• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Saddle bags 1995 K75

Lasmatpet

Hello,
My name is Ludwig and I own a 1995 k75. I am looking for saddle bags and heard that there are new and old models. I wonder what the difference are : is it only style or functionality. How can I determine if they will fit. Thankyou

Ludwig,

OK, on to the answers to your questions.

The OFFICIAL name for the cases (saddlebags) that fit the early K-bikes (1982-1999, All K75, K100, and K1100) is Integral Cases. Other model newer bike cases are called System Cases. Earlier Airheads used Touring Cases.

The Integral Cases came in three "generations".

Generation one (1982-around 1987 or 1988) is the least desirable as it uses Samsonite luggage style flat keys that cannot be keyed to the ignition key. The keys are not easy to find if you need extras. These cases are distinguished by a small rectangular tab on the top of the latch. This flat tab covers the key hole. The latches appear flat.

Generation two (around '88 to early '90s) uses standard round tumbler style locks that can be keyed to the ignition key, however the key hole faces in toward the bike making it awkward to open the latches. The latches have a large hump (where the lock tumbler lives) on top.

Both generation 1 and two have textured lids, strap style handles, roundel IN FRONT of the reflector, and can not fit a full face helmet.

Generation three bags (the most desirable) (early to late '90s) are larger (deeper) and will fit a full face helmet. The locks face out so it is much easier to open the latches. These are the standard round style so you can key them to your ignition key. The lids are smooth finish, they have rigid folding handles, the roundel is ABOVE the reflector, and they have very prominent scuff pads on the leading and lower edges of the lids.

The mounts are the same for all K75, K100 and K1100 bikes, so any generation will fit on any of those bikes.

One thing you do have to look out for on Gen 3 cases: they made integral cases for the F650. Those used a different rear half on the left side to clear the F650 muffler resulting in much less capacity on that bag. As long as they are K-bike cases, you'll be fine. Just make sure they are not for an F650.

Some late Airheads (from the "90s) used the same mounts and Integral cases as the K-bikes, others used the older Krauser style Touring Cases.

There are also the attache style, no longer available and rarely seen, City Cases. These are square, only 6 or 7 inches deep with a fixed handle at the top. These fit on the same mounts as the Integral Cases. If you're only carrying some papers and a sandwich, these work ok, but they are NOT for touring.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Integral cases

Hello Lee,
Thank for taking the time to educate me on the different type of cases. It will allow me to make a better choice when I come across some of the cases for sale. I put an inquiry out and have gotten three responses. All three rider have been generous with their information. I am afraid that all three do not have the generation 3 cases. Thank you again.
Ludwig

Also, bags from LTs and RTs will have painted lids instead of the naturally black ABS finish. Any scratches on the painted ones are more noticeable. You might want to stay away from the painted ones.

:dance:dance:dance

>>There are also the attache style, no longer available and rarely seen, City Cases.<<

And these are my favorite for "around town" use.

photo92.jpg

I have an '88 K75S (manufactured July '87) and it has the generation 2 cases (plus a top case not in the picture). I would love to get a set of generation 3 cases with painted lids one day and have them painted to match my bike.

6769f901.jpg

Back