• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Installing Crash Bars on 97 R1100RT

landcruiser15

I am installing Wunderlich crash bars on my 97 R1100RT and ran into a problem where the instructions don't match the bike. I am curious if anyone has had a similar issue. Specifically the crash bar bracket bolts onto a tab just behind the center stand with a counter sunk bolt. The instructions show a single tab but on my bike there are two tabs about 1-1/4" apart. One is attached to the catalytic converter and there is a rubber bushing between the brackets which I believe are vibration dampeners. It looks like I will have to create my own modification with a longer bolt, rubber washers, and a spacer to make it work. Just don't want to screw something that I am not seeing the potential problem now.

hmmmph

So that's what goes in there! When I changed my oil I noticed the tabs, but I don't have the bushings...

Sorry, I don't have an easy answer for you, but when you do let us know. I'm considering the same bars for my bike.

I agree with DarkCloud that you need more info and you should definitely get a hold of Wunderlich. Mounting crash bars to an exhaust support bracket does not seem right. I have the Ztechnic crash bars on my 1100RT and all three mount points are into the motor which on our bikes is really part of the bike's frame. They are solid as a rock mounted this way.

I have crash bars on my airheads too and they mount to the bike frame, not brackets or light mount points for other stuff. I have never seen crash bars that do not bolt either to the frame or engine in order to be robust enough to do the job.

crash bars

Might want to consider a set of Touratech head guards for your RT. You have to goggle R1150GS Touratech to find them. They fit the 1100's 1150's single and dual spark. Jon

Thanks for the replies. I did check with Wunderlich and they tell me the photo in the instructions is from a R1150 which has a different exhaust set up and to just not use the extra tabs. But I am still wondering if since they were used to dampen or secure the exhaust in part shouldn't they be used. Stay tuned as I explore further.

BMW discontinued the manufacture and availability of the rubber support bolts for the catalytic converter. Haven't used the bolts in years and I haven't seen any negative affects.

Back