also generally unnecessary, if one employs superior SEE techniques.
hey, ride the way you like, it makes no never mind to anyone else.

The only guys that mind pre corner braking are the ones behind you! :laugh
"Don't like yer brakes much do ya" is something I hear a lot and I normally get asked to just go ahead and lead because often I seem to get up everyone's pipes in corners which drives me and them nuts.

I just find riding at the same speed into corners and as I exit them down the straights works for me. I like that smooth entry, spot the exit and lean as much as required technique of getting through turns. I guess that is what "The Pace" is all about and it does not require a whole lot of braking except when one gets ahead of oneself. :p Hey, it happens!

This thread has taken an interesting turn though. I didn't think about it till it was mentioned but last time I changed my rear pads on the '00 RT I'm pretty sure the outside pad was more worn than the inside one as others have noted. The actuator rod is adjusted properly so that ain't it. I also make sure any corrosion on the mount pins is cleaned up before they go back together. Hmmmm..I'm going to have to take another look at that now.

Considering Brook's location, front brake wear should be in excess of what the flatlanders like myself have. (unless he only heads East) Engine braking isn't enough to correct entry speed coming down the mountain. The rear wear and heat are bothersome.

Brook & NCS - take a look at the rear master cylinder actuator rod and make sure there is freeplay in the pedal. If the pedal stop was adjusted to push the pedal down without shortening the actuator rod, the rear brake may never release fully. Likewise, if you ride with your boot covering the pedal, you may always be depressing it slightly.

Thanks for the prompt to check. I have in the past and it has free play. I tend to ride with ball of foot on the peg, not covering or beside the rear pedal. I have a buddy whose boot edge will catch the pedal and depress it lightly even though he thinks his foot is clear of the pedal.

As for the other remarks. Yes when doing rapid transitions as in 140>50 the brakes are heavily used along with down shifting to be in proper gear. I have been amazed at how hard you can brake and have it feel like your eyes are bulging out in front. GRIN.

For riding in the mountains (or just places where you are changing speeds up and down very frequently) I am usually above 1/2 to rev limit (9400 rpms and K12RS has not flywheel) in riding. Roll off throttle at 8000 rpms and the bike slows and you roll on throttle as you settle into the beginning of turn. Very little brake. If needing more slowing yes use the front. Same if bike is at 5000, not so much response if at 2800.

For most planned stops coming off Interstate, up ramp, a few down shifts brings the bike to below 25 easily. I do touch brakes lightly mainly for flashing rear brake light.

All that to say, yeah I use brakes, yes I use revs. very very seldom use rear brake alone. yes check pads as no early warning system on K12RS. Wear pattern remains constant on rear at 15k>18k. Yes I think that is too often. It is what it is however.

Life is grand and varied and filled with a multitude of discussions and opinions. Isn't it great?

NCS

Considering Brook's location, front brake wear should be in excess of what the flatlanders like myself have. (unless he only heads East) Engine braking isn't enough to correct entry speed coming down the mountain. The rear wear and heat are bothersome.

i dunno, engine braking works pretty fine for me. (and if you notice, i'm riding pretty much the same stuff Brook is).

Back