• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

03 RT Heated grip question

jwadedtx

Hi all,

The right heated grip has cracked and I can see a gold material under it. It seems to heat fine but I'd like to change the grips. Do you need to buy the full heated grip assembly from BMW or is the heating element under the grips?

Thanks,

Jon

thanks for the link. i knew they existed, but could not recall who had them available. they seem to be a hard-to-find item. now i can get rid of the gummy 12 y.o. ones on my bike. :D

Be gentle when removing the old ones. The heating element is a bit fragile.
Compressed air works well to release them from the element.

One sixtieth the cost!

Beats the $1200 quote that I got for doing this fix!
The fine wires are what makes them a bear to change out so its easier[faster/more profit] to replace the whole grip assembly.

link to heated grip over element replacement

It seems there are two types of heated grips. Some have the orange gold wrap, some have a more rubber welded version. I have linked a thread that has both shown in it. My 03 KRS had the rubber molded together and seems far more difficult to remove. Also have to watch for the wiring at the end of the grip. The orange /gold one you have to be more careful cutting off the old grip so you don't damage the underlying wire.

Good luck.. post up your results

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=28400&highlight=pos+grip

NCS

Have you considered BeemerBuddies to go over the handgrip? Yeah, I realize the old joke (cheapest thing on the Beemer is the operator) but it worked well for me in a similar situation, and I got a larger grip out of it.

Have you considered BeemerBuddies to go over the handgrip? Yeah, I realize the old joke (cheapest thing on the Beemer is the operator) but it worked well for me in a similar situation, and I got a larger grip out of it.

I 2nd this motion.

The left grip on my 2002 RT-P started to come apart on the underside of the grip. I had just purchased a new GSA, and in the process of asking what "must-have" after-market equipment I'd want on my GSA, I learned about BeemerBuddies. I ordered a set for both bikes, and they completely eliminated the "grip coming apart" problem on the RT-P. I've put about 5K miles since, and they don't show any wear whatsoever. It does not degrade the output of the heated grips at all. FWIW, I ride 200 miles a week, year-round in Seattle. I know a thing or two about riding in the cold, wet and dark :)

Back