• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is there a fuse panel on my 2010 RT

roadstar

Stopped & got gas today & when i turned the key i get the yellow triangle warning & also a light indacator with an arrow facing rear. So i check & have no tail light or brake lights. I looked for a location in my owners manual & they don`t show one (whats up with that). Boy 2 months ago i blow a left headlight now rear bulbs , should i get worried or is it normal for this on the 12RT`s. (had an 07FJR for 4 1/2 years & nothing ever went wrong with it) , so i`m a little pissed.

There's no replaceable fuses on the new bikes with canbus.
I would not be be pissed about a headlight bulb or taillight bulb burning out after three years.

Last edited:
GREAT!!!!!!!!!

Just what i didn`t want to hear, guess i`ll have to keep a supply of complete bulbs in my tank bag. :cry

thanks for answer lee

Last edited:
I think your RT headlight is like my K1300S, it has three H7/55W bulbs. Two high beam bulbs and one low beam. If a high beam burns out, don't bother with it until you find a parts store or Walmart. If the low beam burns out, replace it with one of the good high beam bulbs.
All you need to carry with you is a spare tailight bulb.

Went to my dealer today for tailight bulbs & there closed on mondays until spring. Any other place I could buy the rear bulbs, my days off are sun- mon so my dealer is no help to me until spring time.

Any other place I could buy the rear bulbs, .

Check a parts store or Walmart. There should be a number on the bulb and make sure your new bulb has the same number of contacts.
Looking online at your owners manual, it appears the taillight/brake bulb number is P21W.

P21W is the euro name for an 1156. They are available at any auto supply house or hardware store. Might even find one in your supermarket. Assuming, of course, that your bulb is a P21W.

P21W is the euro name for an 1156.

It's in fact the designation for a bulb with at least twice the quality of an 1156. I wouldn't really think of the USA as the leader of the automotive world.

P21W is in fact the standard brake/turn signal/backup/rear fog light bulb of Europe and OP can find them at VW, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche dealers, none of which close on Mondays like motorcycle dealers.

Thanks to the wonders of Canbus, a single filament bulb in this application serves as both tail and brake light.

It's in fact the designation for a bulb with at least twice the quality of an 1156. I wouldn't really think of the USA as the leader of the automotive world.

Somewhat irrelevant. Say your bulb is burned out and you can get an 1156 at the local hardware store or wait several days/weeks to get a P21W. What would you do? I'd put an 1156 in the bike and keep riding. So what if it burns out in 3 years. A two pack of the LL (Long Life) version cost < $4 last time I bought some (I used them in garden path lights, too).

Somewhat irrelevant. Say your bulb is burned out and you can get an 1156 at the local hardware store or wait several days/weeks to get a P21W. What would you do? I'd put an 1156 in the bike and keep riding. So what if it burns out in 3 years. A two pack of the LL (Long Life) version cost < $4 last time I bought some (I used them in garden path lights, too).

Thanks & will hit up local auto parts store for a couple of 1156`s

So i guess the taillights are wired like christamas lights , where one goes out both won`t lite.

So i guess the taillights are wired like christamas lights , where one goes out both won`t lite.

The two tail/stop light bulbs are wired in parallel, not series. If one goes out the the other should still work.

As to your original question, there are no fuses on the RT. The central electronics unit (also known as the ZFE) monitors the current on each circuit, and shuts down a circuit that draws too much current, as in a short circuit condition. Once the fault is corrected, the circuit will automatically reset after turning the ignition off, then back on. If a circuit draws too little current the ZFE will generate an error code and in some cases activate a warning light, as you have seen with your tail lamps.

Today i got a chance to take a look. Turned the key on & now all is fine ??? Both stop-tail lights are working, very strange. I did notice that after bike sat for a week on the maintainer , the starter went clunk - click, but let it sit for 30 sec or more & it fired right up. ( has a new BMW gell battery)

Back